Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Everything has been said, until we forget about this one and someone starts a new, similar thread.
But the next one has 110X more bickering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
But the next one has 110X more bickering.
Normally not much bickering in these types of threads. Check out my "New Orleans-New York of the south?" thread, that was more controversial.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I've enjoyed my time in New Orleans MUCH more than St. Louis or Memphis.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
I think New Orleans & Memphis are definitely more fun than St. Louis (when it comes to nightlife) but in terms of a place that I'd actually want to live, it's St. Louis, by far

Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times
^ 'more fun' is completely subjective so I'm not arguing against your opinion. Since you like St. Louis so much, I'd like to let you know that St. Louis has at last a dozen entertainment districts each with their own personality.

I'm not too familiar with the Metro East so ill mostly focus on the Missouri side

Lacledes Landing
Washington Avenue
Soulard
Midtown/Midtown Alley/SLU
Central West End
The Grove
South Grand
Clayton CBD
Downtown Kirkwood
Downtow Webster
Westport
Main Street St. Charles
Alton/Grafton

Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
^ 'more fun' is completely subjective so I'm not arguing against your opinion. Since you like St. Louis so much, I'd like to let you know that St. Louis has at last a dozen entertainment districts each with their own personality.

I'm not too familiar with the Metro East so ill mostly focus on the Missouri side

Lacledes Landing
Washington Avenue
Soulard
Midtown/Midtown Alley/SLU
Central West End
The Grove
South Grand
Clayton CBD
Downtown Kirkwood
Downtow Webster
Westport
Main Street St. Charles
Alton/Grafton
But the thing is, I've never seen a place in St. Louis that was as alive as Beale Street in Memphis and the surrounding areas in Downtown. You can go there almost any time of the day or night, any season, and lots of people will be out. I dont go downtown much, but my friends are there every weekend because its the place to be. It's a very happening place. I just haven't seen an areas in STL that compares. It very often looks like this:

I've heard that Washington Avenue can get pretty active, but to me it's different because the street isn't blocked off to cars like Beale Street is. Same with the Loop, and that's way more eclectic anyways

Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
the delmar loop is by far the most active district in st. louis. it may not be as crowded all the time as beale street, but it is undoubtedly a much more local scene and less annoying.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM

469 posts, read 969,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
But the thing is, I've never seen a place in St. Louis that was as alive as Beale Street in Memphis and the surrounding areas in Downtown. You can go there almost any time of the day or night, any season, and lots of people will be out. I dont go downtown much, but my friends are there every weekend because its the place to be. It's a very happening place. I just haven't seen an areas in STL that compares. It very often looks like this:

I've heard that Washington Avenue can get pretty active, but to me it's different because the street isn't blocked off to cars like Beale Street is. Same with the Loop, and that's way more eclectic anyways
Yes Beale can be quite active, and when the Music Festivals, Intl' Blues Challenge, Elvis Week activities, Touring premiers of Broadway Musicals based on Memphis Music, etc. kick off they stretch the activity area to include the South Main Dictrict, The Orpheum, the Riverfront, etc., so the size and relevance of music and entertainment participation would still tip the scales toward Memphis IMO.
As a logistical and transportation hub, Memphis also continues to strengthen its position. Business Facilities Magazine just named Memphis the #1 Logistics Hub in America again, saying it is "unsurpassed" in Air, Rail, Land, and Water. It also called the city the "Premier and only true existing aerotropolis". Pinnacle Air Lines, a $1 Billion company, operating 1,500 flights a day from 11 major domestic & intl' airports solidified its Memphis base by establishing exec. offices in a Downtown high rise. The Great American Steamboat Co. will be based in the same building, with their 400+ passenger overnight paddlewheeler docked it its home port just acouple of hundred yards away.
www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com

Old 08-12-2011, 02:55 PM

34 posts, read 56,423 times
I think a reason Beale is more active than neighborhoods in St Louis is because there are more options in St. Louis. You have the choice of at least 12 different entertainment districts. That's not a knock on Memphis by any means. I have always had a great time when I have been there.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
I often wondered what it would be like if New Orleans, St Louis and Memphis merged as one big city to form one metro. Imagine all the districts combined. Beal Street connecting to Bourbon St or Washington Avenue. You would have the French Quarter with the Gateway Arch in front of Jackson Square on the River creating the perfect skyline and street cars galore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City