Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Canada 173 40.80%
California 217 51.18%
Undecided 15 3.54%
Neither 19 4.48%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times

Advertisements

enough with the bull$h!t, California is superior: economically, culturally, technologically, scenically, structurally, entertainmentally, weatherly, diversely, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I can understand the comparison based on the size of their populations and the economies, but THAT'S where it stops. There's no need for Canadian's to have an inferior complex just because California is internationally envied. Canada can go ahead and brag about its universal healthcare system, functionally sound political system, and cleanliness... That's all boring to me AND it just means HIGHER taxes. It's not homerism, it's popular global opinion.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
I prefer the PNW, You get a Canadian/pacific coast vibe with an emerging tech economy and all the benefits of an american city.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:35 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's fine. If that's what someone needs to tell themselves about my life to get them through those cold, lonely Albertan nights, that's fine. It really doesn't effect me in any way, shape, or form... it's just lame because it kills any discourse here that'd be interesting.

"Life is good here in California."
"Oh it is, eh? Well, it's better here in Canada."
"Mmmm well, my life is pretty good here in California..."
"No it's not. You don't know what you're missing out on. Do you have a ferry that goes from Victoria to Vancouver?"
"No, but -"
"California doesn't have Banff. Banff is in Alberta."
"Uh, Yosemite -"
"Banff is in Alberta."
"I know, but, we have -"
"You don't understand stuff because your schools suck. You guys have problems."
"We have top universities, and it's all immaterial to me anyways since I'm not from here originally..."
"I said you don't understand stuff. Did you know they make Chevy's in Brampton? Brampton is in Canada."
"What does that have to do with anything?"
"You didn't know that because your education system sucks."
"... uh, I did know that, but... why is this conversation even happening?"
"You Californians think you live the good life, eh? But you're so busy looking for celebrities and getting mugged by gangbangers, you don't realize anything about anywhere."
"Sure, chief."
"And your women are fat. It's a good thing you don't have any moose down there, they wouldn't be able to run away. Moosebites are nasty. You don't know what pain is in California because you've never been bitten by a moose."
"This has just gotten surreal."
"Oh sure, take your transcendental nonsense and change the subject. You don't have a ferry from Van to Vic, you don't have a Chevy factory in Brampton, you don't have moose, but you have fat women. Haha, keep your fat women, California! I'm off to shovel snow using moose antlers."
"Have fun."
"In Canada! We're North of you!"
"I know."
"Fat people in California don't get educations or take the ferry, haha."

That's more or less how this thread has gone, and where it's heading.
LOL +2

Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
Just had to repond to this BS from a New Zealander who admits never having been to Canada
Maybe you should visit and then respond to this thread.

You listed some points where Canada has no answer to, not so sure about that...

-Year round warmth and blue skies, you're right, mainly only SoCal, but you're right.

-Canada doesn't have beaches?, maybe you shud google PEI.

-Hollywood?, over the last 20+ years a lot of those "hollywood" movies are actually shot in Canada,LOL
Ever heard the term "Hollywood North"...that's Canada.

-Deserts? ...who cares anyway... Canada does have small desert areas in the BC interior
between Spences Bridge east to Kamloops. Also semi desert areas of SE Alberta-SW Saskatchewan.

-Giant Redwood?, Canada does not have but coastal BC does have huge areas of temperate rainforest with old growth Douglas Fir, many over 200 ft tall. Google Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, heck even Stanley Park in Vancouver has some amazingly massive trees.

-Finest wineries in the world?, IMO still is France.
Canada has some pretty nice wineries in Niagara Region, BC's Okanagan Valley too.
Canada produces the best Ice Wine in the World

-Technology? Ever heard of Blackberry ...from Waterloo, Ontario.
Canada also built the "space arm" for NASA's Space Shuttles.

Forest Fires? Are you kidding me Every summer there are major forest fires in Canada,
it's not only California that has to deal with forest fires.

You also mentioned you have high standards of quality of living and work-life balance,
well IMO both New Zealand and Canada beat California, but hey that's just my opinion
The Age of Blackberry has long since been usurped by the Age of Apple my friend Just sayin'...

Old 05-18-2013, 04:03 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
In so many of these comparisons, one always has something but more often multiple things that the other lacks and vice versa.. That is why it is hard to say across the board why one is better than the other because it assumes it is better in all things.. and that is rarely possible. In most cases it almost always comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Vancouver is okay but it's not as vibrant and doesnt feel as cosmpolitan as San Francisco.

I think Toronto might be more similar to SF in that regard, but then Toronto does not really have SFs natural beauty to compliment the vibrancy.

Its like SF has what Vancouver and Toronto each lack.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:38 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
If Cali could get their tax **** straight I'd consider moving there in a heartbeat.
Did someone call me?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:58 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihos501 View Post
18Montclair ur over doing it a little now with California, half of the thing you say is fake. Also you leave the bad face of California in the back and you bring Canada's bad face out, Now what me and couple others are going to do is bring the bad face of Calif out, and since I was growing up I always hated Calif. Over
How? 18MontClaire said nothing but facts...sorry but facts dont lie.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,472 times
Canada all the way. Money isn't everything, and trust me, this comes from someone who's been all around the world (not only some states and provinces) and by far, California's got much more crime. Though I agree that the government in each province and state of North America is ****ed up, Canada has far less crime and far more freedom than any state. I would choose Canada to be better than every "united" state, including New York, Cali, Texas, even Alaska (though, note that the last place I'd want to settle in, among developed countries, is a Canadian territory like Nunavut). The best place to live in the world, in my opinion, is a city near a major Canadian city.

How I would choose:
--North America--
1. Canadian Provinces except Saskatchewan
2. USA: Oregon
3. Central American Countries (Bahamas, Barbados, etc)
4. USA: California, New York, Texas, New England
5. USA: All of the remaining states
6. Canada: Saskatchewan
7. Mexico
8. Canadian Territories (Nunavut, Yukon, etc)

(Economy: Canada has the best economy in North America)

(GDP: The US has the highest GDP and it basically rules the world. Most people everywhere in the world know the US's major cities and states, whereas hardly anybody outside North America know about Canada's major cities and provinces.)

(Peace: Canada, dubbed "the friendliest country in the world". That's untrue though, according to the average Canadian. But Canada's got much less crime than the rest of the US.)

Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,213 times
What an abysmal thread. I have to take a shower after reading all these posts.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
Economically LA is on a different plant then Toronto. Toronto's GDP is way closer to Seattle then LA or even San Francisco. Hard to compare the 2. Canada is a cool place though. Which ever you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City