Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
Agree 65 27.90%
Disagree 168 72.10%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I still don't understand the purpose of this. The OP makes it seems like he wants the most important cities, but the title makes it seem like they're looking for cities that define America. If that's the case; you got to throw in a southern city. Ny,chi,sf,la and DC don't represent the south and its culture.
Makes alot of sense, it should be a collection of the cities that best represent the region they are in. Ex: Atlanta, New York, LA, Chicago/Detroit, Denver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Ok, let's do this right then.

In fact, SF - SJ is roughly 26.5 miles at their closest borders.
Gmaps Pedometer

Here's a map of San Jose's city limits. Funny how the "San Francisco Bay" and "San Francisco National Wildlife Refuge" lie directly adjacent to the city of San Jose. Actually, now that I notice it, the biggest travesty maybe, the city of Fremont which is in the SF MSA shares borders with San Jose proper.

California @ AARoads - U.S. Highway 101 - Santa Clara County (Northbound)
So its basically identical to DC and Baltimore which are a CSA and not MSA - seems like it makes sense

Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So its basically identical to DC and Baltimore which are a CSA and not MSA - seems like it makes sense
It's my understanding that most consider DC/Baltimore as one metro as well. I prefer the CSA as a more complete picture to the MSA regardless.

I've asked this question before, but still haven't gotten any answers. So, maybe you can help. Does DC share the same local TV stations, news, and radio stations the same way as SF and SJ do? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's the cruise capital of the World. .
well, claim that or something,

That gateway to ... bs has no merit.

I can say McAllen is the gateway to Mexico but so what.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 PM

51 posts, read 78,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Cheap copout from someone losing an argument. I don't work for the census bureau which dictates metro area boundaries, nor do I determine that tourism (not technology) is San Francisco's chief industry.
Losing what argument?

1. 200 Startups & High-Tech companies are located in San Francisco. I posted links to that.

2. The people who actually work in the industry, not posters on city data, consider San Francisco apart of the Tech community. I posted links to that.

3. Silicon Valley is located in the SF Bay Area, which encompass San Francisco, Oakland & San Jose. There's no data across any credible source on the web which speaks of two metro areas. The United States Census Bureau considers the Bay Area a Combined Statistical Area (CSA) with approximately 7.4 million people. I posted links to that.

4. San Francisco had just as much to do with the growth of Silicon Valley as Stanford University, HP & Fred Terman. I posted links to that.

5. Many younger startups are now choosing to base operations out of San Francisco instead of SV proper. I posted links to that.

You haven't posted any hard evidence as to why San Francisco isn't connected to the Tech community. I don't understand your stance. You & Durf have just reiterated anecdotal evidence & opinion as if that's suppose to support your claim. Just admit you have no idea what you're talking about & leave it alone.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
of course SF has strong tech leanings...the other uni epicenter is UC Berkeley... you have companies like O'Reilly all the way up in Sebastopol. O'Reilly Media - Technology Books, Tech Conferences, IT Courses, News

Most companies located in the valley due to cheap land at the time for office complexes when SF was already fully developed and high price for office space. Of course a majority is located around SJ and SV...And SJ/SV are more tech oriented with less other developed industries such as finance/tourism/acct/marketing/law/medicine but to say SF doesn't have tech presence, and a high one at that, is absurd. They needed big factories for all that hardware production, think (intel/amd/fujitsu/hp/xerox/philips/liteon) etc. This was simply not available, and largely a lot of the software, and internet, came after SV was already well established in the hardware game.
Most of your announcements even from somebody like Apple are done in SF.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
It's my understanding that most consider DC/Baltimore as one metro as well. I prefer the CSA as a more complete picture to the MSA regardless.

I've asked this question before, but still haven't gotten any answers. So, maybe you can help. Does DC share the same local TV stations, news, and radio stations the same way as SF and SJ do? Thanks in advance.

Some yes some no; there is local news on networks run from both cities.

