Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The 5th largest city come the 2010 Census results will be?
Philadelphia 70 56.45%
Phoenix 54 43.55%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevett View Post
Show us real philadelphia.. everyone paying attention go to google maps and start looking around at street view.. those nice areas are 10 percent of philadelphia.
If it's in Philadelphia's city limits, then it's "real Philadelphia," you dumb ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
Quote:
You can't go out to clubs in scottsdale without seeing celebrities one in every 4 times you go out. They're everywhere. And its not because they have to be. Its not like they're working in NY or LA.. its because they love it. These people can afford to have homes and visit wherever they want and you would be blown away at how many famous people you'll see there just driving down the street or out at vip sections of scottsdale clubs. I have many memories of seeing or talking to them. A lot of funny ones. Lived here just as long.. nothing like it aside from seeing a basketball team at delilahs.. again here on business. Big difference.
Anyone who cares about how many celebrities live in their city or state loses all credibility for me. Um...who cares?
You probably sit on your room reading up on the latest celebrity gossip, where they brought their latest house, etc ...please. Philly is a real city. Get with the program.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I work in sales and meet people every day who ask where I'm from.. I tell them the West. Portland Oregon and Scottsdale, AZ and over 90% of the time (like clock work) they say "what in the world are you doing here?" No joke. People dream of leaving to FL or AZ or West and Philly has probably some of the least travelled natives I've ever met anywhere. Very blue collar and out of touch.. They hate NYC, Washington, Baltimore and NJ.. It's a bubble of jealousy.
<-- click here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiplinger
Think of Philadelphia as the cheaper alternative to New York or D.C. Thousands of singles see it that way already: Since 2000, the number of college-educated young adults living in downtown Philly has jumped by 57%. Young people have long flocked to the area for college, as more than a dozen universities lie within city lines. But increasingly, trendy neighborhoods and high incomes at companies such as Comcast and Sunoco are pulling singles in to stay. Now, one in two Philadelphians is unmarried, one in five is between 20 and 34, and one in three holds at least a bachelor's degree. Young people congregate in Northern Liberties, Fishtown and Fairmount, where rent for a two-bedroom apartment averages about $1,000.

So who's really out of touch here?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 AM

34 posts, read 31,530 times
How did you come up with this theory? Philly already played host to over two million residents. Land area is practically irrelevant and when people move to Philly often they are moving into a multi-unit, multi-floor condo delvelopment. Why people think Phoenix will regain its appeal after the collapse of the housing market - really the only reason the place grew so much to begin with - is beyond me. Philly has much more to offer and it's obvious that the city is growing present-day. Almost every lot in the city has some sort of condo development being built on it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think it is doubtful Philly will regain the spot, probably doubtful ever, Phoenix is nearly 5 times the land area, so right now it has about 20% the density but yes in those huge borders it does have more people.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM

34 posts, read 31,530 times
lol

Quote:
Most of the city is poverty stricken and unlivable.. the worst murder rate of any city in the country over one million people. Everyone I know who grew up here knows better and now lives in NJ or bucks county if they can't afford a small section of downtown which is way over priced considering what surrounds you. Horrible school system.. Absolutely terrible.. Philly is a great place to visit. Cool history, tons to see but the every day quality of life is pretty depressing. I'd rather come home after a stressful day of work and hit the pool and have a resort lifestyle. Living in Scottsdale was like being on permanent vacation. Sure you work, but you come home and it's all about fun in the Sun.. People that live there for a long time take that for granted like anywhere I guess.

I've lived both places for 4 years. Much happier people in Phoenix and it draws a much younger crowd. Hence having the largest University in the country now in ASU. I have many things to say about both places.. Negative and positive but Phoenix wins. (Scottsdale is where you actually go out if you're into nightlife and action. Not downtown Phoenix.) It wins in just about every way unless you want a day of walking around a downtown which in reality if you live in Philly you may do 6 times a year unless you live right downtown. And there really isn't enough to keep you interested if you do live downtown. Were not talking about NYC here.

Philly lives and dies with their sports teams which is fun... A close proximity to NY and DC are nice.. But again, things you don't do enough to make it a place to live as you really won't do it much.

4 years ago as I was getting ready to move to the Philly area and advocating all of the positives.. Density.. Culture..

If you're honest with yourself and think about what you ACTUALLY do every day then for 90% of you who aren't fighting for some cause to save the city would enjoy your every day life in Scottsdale.

