Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better
District of Columbia 81 80.20%
San Jose 20 19.80%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
dc was ranked the most educated, literate city in this country in 2010.
Washington region ranks as the best-educated in the country
That's great. So it's got a high level of people with PHDs, and a high level of people with no high school diploma?

D.C has one of the most expensive yet lowest performing school systems in the United States.

Just means there are a lot of over educated bureaucrats to make the statistics look good. I'd be interested to see what the mode is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
lol you just said dc has less educated, less affluent, and less civilized people?? all because of a crime rate? lmao.

well i feel sad for you because now your going to have to be dealt with all the dc folks who will put stats about their affluent, and education in your face lol.

btw i didnt mention mexico. i mentioned jaurez which has a murder rate of over 200 per cap, and has more people in its city then dc.
I never said it was because of the crime rate. I said the two correlated.

Point remains, D.C is equivalent to a third world country, not a 1st world country when it comes to crime.

I might add that per capita income in D.C is about 55k, it's 70k in San Jose. Not bad since we don't get all those over paid and under worked federal employees to pad our numbers.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
I never said it was because of the crime rate. I said the two correlated.

Point remains, D.C is equivalent to a third world country, not a 1st world country when it comes to crime.

I might add that per capita income in D.C is about 55k, it's 70k in San Jose. Not bad since we don't get all those over paid and under worked federal employees to pad our numbers.
its retarded to compare a country to a city thats probably the size of a dot when comparing to a country.

now lets play this game right. What is Mexico's crime rate as a whole compared to the u.s?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,304 times
Quote:
That's great. So it's got a high level of people with PHDs, and a high level of people with no high school diploma?

D.C has one of the most expensive yet lowest performing school systems in the United States.

Just means there are a lot of over educated bureaucrats to make the statistics look good. I'd be interested to see what the mode is.
high school doesn't finish you, you finish high school. it isn't dc's fault they screwed their hs career up. they choose to drop out, not the school.

the dc area has some of the best, if not the best, school districts in this country. i find it funny that someone from california, a state with a what.... 46th place education system, is dogging dc education systems.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
its retarded to compare a country to a city thats probably the size of a dot when comparing to a country.

now lets play this game right. What is Mexico's crime rate as a whole compared to the u.s?
Their homicide rate is about 3 times the U.S average. But I will humor you. Mexico City has a homicide rate of 9.5 per 100,000, D.C a homicide rate of 23 per 100,000.

Why is it retarded? It was doing a favor to Washington D.C... Face it, it's an incredibly violent city, there's no arguing that simple fact.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
high school doesn't finish you, you finish high school. it isn't dc's fault they screwed their hs career up. they choose to drop out, not the school.

the dc area has some of the best, if not the best, school districts in this country. i find it funny that someone from california, a state with a what.... 46th place education system, is dogging dc education systems.
We aren't talking about states, we're talking about San Jose and D.C.

You keep having to bring up things other than D.C in order to defend it, doesn't make your argument look too good.

Sure, people choose to drop out - in D.C, people also choose to kill each other with alarming frequency. Sorry, but the most important factor when judging a city is its people. Soooooo... Between lobbyists, and murderers, you guys ain't looking so peachy.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Their homicide rate is about 3 times the U.S average. But I will humor you. Mexico City has a homicide rate of 9.5 per 100,000, D.C a homicide rate of 23 per 100,000.

Why is it retarded? It was doing a favor to Washington D.C... Face it, it's an incredibly violent city, there's no arguing that simple fact.

ok Mexico city is pretty much a first world type city so now your just contradicting yourself.

dc is not a crime ridden city. you need to actually go out more.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
We aren't talking about states, we're talking about San Jose and D.C.

You keep having to bring up things other than D.C in order to defend it, doesn't make your argument look too good.

Sure, people choose to drop out - in D.C, people also choose to kill each other with alarming frequency. Sorry, but the most important factor when judging a city is its people. Soooooo... Between lobbyists, and murderers, you guys ain't looking so peachy.
people? not people thugs and people who choose that lifestyle.

if you work and go to school each day and live a normal life you will be ok in dc.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
ok Mexico city is pretty much a first world type city so now your just contradicting yourself.

dc is not a crime ridden city. you need to actually go out more.
your is a possessive, you're is a contraction of you are.

DC is a crime ridden city by any civilized standard. Indeed, Mexico City is also a crime ridden city by any civilized standard - just not as crime ridden.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
people? not people thugs and people who choose that lifestyle.

if you work and go to school each day and live a normal life you will be ok in dc.
Not as OK as if you lived in San Jose, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City