Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..
Atlanta 73 51.41%
Denver 69 48.59%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I agree partially with you. I've always viewed college rankings with a grain of salt. However I did some research on Colorado School of Mines and on their official website they actually use their US News Public College ranking of 36th as a selling point of their school. (The same ranking placed Georgia Tech at 7th) (1)So they obviously place some importance on these rankings themselves. And if they take their position at 36th place serious it seems only fair to take Georgia Techs 7th place ranking equally serious.

(2)I also discovered in my study that Colorado School of Mines is actually a really selective school that has very rigorous academics. The exact same can be said for Georgia Tech (and most accredited engineering schools) What separates the two however, is that CSM is a much much smaller college. 4296 students and a $148 million endowment vs. 20,487 students and $1.438 billion endowment for Georgia Tech.

(3)Now I'm not saying bigger is necessarily better but given they both have high quality students it matters that because of it's size Georgia Tech is able to offer far more programs and conduct far more and larger more sophisticated research projects. And that all puts it on a higher level.
Also Georgia Tech is significantly more diverse which can be very important to a minority student enrolled there. Georgia Tech also has far more international contacts and projects going on around the world.

Does all of that mean a student at Tech is automatically going to do better? Ofcourse not! But one is likely to have more options. Also the prescence of a school like Tech in a city I think gives it more of an edge in a lot of ways. A really smart motivated student could go far with an engineering degree from Toledo, Ohio but does that mean that Toledo or Tuskegee, Alabama is on the same level as Denver when it comes to higher education?

Also, once again Emory is ranked higher than either school on the US News overall National Universities rankings (not just public schools like the rankings above)
1. As does Georgia Tech:

GT | About Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's top ten public universities in the United States.

2. So tell me, why are you seeming surprised about this? Were you expecting a glorified community college?

3. That's really debatable. Caltech is much smaller yet that CSM at 921 udergraduate students, but it's ranked higher than either school.

I don't know what your point is about Emory. Isn't it a private college?

DH has been working in engineering for 30 years. I asked him about Georgia Tech, and he said "you don't hear much about it". Perhaps GA Tech is a big player in the SE, but it's not so much nationally.

The question, lost in this debate, is education. The OP did not specify that s/he was talking specifically about college level education.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

The city of limits of Denver: 153 square miles.

The city of limits of Atlanta: 131 square miles.

Denver is 16% larger in land area than Atlanta.

Denver 2010 population: 600,518

Atlanta 2010 population*: 420,003

Denver is 42% larger in population than Atlanta (* allegedly. The city is challenging the results of the 2010 Census, if successful then the population of Atlanta would be 560,000 and thus Denver would only be 7% larger than Atlanta.)

I think your calculator is broken.
50 square miles of Denver's city limits are the airport, where virtually no people live. I don't know about Atlanta, but many cities don't count their airports in their size.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 PM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
Sorry..forgot to reply on CRITERIA:

Climate: Altanta - if you don't mind hot summers that is. Other than that it can snow in ealry/late summer in Denver

Public Transit: Atlanta

Downtown area: Atlanta - downtown Denver is a joke, but I guess so is downtown Atlanta, but downtown Atlanta blows away downtown Denver!
Suburbs: Draw
Scenery: Denver thanks to the Rockies!
Vibe: Atlanta! Unless you like the cow vibe..then Denver.
Culture: Atlanta. Denver is pure vanilla.
Food: Probably tie, with edge to Mexican in Denver, and southern food to Atlanta!
Diversity: Atlanta! Even though Atlanta isn't that diverse, but compared to Denver it's a no brainer.
Schools: No clue.

Bottom line Denver is alright, but it makes it a really sucky place to be since it's so isolated and it's boring as crap.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Sorry..forgot to reply on CRITERIA:

Climate: Altanta - if you don't mind hot summers that is. Other than that it can snow in ealry/late summer in Denver

Public Transit: Atlanta

Downtown area: Atlanta - downtown Denver is a joke, but I guess so is downtown Atlanta, but downtown Atlanta blows away downtown Denver!
Suburbs: Draw
Scenery: Denver thanks to the Rockies!
Vibe: Atlanta! Unless you like the cow vibe..then Denver.
Culture: Atlanta. Denver is pure vanilla.
Food: Probably tie, with edge to Mexican in Denver, and southern food to Atlanta!
Diversity: Atlanta! Even though Atlanta isn't that diverse, but compared to Denver it's a no brainer.
Schools: No clue.