While there is a bit of comingling on identity both cities very much retain a seperate identity; it is much more pronounced in the stretch of MD in the middle where there is less specific ties to one area. On the NOVA side there is basically no direct connectivity to Baltimore outside of it being fairly close. In MD there is connection to both in some areas.

I would say overall the two are a little less comingled than are SF and SJ (at least on mindset though I have not lived in either for nearly 6 years now) yet their DTs are actually closer. Also to me Baltimore has a larger city identity than does SJ on the relative scale.

But honestly both are examples where county lines are inadaquet to differentiate census lines. Though quite honestly CSA is probably the appropriate designation as neither truly is one metro so to speak. I do think they should combine the UA of both areas

I am probaly the wrong person to ask because Philly probably is the most screwed on Census designations of any large metros - there are areas with more connectivity that arent even in the CSA let alone MSA. Mercer county is 12 miles from the Philadelphia border and currently part of the NYC CSA with lower commuter rates but was allowed as the folks in Mercer took the COL adjustment by aligning with NY

And a little more on your TV question; Philly TV stations cover an additional 2 million more people than what is counted in the CSA even including parts of the NYC MSA/CSA (An the footprint of the TV market is not large). In fact there are Philadelphia sports radio stations that broadcast from the NY CSA. Always found that odd actually. But at the end of the day it mostly really doesnt matter all the jobs and amentities are only miles away. These people get their news, follow the sports teams and align with Philly; yet the census tell them they are not.

Ok back to your regular broadcast.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,168 times
"The United States Census Bureau considers the Bay Area a Combined Statistical Area (CSA) with approximately 7.4 million people. I posted links to that." - siliconvalleyboss

Yes, but there are Metropolitan/ Micropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) that make up of an Combined Statistcal Areas (CSA).

San Francisco Bay Area CSA encompasses 6 MSAs:

San Francisco - Oakland - Fremont, CA MSA
San Jose - Sunnyvalle - Santa Clara, CA MSA
Santa Rosa - Petaluma, CA MSA
Vallejo - Fairfield, CA MSA
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA MSA
Napa, CA MSA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"No one but, a San Jose resident would say San Francisco wasn't the anchor city of the area." -siliconvalleyboss

Well, the San Francisco Bay Area is anchored by three major cities: San Francisco, Oakland, and San Jose.

"The people who actually work in the industry, not posters on city data, consider San Francisco apart of the Tech community." - siliconvalleyboss

Tourism is San Francisco largest economic industry.

San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau releases 2009 tourism figures | Only in San Francisco News (http://www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com/sfnews/?p=1356 - broken link)

However,....

"San Francisco the second-fastest growing city in high-tech employment, with 65 percent growth over a five-year period."

"The study shows that in tech employment within the Bay area, San Francisco, at 20th, was upstaged by Oakland, ranked 17th."

San Jose Ranked No. 1 High-Tech City - ABC News

By comparison:

Oakland has 82,134 high tech jobs.

San Francisco has 86,548 high-tech jobs.

Silicon Valley has 225,575 high-tech jobs.

U.S. Cities With the Most Tech Jobs: No. 19 City for Tech Jobs: Oakland - BusinessWeek

When choosing which anchor city to be representative of that particular region, it has to be San Francisco.

San Francisco is a major destination and a well-known central point.

It's all about the recognition of the city.

Yes, San Jose/Oakland may have as much culture as San Francisco, but it's not as recognized.

But this is all in general. I think there is a little ambiguity. There should be criteria when deciding which cities make America and or define America.

To those who are having this San Francisco/San Jose debate, neither of you are wrong. It's that ambiguous.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
I think Detroit belongs on this list. It has produced a ton of American culture and most American cities have some from of suburban flight and ghettoization that is associated with Detroit.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,782 times
Stephen1110, then NY is the anchor city of Philly metro area, and Washington is the anchor of Baltimore metro area. Remember, the census designated the Bay Area as San Jose Bay Area, but the NY media ignored it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City