Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:29 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times

Advertisements

Yeah it's a fad to the rather overwhelming suburban demographic of this forum whom own 2-3 cars and have never taken a bus once in their lives.

Who likes noise, traffic, congestion, pollution, parking garages/lots, etc in our cities anyways? That's why we're so anti-car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:43 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
There's the tourist factor built in to any discussion of cities other people don't actually live in--that is, experience life in--so complaints about transportation and centralization are natural. I get that. The only thing new-ish is regular, open discussion with people thousands of miles away.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
There's the tourist factor built in to any discussion of cities other people don't actually live in--that is, experience life in--so complaints about transportation and centralization are natural. I get that. The only thing new-ish is regular, open discussion with people thousands of miles away.
My point is topics like these are more often than not brought up by isolated suburbanites living anywhere from 1-3 hours from their respective city's core. Only they would have an issue with our hatrid/dislike towards the automobile because they basically need one for survival. Just look what cars did to our downtowns from the 50's-70's (hello urban renewal), and the answer should be clear as day.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
It's a fad that looks to have lasted a few thousand years at least.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:41 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
A texan trying to get chicagoans and l.a. ers to fight.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
My point is topics like these are more often than not brought up by isolated suburbanites living anywhere from 1-3 hours from their respective city's core. Only they would have an issue with our hatrid/dislike towards the automobile because they basically need one for survival. Just look what cars did to our downtowns from the 50's-70's (hello urban renewal), and the answer should be clear as day.
But how often do you believe these isolated suburbanites need to go to their respective city's core?

No social history is "clear as day," and that's the problem with much discussion on this topic. Human migration isn't something anyone's particular ideals can (or should) control. Shall we argue what centralized cities have historically "done" to small towns? There is no argument. It's pointless.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
A texan trying to get chicagoans and l.a. ers to fight.
I'm not a Texan at all. My username is a throwback to when I was considering moving there when I first joined the forum. I never bothered to change it.

I'm actually from the Chicago suburbs, have lived in some small towns for college, and personally find that the LA area blows me away in a way that Chicago doesn't. Even though apparently for many, who feel the opposite.

Thats not to say that I think the grass is greener on the other side, I like the specific area I live in (Oak Park) but find that the LA area is just amazing, and don't understand why it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I don't mind public transportation at all. I don't live 1-3 hours at all from my respective city core. I however do like exploring what an entire region has to offer. And that rarely is possible by public transportation alone.

And since the LA/Socal area has more things to do (from cultural attractions and neighborhoods to outdoor activities) I just don't understand why people write off a city as lame because they don't have a subway taking them everywhere. Or that Universal City is not right next to the Santa Monica pier.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
lol @ the thought of mass transit and the necessity of it being a fad.

that kind of mentality is exactly why america is so far behind damn near any and everybody when it comes to mass transit.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I don't mind public transportation at all. I don't live 1-3 hours at all from my respective city core. I however do like exploring what an entire region has to offer. And that rarely is possible by public transportation alone.

And since the LA/Socal area has more things to do (from cultural attractions and neighborhoods to outdoor activities) I just don't understand why people write off a city as lame because they don't have a subway taking them everywhere. Or that Universal City is not right next to the Santa Monica pier.
This is basically the premise of the thread. I think people are holding on a little too tight to when you used the word fad to describe centralized cities with good public transit. I think people need to let go of that little tidbit and understand what you were trying to say. And what you were trying to say is basically what I highlighted in red for everyone to see, and I agree with what you said. If a place is entertaining, it's entertaining regardless of it's walk ability and public transit options. Great public transit and walk-ability are just the bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City