Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Urban College
Columbia University - New York, NY 9 12.16%
Georgetown University - Washington, D.C. 7 9.46%
DePaul University - Chicago, IL 6 8.11%
University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh, PA 6 8.11%
University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA 10 13.51%
UCLA - Los Angeles, CA 6 8.11%
University of Washington - Seattle, WA 4 5.41%
Northeastern University - Boston, MA 6 8.11%
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN 5 6.76%
University of Texas - Austin, TX 4 5.41%
Georgia Tech - Atlanta, GA 8 10.81%
Rice University - Houston, TX 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

What about Temple, USC, Wayne State, Howard, Tulane, St. Louis U., Washington Univ. in St. Louis, Univ. of San Francisco, Marquette, Univ. of Minnesota and Johns Hopkins, among others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Temple, USC, Wayne State, Howard, Tulane, St. Louis U., Washington Univ. in St. Louis, Univ. of San Francisco, Marquette, Univ. of Minnesota and Johns Hopkins, among others?
USC isn't in a particularly good area...

USF has a beautiful campus.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Penn

The University of Pennsylvania, looking east from High Rise East | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebigdurian/7867978/ - broken link)

University of Pennsylvania | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabiendjabar/4444570105/ - broken link)

DSCN8276-2008 PENN Alumni Weekend | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebujak/2550126502/in/photostream/ - broken link)

But I would have chosen NYU if the choice were there

Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus:

Minneapolis Skyline from U of M, 2005 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rock_chalk_jhawk_ku/2257887951/ - broken link)

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~marte105/Graphics/skyline.jpg

Last edited by emcee squared; 02-21-2011 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How about Loyola/Northwestern DT campuses? they are right on Michigan Ave area.
That's only a portion of their campus that's in downtown. I was trying to pick one school from the one city that I could think off the top of my head that has IMO the best location. In terms of schools in Chicago proper, both of DePaul's locations win. This is the way I see it:

DePaul: You couldn't make an undergrad happier here. You are right next to Lakeview/Wrigleyville, just on the other side of the river from Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square, and in the HEART of Lincoln Park. There are bars a plenty, you are very close to the beach, close to downtown, have three different El lines that slice right through campus, you have so many restaurants, bars, stores and surrounded by beautiful older architecture.
DePaul's Loop Campus is also in a great area as your in an area where there are 4 different colleges within 2-4 blocks. Also, did I say you are in downtown?!

University of Chicago: Hands down the most beautiful campus in the city, in the state and one of the most beautiful in the country. Location wise it's very nice however it doesn't offer the variety of things to do that both of DePaul's campuses do. It lacks excitement and being connected to other neighborhoods.

Loyola: The Lake Shore campus is so-so. The area isn't bad, but again when you compare where DePaul is in Lincoln Park, DePaul has it much much better. For Loyola's downtown campus it is super nice, great location, close to the beach, shopping, nightlife. You will never get bored. However, Loyola's lake shore campus brings it a little bit down from being the best location. Also doesn't Loyola have a suburban location too?

IIT: Hands down the WORST location. Although the area is getting better it's not the ideal location to go to school. It's pretty isolated and dangerous. I always feel bad for IIT, it's such a good school yet you never hear anything about this school.

Northwestern: Since this thread is based only city proper, half of NU's campus gets disqualified. Same for NU's downtown campus as Loyola's. However, IMO I think NU has the best overall campus and locations in the state.

UIC: Ten years from now, it might be a good contender against DePaul's location(s). The area has continued to grow and get more exciting. Offers a neighborhood experience with walking distance to downtown, can't beat that.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 AM

910 posts, read 1,676,310 times
UC: Nice campus, but the surrounding area still kinda sucks and has fair amount of crime going on.

OSU- Better than UC imo, more fun things within walking distance and feels safer

Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
UC Berkeley is also a good example of an urban campus, although the city of Berkeley doesn't feel very "urban." All entrances to campus are actually city streets. Downtown on the west, Telegraph on the south end. There aren't very distinct boundaries between campus and town. Most of the campus housing is actually in "town," mixed in with the commercial or residential districts. It doesn't feel bucolic like many college campuses since there isn't a clear distinction.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
UC Berkeley is also a good example of an urban campus, although the city of Berkeley doesn't feel very "urban." All entrances to campus are actually city streets. Downtown on the west, Telegraph on the south end. There aren't very distinct boundaries between campus and town. Most of the campus housing is actually in "town," mixed in with the commercial or residential districts. It doesn't feel bucolic like many college campuses since there isn't a clear distinction.
Syracuse University is similar in set up/location.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
UC: Nice campus, but the surrounding area still kinda sucks and has fair amount of crime going on.

OSU- Better than UC imo, more fun things within walking distance and feels safer
OSU is SAFER than UC?! I did not feel all that safe at OSU at times.....too close to some rougher neighborhoods and the city does very little to separate the crime from the campus neighborhood. There were "ghetto birds" strolling nightly around my apartment building near 12th and Indianola and my building was hit by several bullets during gunplay at a complex party. I was also jumped once (which looked like was just for fun). Plenty more stories like that in my 4 years there....

Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
1. Cooper Union / NYU (Manhattan)
2. Pratt (Brooklyn)
3. RISD / Brown (Providence)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City