Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times

Advertisements

I'd agree that for Minneapolis Edina and Brooklyn Park are right up there, for the two reasons suggested by west226; I'd also agree with the Lakeville suggestion, but not because of money. I've heard people use it along the lines of "might as well be in Lakeville," by which they generally mean boring, stereotypical suburban, devoid of any culture and land of subdivisions and big box stores, the epitome of modern exurbia at its worst. (I'm not commenting on whether or not that's what Lakeville is like or not, but it definitely seems to be modern suburb of choice to bash, at least among the people I know. Reality is sort of besides the point in these cases.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
most of the hated burbs are ussually the "Rich" ones and the ghetto ones.

For example People in the Chicago(suburbs) forum love talking about Harvey and the entire south burbs in general even though alot of them are regular suburban towns that just happen to have alot of black people. Maywood also get s alot of crap

Then you got places like Naperville and Schaumburg that also get crap for, I guess, being lily-white bred towns, cookie-cutter, and everyone is considered a rich snob, even though most of the peeple are regular middle class or upper middle class.

Most of the suburbs that are highly looked upon are the ones close to the city that have low crime rates like Oak Park, Evanston, Skokie, ect.

mas23

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I grew up in the suburbs(Willow Grove, PA) and whenever I tell this to uneducated impoverished city residents, I get looks of disdain, snide comments, and all around hate. .
I can't imagine anyone from the city being resentful of Willow Grove, unless they are from the worst parts of North Philly.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I can't imagine anyone from the city being resentful of Willow Grove, unless they are from the worst parts of North Philly.
Who do you think works most of our service sector jobs at the mall and what not? The 55 andd 22 bus them back and forth from the sub at Broad and Olney all day everyday. Old York rd, is the major low wage job corridor for North Philly, because there's not that many jobs in the hood.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,524 times
I don't want to offend my frends on the other side of the Hudson river

Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Arlington, Tx. Not a fan at all.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Hayward and Union City for the east bay and San Bruno for the peninsula. Those cities never catch a break.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Yinzers hate suburbs like Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, Murrysville, Fox Chapel, McCandless, Franklin Park and Cranberry because they're rich. They also hate suburbs like Penn Hills, Monroeville, North Versailles, West Mifflin and McKees Rocks, and Monongahela River towns like McKeesport, Duquesne and Clairton because they're not "white" enough. Give 'em real suburbs like Baldwin, Munhall, Crafton and Etna!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,934 times
Wilmington, DE: Elsmere -little town known for pulling people over to generate revenue

Philadelphia, PA: Upper Darby/Darby - poorest suburbs Philly has

I personally resent the Main Line.. those people have attitudes like no other.

Also, Pennsauken seems to be picked on as well. Not sure why ( borders Camden?)

Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I hear a lot of flack about Schaumburg more than just about any other suburb, including the "ghetto" ones on the South and West sides like Harvey or Maywood.
I personally have to say that I hate neighboring Hoffman Estates more than I hate Schaumburg. Although both are suburban sprawl hell, at least Schaumburg has a large cluster of retail (centered around Woodfield Mall) and an IKEA and an intersection (Schaumburg and Roselle Roads) that is (was?) something of a town center, such as it is. Hoffman Estates is just a shapeless suburban blob with no discernible downtown.

Besides, I think the name "Hoffman Estates" is just tacky. Sounds more like the name of a subdivision than an actual town.

Someone else mentioned Naperville, but at least that suburb has a quaint, walkable downtown, even if the stores and restaurants are mostly chains. Oh, and a pretty nice river walk, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City