Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:19 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

All of the cities dhave influence in their own regions, but if you put it into a broader picture, Boston would be eliminated first, because once you factor in the entire northeast, you have new york, philly, and dc, which will tower over boston. And really, much of connecticut is influenced by New York. And Vermont and New Hampshire dont really care about boston they are off doing their own thing. So really boston only dominates mass, Rhode Island, and parts of maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
He'll never face the question head on. You're dealing with an openly gay man with excessive self-loathing, as he chooses to defend a city and state that would rather see him dead than give him the right to marry or allow his partner to share in health benefits and inheritance rights. I've tried to tell him he's be much happier living in DC or Massachusetts, and much of his anger and frustration would disappear. He would have the full legal rights of everyone else and not be a second-class citizen like he is in Georgia and the South.

John used to make me angry with his inability and refusal to comprehend what the rest of us are trying to tell him. Now I just feel sad for him and his petulant attitude. John, just pack up and move to a place where you will have full equal rights. The capital of the New Confederacy is not a place for any gay man or lesbian. Come home, brother...
Why are you attacking people? Because he does not agree with you feel a need to blast people for no reason other than them having opinions contradictory of yours?WOW.Jut WOW.Arent we mighty and high on our horse.If you cared so much you would be organizing events ,appealing to legislators,protesting,or even given Johnatl information that might help free him from such oppressive state government politics.

Lets talk about this further since this is obviously and issue that you feel needs to be addressed.You live in D.C. so there is no state lwas,BUT there are federal laws.Federal law in the U.S. does not recognize marriage between the same sex and offers no protection from state to state.Wow that does ound pretty archaic.
Anyway I have a suggestion now that you have that news.It must be so terrible for you to accept this. Luckily Johnatl is a very well trained professional travel agent that maybe able to recommend a few places in Canada at this time of distress in you miserable existence in the U.S.of A.

Im sure he would be MORE than HAPPY to help you with your departure!!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think they are culturally quite distinct, there is an immediate difference in culture just driving over the FL/GA border.
You think so? I just traveled to Jacksonville two weekends ago and returned to GA via I-10 to I-75. Even though I haven't spent any time in either town, seems like there isn't a world of difference between Live Oak, FL and Valdosta, GA. I took the back roads to get to Jacksonville and Folkston, GA and Hilliard, FL seem like they're culturally connected at the hip. Honestly, that whole part of south GA and north FL (east of I-75/US 23) just kind of bleed together.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You think so? I just traveled to Jacksonville two weekends ago and returned to GA via I-10 to I-75. Even though I haven't spent any time in either town, seems like there isn't a world of difference between Live Oak, FL and Valdosta, GA. I took the back roads to get to Jacksonville and Folkston, GA and Hilliard, FL seem like they're culturally connected at the hip. Honestly, that whole part of south GA and north FL (east of I-75/US 23) just kind of bleed together.
Yes I dont know how anyone could say its not similar at all.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
All of the cities dhave influence in their own regions, but if you put it into a broader picture, Boston would be eliminated first, because once you factor in the entire northeast, you have new york, philly, and dc, which will tower over boston. And really, much of connecticut is influenced by New York. And Vermont and New Hampshire dont really care about boston they are off doing their own thing. So really boston only dominates mass, Rhode Island, and parts of maine.
It's not asking about the Northeast though...it's just talking about New England, which--with the exception of Southwestern CT--Boston does dominate.

The only city that really "towers" over Boston is New York City. Washington DC is considerably more important than Boston, but I'd give Boston a pretty decent edge over Philadelphia.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes I dont know how anyone could say its not similar at all.
I remember driving from Clemson, SC to Tallahassee, FL (bet you can guess why!) while I was in college...I believe the rural, backwoods areas of Southern Georgia and (from admittedly limited experience) Central/Upper non-coastal Florida do blend together culturally. However I felt that Tallahassee, while it did share a lot of the "deep South" culture, did have something different which was uniquely Floridian. I can't really put my finger on it, but there was a different feel to it (maybe it was just the fact that it was a city and everything else was country).

However once you get towards the Florida coast, it's a whole different ballgame (from my personal experience...I've never been to Jax, so maybe it's different there).

Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Nope, there isn't in THAT part... I am talking from Tallahassee and west hugging the coast, basically following around highway 98, but straight down 75 and around Jacksonville it is similar. That 75 corridor is pretty similar no doubt. But cities 20 miles or so around the gulf coast are different. The terrain changes, getting a lot of palm trees and shrub areas, lot of intercoastal waterways....So does the culture, more tuned into a culture surrounding the beach and coastal areas, that is distinctively Old Florida in the panhandle areas.

Last edited by grapico; 05-13-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
18 pages and it seems like people still don't know what New England means.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It's not asking about the Northeast though...it's just talking about New England, which--with the exception of Southwestern CT--Boston does dominate.

The only city that really "towers" over Boston is New York City. Washington DC is considerably more important than Boston, but I'd give Boston a pretty decent edge over Philadelphia.
I know a little more because my parents traveled as do I as an adult, but many people don't have a clue about where New England is.Even with my limited knowledge(at the time)I thought Delaware was New England until I got my first assignment orders in the Air Force.

The culture is totally different that in the South or really than anywhere else in th U.S.Its strange in that regard,the South and New England are similar.

Traditions are very strong
Family ties and connections run deep.Can be very xenophobic "cliquish"
People are very proud to be from there and are extremely patriotic(although Southerners may be louder about it)

Most people in America no matter what region think New England includes New York and Pennsylvania.Of course not true,but this explains why most cannot see that of this thread the clear and correct answer can only be Boston over Atlanta or Chicago.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
War? I like Atlanta but many "boosters" in your city think they are the be all and end all of the South which isn't true. The ego is just huge and you never hear that type of boosterism from Miami and truth be told most people here think more about NYC or wherever they came from than Atlanta.
As far as business is concerned that maybe true but my point was the ATL doesn't have that strong of a influence in Florida.
Florida is a million miles from Illinois but when I was down there a lot of the transplants were from the big cities on the east coast.

Almost like florida was East vs. South Just my observation. that was a long long time ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City