Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando vs Cleveland
Orlando 39 37.86%
Cleveland 64 62.14%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
We have gourmet trucks, ethnic trucks, farm 2 table trucks, and even soul food & dessert trucks. Does Cleveland have that, IDK,
Yep, we have gourmet and dessert trucks...more than a dozen. Including some featured on Food Network:

The Great Food Truck Race, hosted by Tyler Florence

Quote:
but rather that some options that you find in mass in Orlando such as Cuban and Puerto Rican, are harder to come by in Cleveland.
No Cubano. Cleveland has a surprising large Puerto Rican population for a northern city.

Quote:
Third theater, who cares.
Now you say "who cares?" Then why blindly say Orlando has a better one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
it's the truth
Uhh no it's not, Cedar Point isn't even in Cleveland for starters. Second, I think you're underestimating Orlando in quite a few departments. Tell me, when was the last time you dined in Orlando's best restaurants that you feel comfortable saying they are not on par with Cleveland's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Again, you're underestimating Cleveland's ethnic communities. There are still strong neighborhoods of Italian, Polish, Jewish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese/Cambodian, Puerto Rican, and African American just to name a few. Plus purely authentic Hungarian, Slovenian, Croatian, etc. If we're talking ethnic cuisine, Cleveland has the type of hole-in-the-wall places that have been open for 90+ years.

And of course...

Iron Chef Michael Symon: Michael Symon bio repeat : Chefs : Food Network
Chef Jonathon Sawyer (Food and Wine Magazine, James Beard Nominee) Michael Symon bio repeat : Chefs : Food Network
Chef Zach Bruell (James Beard) Zack Bruell
Chef Dante Boccuzzi DANTE BOCCUZZI

Some recent National TV coverage:
Man Vs Food Cleveland Cleveland - Man v. Food - Travel Channel
Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives Food Network star Guy Fieri raves about Cleveland's food scene: Restaurant Row | cleveland.com
No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain Cleveland - Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Travel Channel

Last but certainly not least, the Cleveland Westside Market, built in 1912: The West Side Market: Why Choose the West Side Market?. Voted best "Food Lovers Market in North America." and is hosting the "2012 International Public Market Conference."
And we have the type of ethnic cuisine that's been open for 3 years since the families have just arrived stateside. Doesn't get any more ethnic than thatk. Oh and Iron Chef, we have Kat Cora's restaurant here so it's like wow, Michael Symon is from Cleveland and has a restaurant there, that's cool. Don't forget Emeril's, Wolfgang Puck's, Todd English, to name a few more. It's funny that you mention Anthony Bourdain, he didn't want to go to Cleveland because of misconceptions, and you have the nerve to do the same to Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Wait ... what?

Seriously, you do a great job of touting your city. I'll still go with Cleveland but your enthusiasm for and knowledge of Orlando is definitely nice to see.
Yeah, hard to tell from the amount of errors in that post lol. I did a quick edit to clean it up, but it's hard when you're trying to bang out posts against 5 Cleveland is automatically better bots. Thanks for the compliment.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yep, we have gourmet and dessert trucks...more than a dozen. Including some featured on Food Network:

The Great Food Truck Race, hosted by Tyler Florence
Nice, even Chicago can't claim what Orlando and Cleveland can about food trucks. Both cities should be proud.

Quote:
No Cubano. Cleveland has a surprising large Puerto Rican population for a northern city.
I'd venture to guess we have a bigger PR pop, but hey it really doesn't matter. We have lots of other island cultures here that have hole in the wall restaurants that are amazing.

Quote:
Now you say "who cares?" Then why blindly say Orlando has a better one?
Never said Orlando has a better one, I said depending on preference. As in, maybe you don't PREFER theater. Therefore, that would not be a huge factor for you. If you can't get that, then I don't think this debate can safely go any further.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
It's funny that you mention Anthony Bourdain, he didn't want to go to Cleveland because of misconceptions, and you have the nerve to do the same to Orlando.
Oh really.... ready for this one? From Anthony Bourdain himself:

The Original (Goodbye Splendor) « Anthony Bourdain

A place so incongruously and uniquely…seductive that I often fantasize about making my home there. Though I’ve made television all over the world, often in faraway and “exotic” places, it’s the Cleveland episode that is my favorite–and one about which I am most proud.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Now OFU, I like Orlando...been there 3 times. I'm coming down again next month to visit my friend who works at Disney.

Do I think it's an up-and-coming city? Yes. Would I live there? No. And it's for my own personal reason. I live in a very old, and walkable neighborhood in Cleveland and I prefer the lifestyle here.

Cleveland and Orlando are completely different cities, and I still stick to my original list.

