Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 AM

322 posts, read 614,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think it's more due to lack of education on nutrition and lack of wealth to purpose healthier food options.
I doubt that considering how popular our foods are and how your educated, wealthy, and civilized cooking shows usually prepare a dish from New Orleans or another southern state. I mean 7 out of 10 times that fat guy with the highlights is making a cajun dish. I think you people up north too rich and spoiled to know anything about our lifestyle or our food. I've never had a meal up top that I couldnt get in New Orleans better

Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
I doubt that considering how popular our foods are and how your educated, wealthy, and civilized cooking shows usually prepare a dish from New Orleans or another southern state. I mean 7 out of 10 times that fat guy with the highlights is making a cajun dish. I think you people up north too rich and spoiled to know anything about our lifestyle or our food. I've never had a meal up top that I couldnt get in New Orleans better
regardless of why the south is so obese.... it's not something brag about.

and yea stats like that certainly do enforce negative perceptions of the south.

also even if the food is really good... exercise???

Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 AM

322 posts, read 614,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
regardless of why the south is so obese.... it's not something brag about.

and yea stats like that certainly do enforce negative perceptions of the south.

also even if the food is really good... exercise???
Washington DC is ranked as the most physically fit city in the country. Miami is one of the sexiest cities in the country and Austin, Texas was ranked as THE sexiest city in the country. Charlotte, Atlanta, and 7 other cities in Texas were ranked highly as the sexiest cities by Mens health. Most New England cities were ranked at the bottom of the list. They must do at least a little exercise if they're that sexy....maybe its just a lot of really sexy obsese people lol

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
NOLA does have great food. But it is not cosmopolitan. You cannot get good Mexican, Jewish deli, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, nor Sicilian style Italian food like you can in NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
It's common to incorrectly say north vs south. And it's also common to say, as you mentioned in your earlier post:

This is what I commented on initially to point out another common, yet incorrect statement about the Civil War. And as you did in each round of responses, you have included irrelevant information in the last post. I never said there were no northerners for the confederacy so there is no need to mention it. But I think you can finally see the point of my first post, so my work is done. I enjoyed our conversation.
the only incorrect statement you found in my comment of the civil war was that i said north and south, not union and confederacy. it's really pointless, as you knew what the hell i meant. the union were northern states and the confederacy were southern states. whether a few southerners joined the union army or a few northerners joined the confederacy had absolutely nothing to do with the point of my statement. the only reason you picked at it was because it was the ONLY thing you could pick at, either that or you're annoyingly politically correct.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think it's more due to lack of education on nutrition and lack of wealth to purpose healthier food options.
lack of education on nutrition? give me a break. seems pretty informative to me, just as much so as any other department of education's curriculum outline;

alabama department of education health curriculum; "This curriculum guide for health education from kindergarten through high school contains course objectives, content outlines, resource suggestions, and classroom activities appropriate for each grade level. The following units of study are included: 1) consumer health, 2) dental health, 3) environmental health, 4) family health, 5) mental health, 6) nutrition, 7) personal health, 8) disease prevention, 9) safety, and 10) drug use."

as for wealth, that's not a very legit reason. the south's cost of living is much lower than that of a place like new jersey. the salaries down south are more in tone with the cost of living. $40,000 in the south could buy you a nice 4 bedroom house with a garage. $60,000 in connecticut will get you a 2 bedroom shack. gas is $3.59 p/gallon in birmingham, al. gas is $4.09 p/gallon in bridgeport, ct. i'd bet a loaf of bread is probably 0.20 cents cheaper or more on the dollar in birmingham over bridgeport.

the south is just a food loving place. chicago is a fat city because it is a food loving place. buffalo, ny is a fat city because it is a food loving place. cookouts are common down south and there will be tons of food. i went to a family reunion in nashville and you should've seen the stuff they whipped up. i'm in shape, i do landscaping so i have to be in shape, but it was like thanksgiving times 3.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM

407 posts, read 388,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
the only incorrect statement you found in my comment of the civil war was that i said north and south, not union and confederacy. it's really pointless, as you knew what the hell i meant. the union were northern states and the confederacy were southern states. whether a few southerners joined the union army or a few northerners joined the confederacy had absolutely nothing to do with the point of my statement. the only reason you picked at it was because it was the ONLY thing you could pick at, either that or you're annoyingly politically correct.
I don't consider it pointless when referring to the union as the north discredits the role of southerners in the union victory. The union did not consist of northern states and the south southern states. The union consisted of all states. Again, it was not a few southerners that joined the union army. It was a substantial number that had a significant role in the union victory, including high ranking military officers and even the U.S. President. I am trying to be historically correct. I am not sure what political correctness has to do with the argument.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Washington DC is ranked as the most physically fit city in the country. Miami is one of the sexiest cities in the country and Austin, Texas was ranked as THE sexiest city in the country. Charlotte, Atlanta, and 7 other cities in Texas were ranked highly as the sexiest cities by Mens health. Most New England cities were ranked at the bottom of the list. They must do at least a little exercise if they're that sexy....maybe its just a lot of really sexy obsese people lol
i agree. there are tons of hot girls down south, and NOBODY in this country should be dogging the south based on obesity, i mean really.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i agree. there are tons of hot girls down south, and NOBODY in this country should be dogging the south based on obesity, i mean really.
Exactly. The south just simply has a higher obesity rate, but no region in this country needs to be bragging.

http://www.treehugger.com/obesity-usa.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
washington DC and Miami are southern geographically and that's about it. They are in no way shape or form "southern" other perhaps a slight twang in their accents.

Also who is doing these sexy rankings? could you do a ranking on something more subjective?

besides you can have a lot of sexy young women, but if they're all obese by the time they're 30 who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. The south just simply has a higher obesity rate, but no region in this country needs to be bragging.
unbelievable. I cannot believe that in the most fit state in the country nearly a fifth of the people are obese! and one in three people in Mississippi are obese?!?!?!

Mind boggling.

totally agree, this whole country has a problem... not just the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City