Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So you think culturally, DC is more similar to the rest of virginia than to other NE cities???
No I think culturally, DC is more similar to mid Atlantic cities like Norfolk, Richmond, Baltimore, and Philly than NE cities. I have a hard time thinking of Virginia as being southern since the metro regions(Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NOVA/DC) of Virginia where most of the population lives is very different from the rural parts. It was even a point of contention during the last election when the GOP said the western part of the state is the "real" Virginia. When you go to other cities that are in the south like Houston or Nashville, you definitely know that you're in the south even though you're in an urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I have a hard time thinking of Virginia as being southern since the metro regions(Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NOVA/DC) of Virginia where most of the population lives is very different from the rural parts.
How is this different from other states? There are both urban and rural versions of Southernness.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How is this different from other states? There are both urban and rural versions of Southernness.
I answered that in my last post: they don't feel like southern cities.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
No I think culturally, DC is more similar to mid Atlantic cities like Norfolk, Richmond, Baltimore, and Philly than NE cities. I have a hard time thinking of Virginia as being southern since the metro regions(Hampton Roads, Richmond, and NOVA/DC) of Virginia where most of the population lives is very different from the rural parts. It was even a point of contention during the last election when the GOP said the western part of the state is the "real" Virginia. When you go to other cities that are in the south like Houston or Nashville, you definitely know that you're in the south even though you're in an urban area.

Not much of an issue with that. That was the main point... I mean does DC have more in common with Philly and Baltimore and even NYC or with the closest other southern major cities like... Charlotte or Atlanta. I have no problem with the midatlantic delineation ...it's just not culturally southern even as one state down in NC like Charlotte, Raleigh...etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So you think culturally, DC is more similar to the rest of virginia than to other NE cities??? I mean, DC is below the Mason Dixon... but as the capital it is not technically in a southern NOR northern state. At this point though, you guys think DC is more culturally southern than northern???
D.C. is a southern city. No self respecting northerner would argue otherwise. Even culturally D.C. is NOTHING like Boston or NYC. Nothing like them from the accents, to the culture, even to their sports allegiance, or their casual conversations (icebreakers).

It's only chance of matching a northeastern culture is Philly but no self respecting Philadelphian will claim the similarities, because there are far and few from the beginning. D.C.'s culture is more in line with Raleigh, Richmond, even parts of Greater Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I answered that in my last post: they don't feel like southern cities.
I disagree, but okay. I couldn't put Richmond and Norfolk anywhere else BUT the South.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
DC is neither northern or southern. It is by itself in the mid-Atlantic. One of the most unique cities in the whole nation.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I've never heard anyone in Norfolk or Richmond speak in a southern accent and I've been in both places my entire life basically. They only time I hear it is when I'm out in the country or speaking to someone from out in the country.
I have. Keep in mind that Southern accents are not the same everywhere you go. Houston people do not sound like Atlantans. Memphians do not like sound like Miamians. Charlotteans do not sound like New Orleanians.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Beg to differ with that last pairing. You don't hear hints of Gullah or even full-out Gullah among Black residents of Norfolk.
Well yeah. But still, Norfolk blacks still have a Southern accent.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Could you explain this? How is that Hampton Roads and Richmond so much different compared to Houston (especially) and Nashville? How is that the latter two retain their Southern qualities as you say and not Richmond and Hampton Roads. You are the very first Virginian on this board that has argued that Virginia isn't a Southern state. What makes Virginia, a state historically very Southern, so much different than the other border state of Texas, which is also historically very Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City