Quote:
Cleveland for food, architecture, museums, classical orchestra, theater, sports, music, urban neighborhoods, culture, skyline, history, public transportation, universities, medical

Orlando for entertainment, weather, warmth, roads, schools, population growth, theme parks, shopping
You've swayed me a little on the food options, but I still prefer the Cleveland places...again, that's (literary) personal tastes.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Quote:
Uhh no it's not, Cedar Point isn't even in Cleveland for starters. Second, I think you're underestimating Orlando in quite a few departments. Tell me, when was the last time you dined in Orlando's best restaurants that you feel comfortable saying they are not on par with Cleveland's?
Well, for starters, Disney isn't in Orlando. And also, I can't honestly say when the last time was, but Cleveland has gotten national attention because of the food that is there. Orlando has gotten none (that I know of). And when Orlando can get on that level, it will always be below Cleveland based on restaurants.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Oh really.... ready for this one? From Anthony Bourdain himself:

The Original (Goodbye Splendor) « Anthony Bourdain

A place so incongruously and uniquely…seductive that I often fantasize about making my home there. Though I’ve made television all over the world, often in faraway and “exotic” places, it’s the Cleveland episode that is my favorite–and one about which I am most proud.
I never suggested the Bourdain didn't end up loving Cleveland, perhaps he even liked it before hand, I have no idea really. My point was that in the Cleveland episode, they lightly address the idea that Cleveland is vastly underrated and that Bourdain's friend (who lives in Cleveland) basically convinced him to film a show there. This was all I could find on the web about the observation I made, but either way, I never said Bourdain didn't like Cleveland, I just thought they approached the fact that stereotypes lie. Being from a city like Cleveland, I thought you guys would understand that.
Quote:
He’s come to town, along with his three-man crew, at the goading of local author Michael Ruhlman, who challenged Bourdain to meet him on the mean streets of his hometown for a true taste of Cleveland. It’s really an excuse for the two food-world celebrities to engage in their habitual, highly public and always entertaining name-calling, insult-slinging face off.Lights, Camera, Eat! | Article Archives | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland
Quote:
Now OFU, I like Orlando...been there 3 times. I'm coming down again next month to visit my friend who works at Disney.

Do I think it's an up-and-coming city? Yes. Would I live there? No. And it's for my own personal reason. I live in a very old, and walkable neighborhood in Cleveland and I prefer the lifestyle here.

Cleveland and Orlando are completely different cities, and I still stick to my original list.

You've swayed me a little on the food options, but I still prefer the Cleveland places...again, that's (literary) personal tastes.
Right, well while you're at Disney check out Victoria & Albert's at the Grand Floridian. It's one of 2 Five Diamond restaurants in Florida, something Ohio has none of as of 2011. Also make sure to venture off the beaten path of chains and you might be surprised. I applaud Cleveland for the amount of established ethnic joints that are in operation, but Orlando has the celebrity chef and high end dining down for a metro of only 2 million.

One thing I do agree with you on is that they are completely different cities. I could never live in Cleveland, there is just so much I would miss. I wish the best for Cleveland, and enjoyed my time there, but it's in a different stage of life than the emerging Orlando.

Quote:
Well, for starters, Disney isn't in Orlando. And also, I can't honestly say when the last time was, but Cleveland has gotten national attention because of the food that is there. Orlando has gotten none (that I know of). And when Orlando can get on that level, it will always be below Cleveland based on restaurants.
Wow, Disney isn't in Orlando because it is 2 separate municipalities called Bay Lake & Lake Buena Vista, Florida. However, unlike Cedar Point which is in Sandusky, LBV and Bay Lake are directly adjacent to Orlando. As a matter of fact they are in the same county and metropolitan area. WDW even lists Orlando as one of its locations on gear like tote bags, ponchos, etc, so you can forget that one okay.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Quote:
Wow, Disney isn't in Orlando because it is 2 separate municipalities called Bay Lake & Lake Buena Vista, Florida. However, unlike Cedar Point which is in Sandusky, LBV and Bay Lake are directly adjacent to Orlando. As a matter of fact they are in the same county and metropolitan area. WDW even lists Orlando as one of its locations on gear like tote bags, ponchos, etc, so you can forget that one okay.
Uhh, Cedar Point uses Cleveland to market them. There were plenty of places in the park that said something like 'just a boat ride away from Cleveland.'

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Quote:
Uhh, Cedar Point uses Cleveland to market them. There were plenty of places in the park that said something like 'just a boat ride away from Cleveland.'

Old 07-26-2011, 04:13 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
Guys, let's crack open an Eliot Ness, get some... whatever they cook down in Florida, hopefully they have Cuban sandwiches because those are delicious... and admit that both cities are different. Orlando is a thriving metro, suburban, family friendly with sunny weather year round. Cleveland is a cosmopolitan gem of urban living geared towards the braver crowd who are into upscale lofts converted from auto-parts warehouses.

Both are leaders in cities of their size and style. Both have pluses and drawbacks. If you want great food but can deal with crime and snow and ice (my favorite!) then go to Cleveland. If you want a nice house with a yard in Apopka and to take your kids to Disneyworld on the weekends, go to Orlando. Both are fine. Orlando will never be for me as I hate kids, sunshine, yards, suburbanization, etc. etc., but I'll acknowledge that it's good for those that want a less urban lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City