Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times

Advertisements

The culture of the South and rural Midwest is vastly different from urban culture in America.

Namely it involves demographics. There is no question that culture is a subjective term defined by non Southerners (I am NOT a Southerner). I define culture as a variety of entertainment options, variety of authentic eatiers, various types of nightlife, different portions of the city each with a distinct local flavor, i.e. a huge melting pot of ethnicities, religions, food types (authentic), and entertainment options (art, theater, sports).

In many parts of the South, these things are lacking at least from a non Southerner perspective. Sure, there are plenty of southern cities with distinct culture (New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta, even Charlotte). But even compared to the NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Cleveland style of culture with all the above mentioned things, the Deep South really does lack.

Outside of the major major metros, it is very difficult to find more than a few things to do. In the South, culture seems to be more defined by family, religion, and I can't think of any other way to say it, "Small town values."

If an individual from Boston relocates to Montgomery, AL, it is unlikely such individual will be able to find a different and authentic eatery every night from a different "culture." It is unlikely such person will be able to find tons of professional plays or art galleries to attend.

If such person had family there, I'm sure there would be a lot of BBQs and family get togethers. Perhaps college sports. Hunting, fishing, outdoor type activities are more plentiful in Alabama than New York City.

That's the difference. Culture is how you define it.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
When did I say how great it was there? I'm very happy where I am now. And yes, I admit, the weather isn't perfect anywhere, but I am allowed my own opinion on what bad weather I will tolerate, and so are you. I actually enjoy the nine months of rain here, the summer makes it all worth it. Wouldn't want too many people to move out here, then it would be just as crowded as it is there.

By the way, I didn't live there because I wanted to live in the south, there were other circumstances..
Same with my family. My father is in the South because he took a job down South. Right now he's in the Midwest working(although he has a residence in Georgia). He didn't move to the South because he wanted to be there. As he got older, he started missing his Midwestern home. I think I might move back to the Midwest one day. Culturally, the only thing Southern about his is that he's Baptist. Other than that, he is Midwestern.

Culturally, I have had some trouble. Where I spent middle school and high school, I stood out in so many ways. Where I lived, this is what was of interest to many people: country music(for a large segment of the White population), rap music(for most African-Americans living there), Confederate flags, four wheelers, pick up trucks, NASCAR, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, SEC football, etc. Being African-American, some people find it weird that I don't listen to most rap music. And I live in the Atlanta area, so we have Dirty South hip-hop down here. I'm more of a soul music person, especially old school R&B from the 70's and 80's. My description: I don't like country music. I don't listen to most hip-hop, I don't like the Confederate flag. I don't do four wheelers(never did). I am not into pick-up trucks. I do not like NASCAR. I am a Seattle Mariners fan(since the 1990s), I don't watch NFL or any NCAA football of any kind. I watch soccer. As a teenager I listened to NPR alot, particular when anything with an international theme was on. My accent was different. I have a very Midwestern accent according to alot of people. A friend of my(who is from St. Cloud,MN) says I sounds somewhat Minnesotan or Canadian. While most Southerners say the word "coke" to describe carbonated soft drinks, I use the word "pop". At least where I spent middle school and high school, it was a big culture adjustment.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 PM

79 posts, read 238,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Same with my family. My father is in the South because he took a job down South. Right now he's in the Midwest working(although he has a residence in Georgia). He didn't move to the South because he wanted to be there. As he got older, he started missing his Midwestern home. I think I might move back to the Midwest one day. Culturally, the only thing Southern about his is that he's Baptist. Other than that, he is Midwestern.