Bottom line Denver is alright, but it makes it a really sucky place to be since it's so isolated and it's boring as crap.
It has never snowed in Denver in July or August.
Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics

Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It has never snowed in Denver in July or August.
Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics
Early summer = June, and late summer = September.

But yeah Denver is big time hickville! It would be depressing for me to live there.

I remember visiting Denver last year..some worker at a store asked me where I was visiting from..(my relative said I was visiting)..I said the East coast..the guy starts laughing and asks me what I'm doing in Denver...he says there is nothing to do here..I blew it off..but after a couple of days I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there..LOL!

However, I did love the mountains! I went to a mountain top..not sure what it was called..it was surrounded by mountains and in the was a lake..I felt like I could touch the clouds..it was pretty amazing.

Other than that...Denver is a boring brown lame city. I get depressed even thinking about the place...sorry that place sucks azz!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
50 square miles of Denver's city limits are the airport, where virtually no people live. I don't know about Atlanta, but many cities don't count their airports in their size.
Atlanta's airport is counted in it's land area. It too is also massive, but I'm not sure how big exactly.

Either way, Denver proper most certainly doesn't have anything over Atlanta proper in the population density of their city category. Particularly since they arrive at the same density in entirely different ways.

Just looking at it in a glance (I'm not particular well versed in Denver's environs) it appears that Denver gains it's density due to the way it is built with a grid street pattern that covers the whole city. Atlanta on the other doesn't have that, but does have a ton of extermely high density development in the core with a myriad of highrise condos, multi-story apartment buildings, rowhouses, and shotgun houses (which get's diluted by the less dense Northern and far western sections of the city).

Anyway, I don't really see how either city can go around thumping it's chest in the density category.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 PM

88 posts, read 198,890 times
To each their own I guess. I think you should be able to find something fun to do in each city...neither one is "boring or lame" Atlanta as far as Emory and Ga Tech really are much higher ranked than anything in Colorado I can think of. Although the recent robberies of the students at Ga Tech make for a less than desirable college experience. K-12 Denver is going to be on top though. Many families in Atlanta will only consider private schools for K-12...highly ranked as well but expensive. To east bay....what exactly is so exciting about Atl that you dont find in Denver? Its not the downtown area...Denver has Atlanta beat hands down in that regard.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
"Other than that...Denver is a boring brown lame city. I get depressed even thinking about the place...sorry that place sucks azz!"

You TRULY are a FOOL!!!!!! Denver is not brown for half of the Year. FACT. There is as much to do in Denver as any other city its size. FACT. In fact, due to our abundance of outdoor activities, there is MORE to do in Denver. FACT. Go troll in a diferent thread. It is your opinion on whether or not you like Denver. It is FALSE what you said about it.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:15 PM

I would be the last one to claim Denver is a high density city. I was just wondering about the airport issue. The Pittsburgh airport is in Moon Twp., PA.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
To each their own I guess. I think you should be able to find something fun to do in each city...neither one is "boring or lame" Atlanta as far as Emory and Ga Tech really are much higher ranked than anything in Colorado I can think of. Although the recent robberies of the students at Ga Tech make for a less than desirable college experience. K-12 Denver is going to be on top though. Many families in Atlanta will only consider private schools for K-12...highly ranked as well but expensive. To east bay....what exactly is so exciting about Atl that you dont find in Denver? Its not the downtown area...Denver has Atlanta beat hands down in that regard.
I guess knowing that if I lived in ATL I could do a day drive to the Atlantic beaches..Florida..etc..provides me some sense of freedom. Plus ATL metro is double the size of Denver metro in population. I guess the main issue I have with Denver is that it's so small and it's so isolated. I don't know..Denver is just so boring. And I don't believe the line about if a place is boring that it means that you're also boring. I mean Austin Tx is way smaller than Denver, but Austin seems so much more fun than brown depressing Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City