I work in sales and meet people every day who ask where I'm from.. I tell them the West. Portland Oregon and Scottsdale, AZ and over 90% of the time (like clock work) they say "what in the world are you doing here?" No joke. People dream of leaving to FL or AZ or West and Philly has probably some of the least travelled natives I've ever met anywhere. Very blue collar and out of touch.. They hate NYC, Washington, Baltimore and NJ.. It's a bubble of jealousy.

But I've made great friends here too. I'll stop because I could go on forever.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Show us real philadelphia.. those nice areas are 10 percent of philadelphia.
Another factual error on your part. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
And to the sports guy.. where did mcnabb live? Az.. and morristown.. and I saw the phillies ws documentary with victorino and all the guys sharing condos downtown and not having a single thing in the fridge because they were never there.. and where did iverson live? The main line.. Where did the two biggest stars in philly live over the last decade? Most live in jersey, I know that for a fact.. I can't tell you NO ONE has a place in Philly. But I can see why most don't
I dont believe any of your facts at this point. I have no confidence in anything you say.

Barkley spends the summers in the Philadelphia area and is in and out of town regularly. I dont blame him for rather spending the winters in Arz instead of Philadelphia.Phils Pitcher Cole Hamels is from San Diego and is worth about $150 M dollars but he lives in the Philadelphia area permanently.

I already stated most of the Sixers live on the Main Line because that is where the practice facility is.

The Phillies players are scattered. Some live in the city, some prefer the Pa burbs others South Jersey. Im sure thats the case for athletes in nearly every city.

Larry Brown who is from So Cal and is worth about $200 M still lives in Philadelphia. Dick Vermeil is from Napa Valley, has coached all around the USA and he has made his home here in Philadelphia. The Flyers,Phillies Eagles,Sixers alumni I would guess is above average on former players settling in the area.

Last edited by rainrock; 04-17-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
And to the guy trying to say I got slashed on here with his pictures of old white money neighborhoods.. that's about all that's left. Neat areas.. when I said 5 miles outside of center city.. have a nice walk.. lol
You made a statement that everything 5 blocks outside of Center City was poverty stricken and crime ridden. I then showed you pictures of fabulous neighborhoods IN THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA far away from Center City.

Just admit you were wrong and move on. You sound pathetic at this point.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I dont believe any of your facts at this point. I have no confidence in anything you say.

Barkley spends the summers in the Philadelphia area and is in and out of town regularly. I dont blame him for rather spending the winters in Arz instead of Philadelphia.Phils Pitcher Cole Hamels is from San Diego and is worth about $150 M dollars but he lives in the Philadelphia area permanently.

I already stated most of the Sixers live on the Main Line because that is where the practice facility is.

The Phillies players are scattered. Some live in the city, some prefer the Pa burbs others South Jersey. Im sure thats the case for athletes in nearly every city.

Larry Brown who is from So Cal and is worth about $200 M still lives in Philadelphia. Dick Vermeil is from Napa Valley, has coached all around the USA and he has made his home here in Philadelphia. The Flyers,Phillies Eagles,Sixers alumni I would guess is above average on former players settling in the area.
Doesn't Dikembe Mutombo live somewhere on the Main Line?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM

61 posts, read 119,899 times
You are all fools I'm sorry.. ask anyone outside of Philly what they think of it. Its the most toxic city in the u.s.. highest murder rate.. how come everyone I know here agrees with me? How come everyone I know asks me what the hell I want to live here for after coming from where I've come from? I'm ebarassed to tell people I live in Philadelphia. Do you guys not read newspapers? Watch the news? See what people think of philadelphia? Your a bunch of dillusional folks sticking up for a place when you have no frame of reference from living anywhere else. Only those folks don't understand. I've lived in 6 major cities and yours is by far the worst. I never in a million years would move here if my wifes family wasn't here. NYC and Jersey actually. You guys have no frame of reference. Most of you haven't been west of ohio and have no idea what the rest of the country is.

You're the least travelled group of people I've ever met in my life. Its hard to have a conversation with people who have lived here their whole lives. You don't get it.. go to seattle for a week and come back and you will "oh my god this is an ugly city" travelling will be a real wake up call as to what outsiders see when they see your city. That's all I have to say. Take it for what's worth. I've lived here 5 years so if you think that's not good enough to judge a place then I definitely can't listen to any of your "been through there" and take them seriously. Peace! Enjoy philly! I'm glad most of you like it because you will never get out and its probably better for the rest of us lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City