Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...........
Boston 1 1.10%
NYC 4 4.40%
Philly 3 3.30%
Baltimore 6 6.59%
DC 36 39.56%
Chicago 25 27.47%
Detroit 10 10.99%
LA 6 6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
All black people are from the south. Point blank! All black people have some southern culture and traditions. I stayed in Brooklyn half of my life and we ate grits, greens, chitlins, corn bread, etc... My grandfather and his crew played horse shoes in Gowanus. Things you do and eat don't make you southern. NYC started the whole gold teeth and dreds phenom way back in the 80's and 90's. Are they southern? I do agree that blacks in NYC, NJ, Boston and Philly to a lesser extent don't have any traces of southern dialect. Every other major city does to some degree. Keep in mind that New Yorkers think everybody and everything across the Hudson is country and sounds country. LOL. My brother calls his boys from Philly country because they say "dem bols" for "them boys". Go figure? BTW: Steve Harvey is from Cleveland and he sounds country as a sugar sandwich! LOL
hmph, it was said on another thread that NYC blacks don't eat soulfood

and NYC didn't start dreds and golds. Golds def come from the south and dreds def come from Caribbean people (jamaicans in particular)

Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
hmph, it was said on another thread that NYC blacks don't eat soulfood

and NYC didn't start dreds and golds. Golds def come from the south and dreds def come from Caribbean people (jamaicans in particular)

You wrong son! I was in NYC in the early 80's. Everybody had a gold tooth that they could pop in and out when they wanted to. Some people had permanent joints ala Slick Rick, Rakim, Kool G. Rap and Mary J. Blige. Of course dreds came from the islands but New Yorkers were the first ones to start rocking them in the states with mass appeal. Busta & Das EFX just to name a few. Cats in Bmore use to rock gold teeth back in the day too. This was way before the grillz and gold fronts you see these clowns down south rocking today. As for soul food, All black people love soul food. If a black person from NYC says New Yorkers don't like soul food, they are lying because Brooklyn has major soul food spots, Harlem has soul food spots and Queens has soul food spots. I don't fu*k with the Bronx!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,054 times
Quote:
You wrong son! I was in NYC in the early 80's. Everybody had a gold tooth that they could pop in and out when they wanted to. Some people had permanent joints ala Slick Rick and Mary J. Blige. Of course dreds came from the islands but New Yorkers were the first ones to start rocking them in the states with mass appeal. Busta & Das EFX just to name a few. Cats in Bmore use to rock gold teeth back in the day too. This was way before the grillz and gold fronts you see these clowns rocking today.

Gold teeth =/= grills.

I think gold teeth are really just a black folks thing, stemming from the days when people couldn't afford/visit dentists like that.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Gold teeth =/= grills.

I think gold teeth are really just a black folks thing, stemming from the days when people couldn't afford/visit dentists like that.
Yes^^^ in some instances but I vividly remember being with my older brother in DT Brooklyn on Smith Street and he went into a store to buy this gold front that he could clip on his side (molar) tooth. It was all for fashion. He paid like $90 for it. This was in the 80's. Everybody had them joints.

NYC STARTED GOLD TEETH!

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editor...y-of-the-grill

Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
personally i think that NY, Boston and NJ (and maybe a couple of other NE states) have the only (black) people that don't sound southern in some way.

and kanye's accent isn't subtle at all IMO. he definitely sounds southern.
I think You ment to say NY, Boston, NJ, Philly, Pittsburgh, B-more.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times
I wouldnt be so quick to say NYC started gold grills.

New Orleans documentary....talking about seeing their Grandfathers with golds.

YouTube - Straight From The Projects: 3rd Ward New Orleans Part 4

and read this

Black People : Gold Teeth, African Origin??? [Archive] - Black People Meet | African Americans | Destee

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
You wrong son! I was in NYC in the early 80's. Everybody had a gold tooth that they could pop in and out when they wanted to. Some people had permanent joints ala Slick Rick, Rakim, Kool G. Rap and Mary J. Blige. Of course dreds came from the islands but New Yorkers were the first ones to start rocking them in the states with mass appeal. Busta & Das EFX just to name a few. Cats in Bmore use to rock gold teeth back in the day too. This was way before the grillz and gold fronts you see these clowns down south rocking today. As for soul food, All black people love soul food. If a black person from NYC says New Yorkers don't like soul food, they are lying because Brooklyn has major soul food spots, Harlem has soul food spots and Queens has soul food spots. I don't fu*k with the Bronx!
uh no I'm not. Its old ass people from the south to the midwest who have had gold teeth before any of them and way before the 80s

Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
lol thats true.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:47 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The question is very valid.

From what I know, well paying, industrial factory jobs were a bit more of an attraction in midwestern cities versus northeastern cities, so Chicago, Detroit, etc. had more blacks moving during the second great migration (from world war II to the late 60s) so they are less removed from southern roots than say the greater New York area (where at the same time there was a large migration of Carribeans that moved to that area, and influenced each other.

Personally I love that aspect of the culture in the Chicago area where I live. I live in Oak Park a historic inner ring suburb that had a history of integration going back to the 70s. I have a great barbecue place, a chicken and waffles place within walking distance of where I live, where the people there have a bit of that southern hospitality that make you feel very welcome. And all the musical heritage too from blues to motown in the midwestern cities.
I've been thinking the same thing, too! When you think about it, black folks in New York, Philly and Boston would have more a more blended accent b/c of the fact they've been surrounded by a lot of immigrants for a longer period of time and there have been several generations of blacks living in the northeast, whereas blacks may be up to @ least 4 or 5 generations living in Chicago or Detroit, L.A. even, so that southern influence still haven't rubbed of b/c the migration to those places is still more recent!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
uh no I'm not. Its old ass people from the south to the midwest who have had gold teeth before any of them and way before the 80s
I'm not doubting that but if you look at my link, NYC made it hot back in the 80's. From Big Daddy Kane to Slick Rick, Gotham was rocking gold before all the other lame ass cities.

BTW: Some words Philly people say are suspect as well. Bols =Boys and Oooshin =Ocean but overall they got the northeast accent. DC and Bmore are a mix. DC people say brova =brother and farva =father which is NE all day long but then they say erk =eric or curry = carry. Bmore says yo every other word which is NE but they also say dug =dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City