Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix vs. Cleveland?
Phoenix 23 37.10%
Cleveland 39 62.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 AM

261 posts, read 588,899 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be a interesting comparison, between Cleveland which is where I'm at and Phoenix, one of the popular growth cities people flock to. Comparisons on culture, character, food, skylines, natural surroundings, anything goes. Any thoughts?

Last edited by RioDominicana; 03-22-2011 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
- culture: Subjective
- character: Subjective again
- food: Cleveland
- skylines: Cleveland
- natural surroundings: Phoenix

Any thoughts? I pick Cleveland, its about the right size to enjoy and its location is great. Not too far from Chicago, not too far from Appalachia, not too far from the big Northeast cities. Really close to Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, & Columbus too. All those against only San Diego, Tucson, Los Angeles, & Las Vegas make a more compelling case in variety.

However though San Diego & Tucson are 2 of my top 4 cities.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 AM

261 posts, read 588,899 times
I think natural surroundings could also be subjective too with Cleveland, if you take in its coastline and the parks and trees around the city and its proximity to a national river valley. Phoenix has some stunning mountains though right there in the city.

San Diego is my favorite vacation spot lol

Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
I think natural surroundings could also be subjective too with Cleveland
Absolutely. Cleveland has water.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:33 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Who wouldn't like to flee to the Cleve and club up at the Flats and have lunch with Little Richard?

Cleveland for sure

Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 AM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
- culture: Subjective
- character: Subjective again
- food: Cleveland
- skylines: Cleveland
- natural surroundings: Phoenix

Any thoughts? I pick Cleveland, its about the right size to enjoy and its location is great. Not too far from Chicago, not too far from Appalachia, not too far from the big Northeast cities. Really close to Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Louisville, & Columbus too. All those against only San Diego, Tucson, Los Angeles, & Las Vegas make a more compelling case in variety.

However though San Diego & Tucson are 2 of my top 4 cities.
I understand that you pick Cleveland, but it sounds like you're picking it because it's location is not too far from other cities that you can escape to. What do you actually like about Cleveland?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
If you were to swap Phoenix's climate with Clevelands, Phoenix would not appeal to me at all. For that reason Cleveland wins.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Absolutely. Cleveland has water.
lol!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:57 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Who wouldn't like to flee to the Cleve and club up at the Flats and have lunch with Little Richard?

Cleveland for sure
30 Rock - Cleveland - Video - NBC.com

nice pop culture quote!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
I actually like Cleveland. I've spent quite a bit of time there. My favorite parts are Terminal Tower, the architecture of some of the older buildings, the Christmas lights downtown (during the season). I like some of the restaurants there (Southside restaurant is a fave of mine). I like the lakeront access, although the city doesn't do quite enough with it all. The Indian community has really grown in the past few years.

What I don't like about it? Some of those beautiful buildings downtown sit empty. People there seem bored or do the same things over and over (this could happen in many places). The commuter train is pretty disgusting. I was surprised by the pretentiousness of many in the gay community and there were no gay clubs downtown last time I was there. People seem miserable there in the winter.

I pick Phoenix. Despite the fact that downtown Phoenix is not as built up or established as Cleveland, there are still things to do there. If can't find what you're lookinf for there, try midtown, or Tempe, or Scottsdale, Biltmore area, etc. I can take the heat better than the cold (even though I grew up in Chicago). There is much more to do here, although it may not all be located in one central area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City