Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Chicago 41 39.42%
Seattle 63 60.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times

Advertisements

According to City Data, Chicago's average high in July is about 84-85,which is only four or five degrees cooler than Nashville, and with similar humidity and sunshine. And that's what I hate most about Nashville! On the other hand, Seattle's average high in July is just 75-76, and with lower humidity and mild winters. So for me it's a very easy decision: I'll take the city that has summers least similar to my current location, and get milder winters as a bonus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
According to City Data, Chicago's average high in July is about 84-85,which is only four or five degrees cooler than Nashville, and with similar humidity and sunshine. And that's what I hate most about Nashville! On the other hand, Seattle's average high in July is just 75-76, and with lower humidity and mild winters. So for me it's a very easy decision: I'll take the city that has summers least similar to my current location, and get milder winters as a bonus
The summers in Seattle are glorious.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I like a solid 4 seasons...so Chicago for me.
Seattle has 4 solid seasons too.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
A summer should be hot especially after winter. Seattle gets lukewarm after a cool, damp, and dreary winter while Chicago gets hot after a cold, frozen, and snowy winter. As a warm weather fan I'd pick Seattle just to avoid the harsh winter, but then I'd loose the nice hot summer.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
A summer should be hot especially after winter. Seattle gets lukewarm after a cool, damp, and dreary winter while Chicago gets hot after a cold, frozen, and snowy winter. As a warm weather fan I'd pick Seattle just to avoid the harsh winter, but then I'd loose the nice hot summer.
For me, the word "nice" can't feasibly come before the phrase "hot summer". To be honest, I'd prefer even cooler summers than Seattle's average. But compared to most of the country, mid 70s in summer sounds incredible to me. My ideal weather is mid 40s to mid 50s and cloudy/misty/wet. Which sounds a lot like...Seattle's winters! So it's about as close to my ideal climate as I can get in this country. Chicago summers seem similar (but slightly cooler) to those of Middle TN, but with harsher, longer winters. While I love the city itself (and would love to return for another visit someday), the climate isn't enough of a positive change from my current location.

On a side note, we're supposed to hit a humid 86 here today in middle TN, and I plan to hibernate.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric433 View Post
You've clearly never been to Seattle and know nothing about it - Seattle and much of the Pacific Northwest have the best summers in the country:

"It hardly ever rains in June, July, or August, and the days are so sunny and clear you’ll wonder why they say it rains all the time here. You’ll find everybody outside kayaking, sailing Puget Sound, walking, running, and sitting in the afternoon sun. The summer temperatures are usually a pleasant 75, although there are occasional heat waves that bring it up to the high 80s or low 90s."
60s and 70s to me is what good days of spring should be, I would rather have summers around 85-90 consistently. Therefore for me, Seattle actually doesn't even get a summer, it gets a south florida winter, in the summer. SF to me is a bit too "cool" in the summer esp at night if you are near the coast, but close to perfect inland in Napa/East Bay/South Bay, so I am guessing Seattle to be even cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yeah that was my argument too... there is no "bad" weather per se, just kind of BLEH in Seattle... But to me winter in Chicago is quite horrible as to be somewhat unbearable many days to be outside longer than 10 minutes. It certainly begins to wear on you. Whether the lack of sunshine in Seattle's winter would be worse on my mood, I am not sure. If there is a break in the weather pattern with some pure sunny days as there is in Chicago with crystal blue skies, that might be different. But I am under the notion that Seattle is consistently overcast, with only breaks where it is still party cloudy. I think I would start counting the days from the last time I saw the sun out.
I base my weather arguments on Coastal California having the best in the country, and FL not being that far behind if you have no quarrels with humidity.

Last edited by grapico; 04-09-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,790 times
Humans come to make sacrifices in life, NYC's weather is terrible compared to LA but NYC is a better city weather notwithstanding. Chicago's a glorious city IMO better than Seattle despite weather would rather live in Chicago

Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 PM

292 posts, read 752,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
60s and 70s to me is what good days of spring should be, I would rather have summers around 85-90 consistently. Therefore for me, Seattle actually doesn't even get a summer, it gets a south florida winter, in the summer. SF to me is a bit too "cool" in the summer esp at night if you are near the coast, but close to perfect inland in Napa/East Bay/South Bay, so I am guessing Seattle to be even cooler.

Yeah that was my argument too... there is no "bad" weather per se, just kind of BLEH in Seattle... But to me winter in Chicago is quite horrible as to be somewhat unbearable many days to be outside longer than 10 minutes. It certainly begins to wear on you. Whether the lack of sunshine in Seattle's winter would be worse on my mood, I am not sure. If there is a break in the weather pattern with some pure sunny days as there is in Chicago with crystal blue skies, that might be different. But I am under the notion that Seattle is consistently overcast, with only breaks where it is still party cloudy. I think I would start counting the days from the last time I saw the sun out.
I base my weather arguments on Coastal California having the best in the country, and FL not being that far behind if you have no quarrels with humidity.
Seattle is much warmer than San Francisco during the summer:

Seattle Avg Temps:
June - 70
July -75
August -75
September -70

San Francisco Avg. Temps
June - 66
July - 66
August - 67
September - 70

Keep in mind these are only averages. There are plenty of summer days in Seattle when its between 80 and 90. Ive spent summers in many different cities, and I can tell you Seattle is up there with, if not the, best.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM

292 posts, read 752,633 times
I think year-round I'd prefer SF weather, but I was surprised at how much better summer was in Seattle than SF. It's almost always sunny and hovers around 75-80 most days. There are also better beaches and lakes in Seattle (sorry, Baker beach sucks) and they get packed (lots of beautiful women in bikinis). Here are some very un-Seattle like pictures:

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
For me, the word "nice" can't feasibly come before the phrase "hot summer". To be honest, I'd prefer even cooler summers than Seattle's average. But compared to most of the country, mid 70s in summer sounds incredible to me. My ideal weather is mid 40s to mid 50s and cloudy/misty/wet. Which sounds a lot like...Seattle's winters! So it's about as close to my ideal climate as I can get in this country. Chicago summers seem similar (but slightly cooler) to those of Middle TN, but with harsher, longer winters. While I love the city itself (and would love to return for another visit someday), the climate isn't enough of a positive change from my current location.

On a side note, we're supposed to hit a humid 86 here today in middle TN, and I plan to hibernate.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City