Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 AM

71 posts, read 184,944 times

Advertisements

How would your state be without its largest city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
- Illinois would be devastated like no tomorrow without Chicago.

- Texas would go from 100% to 66% without Houston, still a viable and large state but lost a lot of its drive.

- Virginia would be okay without Richmond or Virginia Beach I guess, it mainly depends off of Washington DC either way which is not a city in the state of Virginia.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-23-2011 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
I can't imagine New York or New Jersey without NYC.That would be a disaster lol

Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I can't imagine New York or New Jersey without NYC.That would be a disaster lol
Haha contrary to belief, New York (state) would be at the same power and size as the state of North Carolina, with extremely similar topography too.

Check this thread out: North Carolina VS Redefined New York State

New York (State) without New York City, Long Island, & Surrounding counties apart of the New York City Metropolitan Area would be the 13th most populated state in the United States with the 9th largest economy by Economic Output (GDP) and would still have some medium sized cities that pull their weight. Not a disaster at all, haha.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I think the vast majority of PA would be prety similar, Philly has always been the odd ball in the state.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 AM

133 posts, read 385,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Pullah View Post
Maryland would be Mississippi without Baltimore and D.C.
While DC is de facto part of Maryland it's still separate district,the largest city in Maryland is Baltimore,so to answer to this thread:without Baltimore Maryland is still gonna be ok.Or if you want to remove DC,Maryland will still have better economy than MS,but the thread is asking about one,the largest city,not several ones.
States that qualify would be:
Utah:Salt Lake City
Massachusetts:Boston
Georgia:Atlanta
Indiana:Indianapolis

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
About 400k people smaller.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Virginia would be ok without Va Beach. There are plenty of 1970s-era strip malls elsewhere in the state to make up for the loss, but there aren't many other places to enjoy the ocean.

I think New Jersey could survive without Newark too. I like Newark, but I know many people would consider this an improvement.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
While DC is de facto part of Maryland it's still separate district,the largest city in Maryland is Baltimore,so to answer to this thread:without Baltimore Maryland is still gonna be ok.Or if you want to remove DC,Maryland will still have better economy than MS,but the thread is asking about one,the largest city,not several ones.
States that qualify would be:
Utah:Salt Lake City
Massachusetts:Boston
Georgia:Atlanta
Indiana:Indianapolis
Are you sure Maryland would be OK? I don't know about becoming Mississippi but Maryland without Baltimore would definitely be like South Carolina. Without Baltimore, the next largest cities in Maryland would just be suburbs of DC (like Rockville). I can't think of any state in which the largest city is just a suburb of another. Even New Jersey has Newark (while part of the same metropolitan area it is definitely not a suburb of NYC).

So for Maryland, in order for this discussion to make any sense you have to discount unincorporated places like Columbia and Silver Spring or formerly small towns like Bowie and Rockville because they didn't become viable cities on their own, they are just suburbs. When all of the suburban creep of megalopolis is removed, then Frederick more or less becomes the largest city in Maryland (and even some of eastern Frederick County, like Urbana, is DC suburbia). So Maryland without metro DC and Baltimore would just be a run-of-the-mill Southern state. And a small one at that. So with that being said, Mississippi without Jackson and suburban Memphis still has Gulfport, Biloxi, and Hattiesburg. That is more urbane than Maryland without Baltimore and the DC suburbs.

BTW, Richmond is not the largest city in Virginia on any basis. You would have to get rid of the DC Suburbs of Northern Virginia as well as Virginia Beach and Norfolk (and its surrounding metro) for Richmond to be first.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

133 posts, read 385,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Pullah View Post
Shut the f**k up slim you ain't no damn mod you no puzzy getting motherf**ker. I can put in any type of input I feel like. Whether Maryland or Virginia want to admit it or not both states would be severely impacted if D.C. was blown away.

and I can give two sh1ts about an infraction or being banned....
LOL talk about emotional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City