Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better to you?
DT Minneapolis 27 57.45%
DT Denver 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times

Advertisements

Hello. I would like to get some opinions on the two Downtown areas I love very much! DT Denver & DT Minneapolis. Later in life i would like to move to a nice condo or loft in one of these areas.
Which has.....
Better Restraunts:
Better Condos:
Better parks:
Things to do:
Attractions:
Better Art center:
Anything you can think of:
This will really help me make a decision. Can we try not to make this thread all about the Skyline? And Please Comment on anything you know about these to areas!! Thanks for any help i get!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Which has.....

Better Restraunts: Tied
Better Condos: Denver (I'm guessing, since they had many more condos during the "boom")
Better parks: Minneapolis (there are the parks along the river and Loring and Gold Medal Park, but when I think of this I think of the "Chain of Lakes" system that is so close to the city)
Things to do: Minneapolis (There isn't much you can't do here, although Denver may be more consolidated because Minneapolis has to compete with St. Paul. The Chain of Lakes, the Guthrie and the nighlife all stand out to me. I can see the argument for Denver though).
Attractions: Denver (probably....Denver doesn't have to split amenities between two cities like Minneapolis does with St. Paul, which has the Science Museum, Wild arena, Grand Central Station, among others).
Better Art center: Minneapolis (Minneapolis Institute of Arts and the Walker Arts Center are among the more prestigious in the country).
Anything you can think of: Urban fabric and density would also go to Minneapolis, which is just a tad more dense and walkable (when the weather is right). Weather is better in Denver, obviously. I like the culture here more than Denver, which I know -- culture is overrated -- but I never noticed it UNTIL I went somewhere that didn't have much, and I hated it! Denver has slightly better public transportation, mostly rail, but I think Minneapolis has a better bus system.

Overall, I PERSONALLY like Minneapolis more than Denver, primarily because it has the Chain of Lakes, a pretty sweet nightlife, beautiful parks, and great downtown neighborhoods. I think Denver is more modern, has nicer/newer condos, better weather, and possibly more amenities in the downtown vacinity than Minneapolis. Both are pretty good for their respective size, and both have work to do before becoming 24 hour, international destinations (if ever).

Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 AM

34 posts, read 94,459 times
Denver is ok and Minneapolis is opening more and newer restraunts because of the new Target Field and Im guessing that its better for art too.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times
Denver and Minneapolis have two of the best downtown areas in the country. I think Minneapolis has a slight advantage.

Better Restraunts: Tie
Better Condos: I'm not sure.
Better parks: Minneapolis
Things to do: Tie
Attractions: Tie
Better Art center: Minneapolis

Other:
Transit options: Tie
Shopping options: Minneapolis
Density: Minneapolis
Architecture: Minneapolis

Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
^two of the best.....relative to their size. There are a LOT of great cities in this country!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^two of the best.....relative to their size. There are a LOT of great cities in this country!!
There are not a lot of great downtown areas though. MPLS. and Denver have what I would consider above average downtowns. Even though they hover around average, they're still better than the vast majority of US downtown areas.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
I live in Minneapolis and work downtown, but I've been to downtown Denver about 5-6 times (early 2009 most recently).
On the whole, I think both downtowns are very comparable and both are B+ quality downtowns, definitely better than average, but not to the Seattle/Portland (Grade A-) or NYC/Boston/SF/Chicago (A quality) level.

I think downtown Denver is slightly larger, due to the impact of the State Capital complex and all the govt buildings. Minneapolis has more retail in downtown (w. Macy's, Target, Nieman's, Saks Off 5th) and I'll take the Nicollet Mall over 16th Street mall, but I also give Denver credit for the boutiques along Larimar Square/Writer Sq.

I like both the Warehouse District and LoDo, but give a slight nod to Lodo.
I prefer Denver's livelier streetscene, except during December through March, when I live in the Mpls Skyway system.

It's on the edge of downtown, that I think Minneapolis wins out.
1. I'll take the Mills District with the Mississippi River, Stone Arch Bridge, Guthrie Theater et al over the north end of 16th Street near the South Platte River.
2. I'll also take East Hennepin (Riverplace/Nyes/Lunds etc...) over the area south of the Civic center.
3. I don't know if Denver has anything like Loring Park--a large downtown park ringed with several historic buildings & churches.
4. I also like having the U of M close to downtown,with the west Bank/7 Corners neighborhood close to becoming an eastern extension of the Mills District.

Denver gets the nod for LRT system (they're probably 5-10 years ahead of Minneapolis).

Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM

252 posts, read 493,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Denver gets the nod for LRT system (they're probably 5-10 years ahead of Minneapolis).
Denver may have more lines, but the Hiawatha light rail line connects downtown Minneapolis to MSP International. I know Denver is building a line to its airport, but downtown Minneapolis has beat in that department.

Keep in mind that downtown Minneapolis will soon be connected to downtown St. Paul and the University of Minnesota via the Central Corridor light rail line. I have a feeling this line is going to have a very positive impact on both cities as well as the U of M. The U of M area is already experiencing a numerous housing projects within walking distance of the line. I'm curious as to what the line will bring to the Cedar - Riverside area.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
I wonder how different MPLS would be if ST PAUL wasn't the capital and wasn't next door. Probably a much larger DT with GVT buildings.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Thanks for the great awnsers! I agree with many of these statements!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City