U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which has the best Downtown?
San Jose 19 19.19%
Cincinnati 79 79.80%
Too close to call 1 1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,252,658 times
Reputation: 2188

Advertisements

I've been hearing a lot of praise for San Jose's Downtown as of late and I've also heard some trashing of Cincinnati's... to point where to some it would seem like a foregone conclusion that San Jose has the better downtown.

But as someone who has been to both I find that kind of shocking. But to be fair I don't have that much experience with either city. The last time i was in Cincinnati was the late nineties and while I was San Jose just recently I was very busy and didn't have much time to explore.

So I figured this would be a good one and would like to hear especially what people familiar with both cities think.

Judge the downtowns on the standard criteria:
Size
Population
Density
Skyline
Architecture
Nightlife
Restaurants
Shopping
Higher Education
Public Transportation
Walkability
Cleanliness
Safety
History
Museums
Parks
Concert Venues
Theater
Other Entertainment


Also feel free to consider anything else that you think is relevant.

Please though keep this restricted to just talking about each cities downtowns. So the fact that San Jose is close to San Fran or that you can go skiing close to Cincinnati or anything like that does not apply. This is simply a comparison of the downtowns.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
 
293 posts, read 618,693 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I've been hearing a lot of praise for San Jose's Downtown as of late and I've also heard some trashing of Cincinnati's... to point where to some it would seem like a foregone conclusion that San Jose has the better downtown.

But as someone who has been to both I find that kind of shocking. But to be fair I don't have that much experience with either city. The last time i was in Cincinnati was the late nineties and while I was San Jose just recently I was very busy and didn't have much time to explore.

So I figured this would be a good one and would like to hear especially what people familiar with both cities think.

Judge the downtowns on the standard criteria:
Size
Population
Density
Skyline
Architecture
Nightlife
Restaurants
Shopping
Higher Education
Public Transportation
Walkability
Cleanliness
Safety
History
Museums
Parks
Concert Venues
Theater
Other Entertainment


Also feel free to consider anything else that you think is relevant.

Please though keep this restricted to just talking about each cities downtowns. So the fact that San Jose is close to San Fran or that you can go skiing close to Cincinnati or anything like that does not apply. This is simply a comparison of the downtowns.
Let's be clear, for a city of its size, Downtown San Jose is not as big as it should. However, it is a much more walkable, vibrant, and interesting downtown than people give it credit for. There are a lot of bars and restaurants, the streets are narrow and pedestrian friendly, and transit is easily accessible. It's a nice streetscape.

Cincinatti is also underrated in that the downtown is actually very walkable, and has a lot of history and character.

I don't know - this is a close one. Overall, I may go with San Jose, but pound for pound, considering SJ is a much bigger city, it would probably be Cincinatti.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,252,658 times
Reputation: 2188
some pictures

Cincinnati Skyline:





Cincinnati City Hall


Cincinnati Museum Center



San Jose Skyline:



San Jose City Hall



San Jose Museum of Art


Couldn't find that many pictures of San Jose's downtown but I'm sure someone has some they could supply.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
 
293 posts, read 618,693 times
Reputation: 210
Downtown SJ is better viewed at street level. A lot of it looks like this:






Last edited by overunder12; 04-13-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista
2,472 posts, read 3,252,658 times
Reputation: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
Downtown SJ is better viewed at street level. A lot of it looks like this:


thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
 
1,094 posts, read 1,852,952 times
Reputation: 277
Philly2011, you see, San Jose creams Center City and Cincinnati together. Philly Center City is only just a little better than Cincy's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Philly2011, you see, San Jose creams Center City and Cincinnati together. Philly Center City is only just a little better than Cincy's.
Oh come on...you can't be serious.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
3,844 posts, read 7,803,992 times
Reputation: 1606
Cincy for sure for Skyline:

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 02:43 PM
 
384 posts, read 716,102 times
Reputation: 209
At street level I'd call it even. Cincinatti has a much better skyline though...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,844,605 times
Reputation: 2698
Oh man, Queen City Square looks AWESOME in Cincy's skyline!!!! Very fitting for a new tallest.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top