Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm not too pumped about sitting inside all day and watching it rain 6 months of the year either. Minneapolis for me.
No one's ever died of a little rain (unless you count flooding or being a bit more prone to catch the flu, which btw sounds a bit like an Old Wive's tale) by itself, whereas if you got locked out of your home in Minnesota in the dead of winter, that'll be the last time you make THAT mistake! I'd prefer a climate where it's not fatal to be outdoors during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No one's ever died of a little rain (unless you count flooding or being a bit more prone to catch the flu, which btw sounds a bit like an Old Wive's tale) by itself, whereas if you got locked out of your home in Minnesota in the dead of winter, that'll be the last time you make THAT mistake! I'd prefer a climate where it's not fatal to be outdoors during the winter.
Great insight and depth of knowledge you provided, it happens all the time up there, they stack the bodies up like firewood at the curb and the meat wagon picks them up on their morning rounds.

But you left out the biggest trouble with the rain in Seattle is it often refers to the oppressively depressed jumpers flinging themselves off the bridges onto the unsuspecting pedestrians down below.

In Seattle, a suicide barrier for a deadly bridge - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-12-2011, 07:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm not too pumped about sitting inside all day and watching it rain 6 months of the year either. Minneapolis for me.
Lolz when it rains its just a short while but it is overcast most of the time in the winter. Durring the sunny days it starts out overcast then clears up. I prefer a city that I wont be froze out of. I do enjoy Seattles beauty and recreation activities. The city is nice also .

Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
I would have to lean toward Seattle, though I have great respect for Minneapolis - I think that metro is probably one of our closest peers. I like the West Coast vibe, and loathe the cold. I'd take overcast and 50 in winter any day over sunny and frigid. I love our easy drive to Portland or Vancouver, access to the Pacific Ocean and the San Juan Islands, the Cascades, Olympic forest and mountains, etc.... not to mention I think Seattle truly is one of the most dynamic cities in the country I feel - strong economy and wages. I think we do lose to MLPS as far as real estate costs go. I always correlated those costs with desirability though.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Sounds like either city would be good for you. But if you hate the "trust fund kids" moving into the Portland area, you'd hate the people in Seattle. A lot of artsy folks have been priced out of the city because housing costs are astronomical because the area has gotten more affluent. For cost, I'd pick Minneapolis. Seattle can be an expensive city to be working poor in.

That said, getting an FHA loan for a home is easy for many people (average home income was something like $75k a year, so so long as you make less than $77k, you can get a special loan)... but that requires you to be able to have a steady income ...

Minneapolis is sounding more attractive actually.

Have you thought of Chicago? It would be a nice change of pace.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Great insight and depth of knowledge you provided, it happens all the time up there, they stack the bodies up like firewood at the curb and the meat wagon picks them up on their morning rounds.

But you left out the biggest trouble with the rain in Seattle is it often refers to the oppressively depressed jumpers flinging themselves off the bridges onto the unsuspecting pedestrians down below.

In Seattle, a suicide barrier for a deadly bridge - Los Angeles Times
It was debunked long ago that Seattle or the northwest have higher suicide rates than other areas. The suicide barrier is being put up simply so people who are intending to commit suicide are not able to do so on that particular bridge. Every city in any part of the country has certain places where people wanting to end their lives do it. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska- and there were a couple of parking garages there in the downtown area that had become well known for suicide jumpers. So are we supposed to then conclude that Nebraska's hot steamy summers or bitter cold winters are causing people to fling themselves off of tall parking garages??
And the winter rain here is no more depressing than the dirty, gray, brown landscape that is accompanied by snow and bitter cold weather back there in the midwest.

I have lived in Seattle for a little over a year, lived 12 years in Nebraska and the rest of my life in South Dakota, near the border just 3 hours or so from Minneapolis. Winter in that area is much, much, much worse than here in Seattle. 45 degrees with light rain is not unbearable- people still go out hiking, sight seeing, you can still have greenery in your yard, certain flowers still blooming. The outdoors are still alive. In the Minnesota area the outdoors are dead- everything goes dormant- dead and dirty looking- and with the snow and bitter cold outdoor activities are not really possible, unless you are a very hardy soul. I remember all too well spending winters locked up indoors watching the depressing scene outdoors while it was well below freezing (or even below zero) just waiting for Spring to arrive so we could do more than walk from the car to the house outside. It's so amazing living here in Seattle being able to be outdoors any time of the year. The rain we do get in the winter is usually light, and if it bothers people a simple umbrella solves the problem.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
It was debunked long ago that Seattle or the northwest have higher suicide rates than other areas. The suicide barrier is being put up simply so people who are intending to commit suicide are not able to do so on that particular bridge. Every city in any part of the country has certain places where people wanting to end their lives do it. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska- and there were a couple of parking garages there in the downtown area that had become well known for suicide jumpers. So are we supposed to then conclude that Nebraska's hot steamy summers or bitter cold winters are causing people to fling themselves off of tall parking garages??
And the winter rain here is no more depressing than the dirty, gray, brown landscape that is accompanied by snow and bitter cold weather back there in the midwest.

I have lived in Seattle for a little over a year, lived 12 years in Nebraska and the rest of my life in South Dakota, near the border just 3 hours or so from Minneapolis. Winter in that area is much, much, much worse than here in Seattle. 45 degrees with light rain is not unbearable- people still go out hiking, sight seeing, you can still have greenery in your yard, certain flowers still blooming. The outdoors are still alive. In the Minnesota area the outdoors are dead- everything goes dormant- dead and dirty looking- and with the snow and bitter cold outdoor activities are not really possible, unless you are a very hardy soul. I remember all too well spending winters locked up indoors watching the depressing scene outdoors while it was well below freezing (or even below zero) just waiting for Spring to arrive so we could do more than walk from the car to the house outside. It's so amazing living here in Seattle being able to be outdoors any time of the year. The rain we do get in the winter is usually light, and if it bothers people a simple umbrella solves the problem.
I'd be miserable too if I had lived in Nebraska and South Dakota. Living 3 - 4 hours outside of Minneapolis makes a big difference. I couldn't do it.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:50 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,803 times
Traveled to both cities a fair bit. I prefer Minneapolis. I can't really put my finger on why - both cities are similar in many ways. I just seem to enjoy myself more in Minneapolis (and its one of the few metro areas I'd consider leaving the Bay Area for).

Old 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post

Despite the dryness winters in the Upper Midwest aren't exactly full of sunshine either (like that matters much when it's -20 or something anyway) although the worst part for gloom + cold is probably the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which combines the cold of Minnesota with the gloom of Washington State.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Lolz when it rains its just a short while but it is overcast most of the time in the winter. Durring the sunny days it starts out overcast then clears up. I prefer a city that I wont be froze out of. I do enjoy Seattles beauty and recreation activities. The city is nice also .
You DO REALIZE that remark was made AFTER a fellow Seattlite said the same thing about MN and the cold, right? It was sarcasm, because it's a stupid thing to say. You're much more likely to die of pneumonia from being outside drenched in the rain than being in the dry cold air.....I promise. It's a moot point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City