Culturally, I have had some trouble. Where I spent middle school and high school, I stood out in so many ways. Where I lived, this is what was of interest to many people: country music(for a large segment of the White population), rap music(for most African-Americans living there), Confederate flags, four wheelers, pick up trucks, NASCAR, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, SEC football, etc. Being African-American, some people find it weird that I don't listen to most rap music. And I live in the Atlanta area, so we have Dirty South hip-hop down here. I'm more of a soul music person, especially old school R&B from the 70's and 80's. My description: I don't like country music. I don't listen to most hip-hop, I don't like the Confederate flag. I don't do four wheelers(never did). I am not into pick-up trucks. I do not like NASCAR. I am a Seattle Mariners fan(since the 1990s), I don't watch NFL or any NCAA football of any kind. I watch soccer. As a teenager I listened to NPR alot, particular when anything with an international theme was on. My accent was different. I have a very Midwestern accent according to alot of people. A friend of my(who is from St. Cloud,MN) says I sounds somewhat Minnesotan or Canadian. While most Southerners say the word "coke" to describe carbonated soft drinks, I use the word "pop". At least where I spent middle school and high school, it was a big culture adjustment.
I get where you're coming from. I had a lot of the same experiences down there too. If you're a Mariners fan and like soccer maybe you should consider moving to Seattle or Portland if you ever have the opportunity. Soccer is huge here.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I get where you're coming from. I had a lot of the same experiences down there too. If you're a Mariners fan and like soccer maybe you should consider moving to Seattle or Portland if you ever have the opportunity. Soccer is huge here.
I used to live in Everett, just north of Seattle. I still have an old banner from the early 90's, and a Seattle Mariners pocket schedule from 1991.

And I was excited when Seattle got an MLS team. Right now, I haven't left the South because I don't have the money to do so.

In the 15 years spent in metropolitan Atlanta, I have met maybe 2 or 3 Mariners fans, the majority of them I met in the late 2000s or 2010. For some reason, very few Seattle residents move to Atlanta.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I used to live in Everett, just north of Seattle. I still have an old banner from the early 90's, and a Seattle Mariners pocket schedule from 1991.

And I was excited when Seattle got an MLS team. Right now, I haven't left the South because I don't have the money to do so.

In the 15 years spent in metropolitan Atlanta, I have met maybe 2 or 3 Mariners fans, the majority of them I met in the late 2000s or 2010. For some reason, very few Seattle residents move to Atlanta.

I can understand why you haven't met many people from Seattle in Atlanta, I couldn't move back down there after living in Portland, I can't stand the humidity. I hope it works out for you to go north soon, it's worth the wait.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:10 PM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
I think southerns let northerners stereotype the hell out of them and their cities. also, northerners complain about the silliest thing: weather, density, public transportation, pizza, museums, history..etc. If those things are so important to u, then take your whining asses back to where u came from.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
I think southerns let northerners stereotype the hell out of them and their cities. also, northerners complain about the silliest thing: weather, density, public transportation, pizza, museums, history..etc. If those things are so important to u, then take your whining asses back to where u came from.
How are those things silly? Okay, the weather one can't do anything about. However, I fail to see how a good pizza place, excellent mass transit, and museums are silly.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I can understand why you haven't met many people from Seattle in Atlanta, I couldn't move back down there after living in Portland, I can't stand the humidity. I hope it works out for you to go north soon, it's worth the wait.
Perhaps. I've spent the majority of my childhood in the South, but I still have memories of living in the Puget Sound area. Still, the heat and humidity is something I can live without. I hope things work out as well. For now I am just making the best with what I am doing.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:

First off R&B started in the south, and rap music started up north, Atlanta also is known for R&B, soul and etc “ironically“.
Second that not even the common stereotype, soul music and etc is stereotyped as very black thing just as much as rap WTF, you didn’t even escape the black stereotype if you thought you did. Then the stereotype is not even center on the south, but African American in general any part of the country.
Third did you just say, you live in the Atlanta area and you stood out because of “Confederate flags, four wheelers, pick up trucks, NASCAR“……… all which you dislike as if that generally what folks like in the Atlanta area "like the Falcons are" ......……….. Fail, that’s all I going to say.
Fourth, of course your going to stand out any where for not cheering the home team. Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons and etc. Are Atlanta teams, your in Atlanta.
Fifth, your going stand out anywhere in America for not liking Football but like soccer in Minnesota.
Last the only thing you said in your post that make sense, that is a culture shock is the Coke/Pop and the accent thing.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
The title of the thread is "Why doesn't the south get any respect?," I think we're just answering the question. There's no need to get offended when people are just honestly answering a question. Southerners stereotype just as much, it's human nature. And, by the way, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. You probably wouldn't like living where I do, and that's fine with me, because I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City