Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro is cheaper?
San Diego 7 5.88%
Los Angeles 4 3.36%
San Francisco Bay Area 2 1.68%
Portland 98 82.35%
Seattle 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,422 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Roseville, California, which is a suburb half an hourish northeast of Sacramento. I have also lived in Renton Washington, a direct suburb of Seattle (10/15 minutes from it) and now currently live in Santa Cruz California.
As for the "bay area" feel of Sacramento, that is completely not true in my experience. Sacramento is similar to Portland but is far less "green" thinking and has a pretty crappy transportation system in comparison. It is cheaper then Portland but the price difference isn't astronomical.
Also, the whole "liberal" aspect of Sacramento many are talking about does NOT apply to the suburbs and region as a whole. Place County (where i lived) is mostly republican and the surrounding area (Sacramento County) is mixed (mostly because Sacramento is farming/ag). Yes, its not as conservative as Alabama or the midwest but it is NOT San Francisco at all.
Additionally, despite the rain that permeates the northwest 6-8 months out of the year, the climate is mostly temperate. Yes it snows sometimes, and it is much colder then anything California experiences, but I would easily take that over Sacramentos 95 plus temperature from late May until August(sometimes Septemeber/October). As an individual who did marching band and track, the heat is draining and hard to work in. Sacramento experiences many days where the air quality is so unhealthy that citizens are alarmed not to stay outside. Its not quite as bad as the valley of Los Angeles, but its still pretty bad.
The crime can be pretty bad also as you head towards Modesto/Stockton/Galt (I highly discourage anyone from moving to these areas unless they have to). Sacramento isnt that safe either, but neither is Portland.

Personally, I would rather live in the Pacific Northwest surrounded by trees, rain and progressive thinking folk. I am also a democrat and fairly liberal (hence living in Santa Cruz) so take my advice as a grain of salt if you feel otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmthornt View Post
I was raised in Roseville, California, which is a suburb half an hourish northeast of Sacramento. I have also lived in Renton Washington, a direct suburb of Seattle (10/15 minutes from it) and now currently live in Santa Cruz California.
As for the "bay area" feel of Sacramento, that is completely not true in my experience. Sacramento is similar to Portland but is far less "green" thinking and has a pretty crappy transportation system in comparison. It is cheaper then Portland but the price difference isn't astronomical.
Also, the whole "liberal" aspect of Sacramento many are talking about does NOT apply to the suburbs and region as a whole. Place County (where i lived) is mostly republican and the surrounding area (Sacramento County) is mixed (mostly because Sacramento is farming/ag). Yes, its not as conservative as Alabama or the midwest but it is NOT San Francisco at all.
Additionally, despite the rain that permeates the northwest 6-8 months out of the year, the climate is mostly temperate. Yes it snows sometimes, and it is much colder then anything California experiences, but I would easily take that over Sacramentos 95 plus temperature from late May until August(sometimes Septemeber/October). As an individual who did marching band and track, the heat is draining and hard to work in. Sacramento experiences many days where the air quality is so unhealthy that citizens are alarmed not to stay outside. Its not quite as bad as the valley of Los Angeles, but its still pretty bad.
The crime can be pretty bad also as you head towards Modesto/Stockton/Galt (I highly discourage anyone from moving to these areas unless they have to). Sacramento isnt that safe either, but neither is Portland.

Personally, I would rather live in the Pacific Northwest surrounded by trees, rain and progressive thinking folk. I am also a democrat and fairly liberal (hence living in Santa Cruz) so take my advice as a grain of salt if you feel otherwise.
I would have to disagree with you about the Bay Area feel of Sacramento.

Yes, Roseville and south placer county have very little bay area feel, especially regarding summer weather. Politically, Roseville is one of the most republican areas of California, but that does not represent the whole of the Sacto Metro. Overall, the Sacto metro is by far one of the most moderate places in the US with a strong twist of conservative on one end (Roseville) and a strong dolup of Liberal on the other end (Davis).

