Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 09:14 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, you did say it was especially destructive. That's what I was contesting.

Most rap is intended for adult audiences. Rappers can't help if it happens to end up in a child or teenager's hands.
It still does not change the fact that hip hop fosters a culture of violence, drugs, and degradation of women. Regardless of whether it is marketed towards adults it still has a huge influence on kids. No one in the real world is going to take a person with jeans down to their ankles seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
It still does not change the fact that hip hop fosters a culture of violence, drugs, and degradation of women. Regardless of whether it is marketed towards adults it still has a huge influence on kids. No one in the real world is going to take a person with jeans down to their ankles seriously.

a) this is completely off-topic
b) if this bothers you that much, start your own topic on the music board

Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
"Foster" means to create or bear. Neither hip-hop or rap creates these issues. In fact, the content of the genre is inspired by these issues; many of which have been in the black community since the 1970s, before rap was ever popular.

In the absence of a responsible parent that dictates what their child is exposed to, yes, rap can have a negative effect, but that's for any other influences, as well. Again, you cannot hold rappers responsible, and it's time people stop attacking the genre and to start placing the blame where it belongs COMPLETELY: on the parents. Blaming rap is such a cop-out.

All rappers do not sag, nor do all members of the "hip-hop community". It really doesn't help your argument to make such sweeping generalizations.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
"Foster" means to create or bear. Neither hip-hop or rap creates these issues. In fact, the content of the genre is inspired by these issues; many of which have been in the black community since the 1970s, before rap was ever popular.

In the absence of a responsible parent that dictates what their child is exposed to, yes, rap can have a negative effect, but that's for any other influences, as well. Again, you cannot hold rappers responsible, and it's time people stop attacking the genre and to start placing the blame where it belongs COMPLETELY: on the parents. Blaming rap is such a cop-out.

All rappers do not sag, nor do all members of the "hip-hop community". It really doesn't help your argument to make such sweeping generalizations.
Point noted. The problem with hip hop is what happened to it. Hip hop and rap started out as a response to the problems that existed in the African-American community. I will bring something from the Bible. The love of money is the root of all evil. That is what happened to hip-hop. It's slow decline had alot to do with the love of money. Offer an aspiring rapper a million dollar contract to act stupid, and that's what said rapper will do.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Point noted. The problem with hip hop is what happened to it. Hip hop and rap started out as a response to the problems that existed in the African-American community. I will bring something from the Bible. The love of money is the root of all evil. That is what happened to hip-hop. It's slow decline had alot to do with the love of money. Offer an aspiring rapper a million dollar contract to act stupid, and that's what said rapper will do.
Sounds like the music business entirely.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It looks like crap to me. Black kids are best raised in places where there are not a lot of other black kids.
That's hilarious, but I have to disagree... You make it sound like they're animals that will go wild when put with a herd...

I think it's best to be in a place that nurtures both environments (your own race's community environment as well as not your own race's community).

DC seems to be the best place for that in my opinion. In DC, it's very common to see black figures in high paying, high status positions and government & powerful positions. That can be a very positive thing for a black child to see. Being raised in a place with a very low black population COULD go tragically wrong, meaning they COULD end up surrounded by other race people that will look at the black people acting a fool in music videos and in TV shows and put that stereotype on that lone black child, who then can either be strong minded enough to overcome that, or try to fit the mold because it's how people already perceive them.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
That's hilarious, but I have to disagree... You make it sound like they're animals that will go wild when put with a herd...

I think it's best to be in a place that nurtures both environments (your own race's community environment as well as not your own race's community).

DC seems to be the best place for that in my opinion. In DC, it's very common to see black figures in high paying, high status positions and government & powerful positions. That can be a very positive thing for a black child to see. Being raised in a place with a very low black population COULD go tragically wrong, meaning they COULD end up surrounded by other race people that will look at the black people acting a fool in music videos and in TV shows and put that stereotype on that lone black child, who then can either be strong minded enough to overcome that, or try to fit the mold because it's how people already perceive them.
I've been a Black child raised in a place where there were very few Black people around(at least for the first few years of living there). I had some issues adjusting to the place. For some reason, there were three boys(all of them White) who played baseball, who didn't like me. Once they found out I was playing in their league, they all threatened to hit me with the baseball, as all of them pitched. I was surrounded by some nice people, as well as some very nasty people. Some people kept threatening to "hang me by their noose". I was also expected to live up to the stereotype. Once I tried to "act Black". After a short while I dumped the act and just decided to be me. Around high school there were more Black students. There were racial tensions in my high school. I was the Black kid who was considered "not Black enough" to some of the Black students, and a few White students. Some of the White students were just hateful to Blacks. I can relate to this in some way. On the other hand, it could be that I lived in the rural South.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
It's a common mistake to target rap as a cause for many of the issues plagueing young blacks. The fact of the matter is that these issues existed before rap and would remain if it was gone.
Exactly

Another thing to note, look at the broader culture like Hollywood Horrors films are base on killing and etc. In mist of all the sexual images in the media someone can find the audacity to blame hiphop for something?

Quote:
That sound a heck like the general pop culture

But anyways Hip hop itself is not even base on a topic, a lot of stuff that goes on in hiphop is because that how a lot of the places many artists are rised in first place, hiphop didn't make 80s Compton, artists from Compton start telling stories, satire or facts about there neighborhoods, the issues in neighborhoods like Compton are the problem. This isn't a chicken or egg dilemma, If everyone stop listening to Hip hop in inner cities and switch to country and dance music, country and dance music would become violent as hell.

Also these images are selling to a much large audience then just black or inner city kids. This is one of the reason why Christian hiphop or general positive images in hiphop are not as popular. The more hiphop became mainstream is actually the more it became violent and etc. like wise Rakim, LL cool J, RunDMC, fresh prince didn't rap about violence.

So skihikeclimb would you actually go out and buy a Christian hiphop albums and encourage people who you know to buy it as well? ) Again hiphop culture is a free expression art form, it's self is more victim of the industry.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 PM

I found this video and I think it would be important to view it.
Acting white 0001 - YouTube

Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
ATL
NY
DC
Chicago
Detroit
Houston
Dallas
Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City