Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times

Advertisements

Miami is about as southern as pastrami on rye with mustard.

DC is about as southern as blues music; started southern, became northern.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Miami is about as southern as pastrami on rye with mustard.

DC is about as southern as blues music; started southern, became northern.
Yeah, a lot of Blues moved north to Chicago, St. Louis...but a lot of it stayed down south. It didn't "become" northern.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM

396 posts, read 925,570 times
The South doesn't get any respect because it does a poor job marketing itself.

I didn't even know SC had palm trees until last year. There are alot of awesome areas but nobody markets them. A big marketing tool would be Hollywood. You see alot of movies and shows like Entourage (LA), Dark Knight (Chicago), and Departed (Boston) that uses the area as a backdrop and gets people saying "wow, thats a nice place" (hell I entertained grad school in Boston after seeing "The Town" despite me wanting to get away from the cold).

I don't think I've ever seen an exciting movie or show filmed in the south. You only see rural things like in Remember the Titans.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an exciting movie or show filmed in the south. You only see rural things like in Remember the Titans.
Or "Deliverance".

Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
As far as Miami goes, it depends. Like you might not see a lot of this in Miami:

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/p...k_original.jpg

But you will see this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3596/...3116a60405.jpg

Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:

I didn't even know SC had palm trees until last year. There are alot of awesome areas but nobody markets them. A big marketing tool would be Hollywood. You see alot of movies and shows like Entourage (LA), Dark Knight (Chicago), and Departed (Boston) that uses the area as a backdrop and gets people saying "wow, thats a nice place" (hell I entertained grad school in Boston after seeing "The Town" despite me wanting to get away from the cold).

Well I'm hoping the OP just meant respect on this site, obviously we get enough respect to have so any fast growing cities in states like GA, NC, TX, FL, TN.

Places like Austin, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. are growing much faster than some of the "traditional" big cities up north.

Looks like we are getting respect in the real world.

What you said about SC may be just more about you personally than in general. I'm pretty sure most people know about Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Bike Week, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:37 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post

Arent alot of guys doing that all around the country now and not just in the south?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:

the south is probably the biggest nationwide influence from rap, rock, blues, country, jazz, r&b, gospel. and then throw in great movies, oscar winners, like forrest gump. i think the south does a good job with its marketing. i don't think judging a place based on a tv series is a good idea, and if that's why people think a place is nice, then they're going to be disappointed when they find the place isn't like the tv show. new york and jersey folks probably know this best.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 04-29-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 12:29 PM

209 posts, read 524,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Arent alot of guys doing that all around the country now and not just in the south?
Not in Houston.... If you roll down the freeway with one of those, you better get ready to be hated on.

That is a waste of a "slab"

Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Yeah I know guys in New Jersey who have cars like that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City