Weather wise: In the summer, there are parts of the Sacramento Metro that are hotter than others and that do not experience the dramatic cooling affects of our famous Delta Breeze. Roseville rarely experiences the true cooling effects of the Delta Breeze the way South Sacramento, North Sac and Downtown experience it especially in the evening and night.

Calling the Sacto Metro farming and AG is ancient history.

I personally would take Sacramento's 6 months of cloudless skys over 9 months of Portlands endless gray. Our summers are mostly a pleasant dry heat that is easily better than most of the US in terms of overall humidity and heat index. Yes, our air quality could be better in the summer.

Sacramento, especially the core is very eco-green and takes it's ques from SF. Sacto is just as eco-green or greener than most other metros, but not as green as Portland or SF.

Sacramento has a highly used light rail system but it does not go to Roseville and most of Placer county refuses to ever be a part of it. However, there is a commuter train that connects the entire Sacto Metro including Roseville with the Bay Area.

You can be a liberal democrat, progressive and green and be surrounded by many, many other vegan-inspired souls (just not Roseville), Sacto is heavily influenced by the Bay Area. West Sacramento has a openly gay male democratic mayor. Sacramento's mayor is black, progressive, and a democrat.

You can also be a liberaterian tea partier and socially conservative and fit in Sacramento, especially if you live in Carmichael or Roseville/South Placer County.

Galt is does not have a crime problem.

Modesto is actually a wondeful community,but it is not part of Sacramento it's 75 miles away. It is an ex-urb of the Bay Area.

Stockton is not part of Sacramento and is separated by 35 miles of green space that can't ever be developed.

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-03-2011 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
What makes you think its Portlanders who are voting for Portland? Its a simple fact that Portland is less expensive than the other cities in the poll, no homerism necessary to know that.

The proof is in the pudding.. its also why several want to locate there too. Rents go up slowly considering people keep moving there too. Unless maybe not as many people move to Portland like they say. Traffic looks normal like an everyday place.. transplants don't flood every part. Maybe things are made out to be more than what they are.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Probably true, but the ocean is one of the reasons I'd want to move out there.
You did put Portland on there. I don't believe Portland is by the ocean.

Sacramento's definitely the most affordable major West Coast city.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Oh, you guys misunderstood me. I would be surprised if the amount of commuters between Sacramento and the Bay Area was even at 2% (where it was last census) at this point, given how hard the housing market has crashed and the increasing prices of gas making it unfeasible. In fact, I have relatives out in places like Vallejo, Martinez, and Fairfield who commute to Sacramento than people in Sacramento commuting to the Bay Area.

I retract my statement of Sacramento beginning to act like a Bay Area exurb, even considering how many people from the Bay consider moving there and commuting to work IN the Bay for cheaper housing prices. It's stupid, yes, but it happens for at least a really small segment of the population. However, as a caveat, its nowhere near as dependent on the Bay Area as a place like Stockton or Tracy (or San Joaquin County in general). It's more of a symbiotic relationship between the Bay Area and Sacramento, not one of dependence.

One thing that I'm beginning to notice about the Sac area is that its economy is beginning to shift away from state government toward more diverse endeavors. That's why I have a much higher hope in the place than I do for a place like the Inland Empire, which is mostly made up of retail and construction jobs with a huge chunk of people commuting to LA/OC for work. Out of all the Inland California cities, Sacramento is by far the best bang for the buck and the one with the most to offer. The IE is ok, but commuting 50-60 miles isn't exactly what I call a 'dream situation'

Interestingly enough, San Bernardino (locally called 'San Bernaghetto') has a HIGHER cost of living than Sacramento. For those familiar with San Bernardino, its sort of shocking considering that its nearly the same distance from the coast as Sacramento is.

http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Be...alifornia.html
San Bernardino Cost of living index: 114.6

Sure, Big Bear is right there, but really, you can't compare Big Bear/Lake Arrowhead to Lake Tahoe or the Sierra Nevada mountains. Trust me, I've been to both. There's a REASON why people choose to drive 5-6 hours to Mammoth as opposed to staying in the local SoCal mountains.
Don't compare Sacramento to the Inland Empire. Sacramento has a lot more intellectual resources. It is the capital. It has better weather and more beautiful natural scenery.

