Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 AM

33 posts, read 56,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know. I think there are many people in the South who find it very easy to be racist. And as for the rebel flag, if I didn't see another rebel flag flying in view, I would be very happy. In fact, in my high school, Dixie Outfitter shirts were banned in 2001. I remember that day because I was happy about it.

And I would not know what it's like to be Black in Berkeley. I haven't heard anything bad about being Black in Berkeley.

Now, where I lived, in Paulding County, there were some serious issues with racism. I actually had some crazy things happen to me out there. In fact, I don't like going to certain places because of harrassment I have dealt with. When I was walking down the road to go to the store, some men in their trucks screamed the "n" word at me. And this happened more than once, from different people. One person pointed a BB gun at me while I was walking home. I can remember times in high school where some kids would makes threats to "lynch me" or "hang me by a noose". I have run into some very racist people in the South.
Yes, those inbreds are wrong. The racism is just a bit covert in Iowa, South Dakota, and Michigan though. No taunts, but nobody will walk on the same side of the street as you either and they wouldn't take a leak on you if you were on fire. Forget a job or service in a restaurant (they'll just be busy). Chances of getting shot just on race alone are the same. Which is worse, knowing who the idiots are or just never being safe at all?

BTW, the same stuff happens to a white guy in East Point and most of South Fulton County.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 AM

33 posts, read 56,597 times
Quote:
What do you mean a historical tour?
Take a trip and read the newspaper archives from the just after WWI and then after WWII.

Quote:
Are you trying to imply that race relations were better in the South than anywhere else?
Anywhere else? No. Better than most areas that still had entire towns who had never seen a nonwhite person? Yes.

Quote:
I'm not buying that. I speak from my own personal experiences. I could give you details of what I went through, but I want to keep this brief.
I'm not saying that there is no problem with racism. I'm saying that it's not any worse in the south, it's just different. I think it's actually better overall in the south because 90% white towns don't exist (that I know of). Plenty of towns up north don't have racism problems because there just aren't any black people around to make the Connecticut housewives uncomfortable.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveTheChain View Post
Yes, those inbreds are wrong. The racism is just a bit covert in Iowa, South Dakota, and Michigan though. No taunts, but nobody will walk on the same side of the street as you either and they wouldn't take a leak on you if you were on fire. Forget a job or service in a restaurant (they'll just be busy). Chances of getting shot just on race alone are the same. Which is worse, knowing who the idiots are or just never being safe at all?

BTW, the same stuff happens to a white guy in East Point and most of South Fulton County.
My father is from the north(Wisconsin specifically). According to him, he hasn't had that problem up there.

As for East Point and South Fulton County, I never go there myself. I don't know what goes on there. Whenever I go to Fulton County, I never go south of the Five Points MARTA station(unless I go to the airport). I don't ever want to live west of Cobb County ever again and I don't like going north of Woodstock(unless I'm going on some whitewater rafting).

Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
Quote:
But still, when Lincoln was elected, why all of a sudden were there politicians standing up and openly admitting they wanted to keep slavery around?
I suppose preservation of a lifestyle and labor force. The South was a very inhospitable place in Civil War days. There are a handfull of historians who argue the South quite possibly would have never indulged in slavery had the climate not been sub-tropical and a steady flow of immigrants willingly came there to work.

One only need to take at look at the attempts to build the Panama Canal post Civil-war and see the horrific numbers of workers dieng from malaria and other tropical diseases and this argument makes more sense.

To me it's a complex issue and slavery was wrong, no doubt about it, but the Feds were wrong as well and as i said before, it imo was an epic fail of diplomacy on both sides. England's industrial machine was already well started and I believe in part that the Feds were too quick to put their iron and munitions to work to jumpstart their industrial age.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
A few of us northern guys were laying out on Myrtle Beach when some girls walked by and one remarked that her daddy owned a plantation with real live slaves. That was some time ago though - the confederate flag still flew atop the SC capitol bldg.

In Atlanta I went into a store to buy a pack of cigarettes. The clerk said they didn't sell to hippies. I had an army buzz cut and turned to look around and nobody else was there. I insisted and he pulled a rifle out from under the counter.

They like grits. You don't need teeth to eat that stuff.

Southern accents just don't sound very intelligent.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
A few of us northern guys were laying out on Myrtle Beach when some girls walked by and one remarked that her daddy owned a plantation with real live slaves. That was some time ago though - the confederate flag still flew atop the SC capitol bldg.

In Atlanta I went into a store to buy a pack of cigarettes. The clerk said they didn't sell to hippies. I had an army buzz cut and turned to look around and nobody else was there. I insisted and he pulled a rifle out from under the counter.

That's a shame, that's just wrong......bad Southerner, for not pulling the trigger.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post

Why didn't he shoot?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why didn't he shoot?
Why should he? Shooting someone without proper reason(such as self-defense) is considered attempted murder.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Why should he? Shooting someone without proper reason(such as self-defense) is considered attempted murder.
He made fun of us!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He made fun of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City