Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Htown, reading through this thread you are in rare and defensive form today. Normally you seem more agreeable and have more tact with your objections. What gives?

Honestly I don't see Dallas or Houston as having any more or less notoriety than one another. And I didn't realize the NBA was that big abroad. My travel abroad didn't involve any discussions about major league sports. Perhaps some have different experiences abroad than what you have encountered?

My impression is the media, political, and pop culture centers lead the pack.

NY
LA
DC
Miami (especially for Latin America)

then the iconic places

Chicago
SF
Boston
Philly
Seattle
New Orleans
Hawaii
Texas as a state rather than Dallas or Houston
Disney World/Orlando

and for business, sports, or other reasons

Houston
Dallas
Denver
Atlanta
Detroit

It seems the Brits are the most well versed in American geography and could probably name off cities like St. Louis, Denver, and Phoenix with familiarity. In France about half the people I came across were familiar with what Boston is, some only a vague idea, and a few had never heard of it. One thing that seems undeniable is most of the world is probably more well versed in American geography than Americans are to world geography and sadly lots of Americans don't even know that New Mexico is a state.
Thanks for a unbiased well balanced post. Its nice to see some objectivity.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Boston- who on earth knows where Harvard and all those schools are? I do agree that Boston has a lot of name recognition internationally, but not because people know the schools are there. Their biggest brand is the Celtics.
Schools, yeah that could be true. Probably as much as the average American knowing exactly where Oxford and Cambridge Universities are. You're dead wrong on the Celtics though. The Red Sox infinitely have more notoriety.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Personally, not many people I know wouldn't know if Harvard or MIT is in New York, DC, or San Diego.

Atlanta has a large music industry. That must be a heavy rock you live under.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:04 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Thanks for a unbiased well balanced post. Its nice to see some objectivity.
your welcome

Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Schools, yeah that could be true. Probably as much as the average American knowing exactly where Oxford and Cambridge Universities are. You're dead wrong on the Celtics though. The Red Sox infinitely have more notoriety..
Yeah, growing up I though that Oxford was in London

and yeah someone already reminded me about the Red Sox.
As for the Celtics, you have to give them some credit though. They have been popular for 50 years, and have produced huge stars

Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Okay looking through maybe the Red Sox and Celtics are a bigger part of why Boston would be known than I indicated. Baseball does have a big following in Asia and Latin America. (Europeans don't like it though so it got kind of booted from the Olympics)

I admit I'm a bit clueless on things like that because I don't much care for team sports and tend to think of "our sports" as not translating that well overseas. Still I'm enough not a sports person if I were to think of Manchester, England it wouldn't be for "Manchester United" even if on some level I know that's why most people in the world would likely know of it. I just didn't even think of people knowing or even caring that much about US Basketball teams, even if I maybe knew they knew certain players. (Jordan, Kareem, Magic Johnson, Yao Ming, etc)

Note: The "Atlanta has music now" was something of a joke as I thought was clear. What I meant is I wouldn't have instantly thought of Atlanta as one of the US's bigger music towns. Memphis is the home/birth of the blues, New Orleans is jazz's home, Nashville is country, Detroit is soul, Atlanta is...?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I admit I'm a bit clueless on things like that because I don't much care for team sports and tend to think of "our sports" as not translating that well overseas. Still I'm enough not a sports person if I were to think of Manchester, England it wouldn't be for "Manchester United" even if on some level I know that's why most people in the world would likely know of it. I just didn't even think of people knowing or even caring that much about US Basketball teams, even if I maybe knew they knew certain players. (Jordan, Kareem, Magic Johnson, Yao Ming, etc)
people like Larry Bird, MJ and Magic transcended basketball into huge stars.
When you have these in movies, video games and cartoons.

Larry Bird was the man.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Atlanta is home to rap or new hip-hop. Not by creation, but by the artists that came from there as well as the industry located there built off rap and R&B.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Atlanta is home to rap or new hip-hop. Not by creation, but by the artists that came from there as well as the industry located there built off rap and R&B.
Atlanta is not the HOME of anything dealing with rap. "Homes" never change

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Atlanta is not the HOME of anything dealing with rap. "Homes" never change
Yes they do. happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City