Also, Sacramento has a rich history and cultural resources that the Inland Empire just does not have.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Comparison of Temecula Valley to Sacramento:
- Mountains ( Temecula is 30 miles to Palomar Mountains, 80 miles to ski resorts in San Bernardino Mountains. Downtown Sacramento to Lake Tahoe ski resorts is 100 miles.)
- 30 miles to ocean from Temecula vs 80+ miles in Sacramento and Temecula has warmer beaches.
- Close to: Sacramento is 86 miles to Downtown San Francisco, 67 miles to Walnut Creek, and 115 miles to San Jose. Temecula is 86 miles to Downtown Los Angeles, 63 miles to Irvine, 44 miles to Riverside, 30 miles to North San Diego, and 58 miles to Downtown San Diego.
- Great universities including Claremont Colleges, UCLA, UCSD, USC, UC Irvine, Chapman, Occidental, Cal Poly Pomona, and more...
- Great public school system
- Diverse job markets throughout Temecula Valley, San Diego, Orange County, L.A., and Inland Empire
- Diversity- not Temecula's strongest point. Mainly white and Hispanic.
Yes, but Sacramento is an actual center of commerce, culture and politics. Temecula is not.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Its so funny when the people compare the Ie to sac. Theyre like "The two are inland and have people so they are the same"

Old 03-01-2011, 03:25 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
It's funny how people think of Portland has a "coastal" city, but not Sacramento, yet Sacramento is just as close to the ocean as Portland.

Same as how they think of Denver as this "mountain" town when most of it sits on flat lands, yet Sacramento has just as easy access to Alpine mountains as Denver but we are never thought of as a "mountain" town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Very true. I don't actually consider Denver a real mountain city because of that, especially since I live in a real mountain city right now. After living here for years, though, they aren't really that exciting.
I don't get how Portland being considered a coastal city relates to Denver being a mountain city.

Portland is 1hr+ to the ocean, the metro doesn't come close to the ocean.

Denver is 20 minutes from the mountains, 15 on a good day, and the metro runs right to the mountains. I know plenty of people who live in the mountains and work in Denver.

It would be a lot harder to find people who live on the Oregon coast and work in Portland.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM

358 posts, read 1,056,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Portland is only an hour and a half from the coast - easy for a day trip, and the Oregon coast is stunning. I was under the impression that both San Fran and Seattle are actually quite far from nice, user-friendly pacific beaches themselves. Is that true?
Yeah, it takes about 2-3 hours to get to the coast from Seattle. However, there is the Puget Sound, which is a great substitute for the coast.

Personally, I prefer Oregon's beaches to Washington's. Oregon is warmer and less windy. Cannon Beach is amazing in the summer.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:03 PM

55 posts, read 104,805 times
I can see this is an old thead from 2011 but I will comment just in case it helps anyone. I was raised in Los Angeles, and then moved to Orange County. I lived in WA for 6 months and have visited portland. I dont recommend LA for family life due to high crime, smog, traffic. There is nothing I like about it except sporting events maybe. Orange county is the best for family if you can afford it- very expensive. You get what you pay for. I would never live in Portland. The amount of homeless was overwhelming. More than I have seen even in LA. I would not raise a family there personally. WA (I lived in Olympia) had quite a bit of homeless but nothing close to the issue it is in portland. WA was very pretty. It has its cheap and its expensive areas. But personally too cold in winter for my taste. Im currently living in Temecula. I would say that this is a good place to raise a family. I like the city overall. Its affordable compared to the more costal cities. You can get to the beach in about 45 min to an hour (depends on traffic). The downsides are bad traffic (and I mean awful) if you have to drive anywhere that requires you to take the 91 freeway, especially during rushhour. Lack of jobs. Compared to OC jobs here are a joke. In OC I usually find work very quickly. In Temecula its been interview after interview with no call backs. I dont suggest moving here unless you luck out on finding a job (where you dont have to take the 91 freeway). If you can do that, you should love it here. There is a city lake and also a duck pond. Very family vibe. Its also very hot so make sure you get a place with central air and expect your electric bill to be high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City