Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Lol someone should make a thread "which of these pairs is the more Asian: Ontario or California, British Columbia or California, Washington or Alberta, Quebec or New Jersey"

These would all be good matches. In reality, Asians are more represented as a percentage of the total population in British Columbia and in Ontario than in California, but the Asian population is much more evenly distributed between metros and outlying areas in California than in the two Canadian Provinces. Outside of GTA and GVRD, Ontario and British Columbia, respectively, don't have that many Asians.
Well, keep in mind that due to Canada's immigration laws and geography, the VAST majority of immigrants there come from Asia, as opposed to the United States that borders Latin America and draws immigrants from there.

It's important to note that the population of Asians in California as a WHOLE outnumbers the amount of Asians in Canada as a WHOLE, but due to the influx of Hispanic immigrants here, the proportion of Asians in CA will be lower than BC or Ontario.

There are areas outside of Vancouver and Toronto that have decent populations of Asian people (Abbotsford has a HUGE Desi population, Kitchner-Waterloo has an increasing population of Asians as well).

I think another telling statistic about California's Asian population is that only around 3.5 million Asians are accounted for in the LA (which includes the IE) and Bay Areas, leaving around 1.4 million spread out across the rest of the state amongst 14 million people. In New York, even taking out the city itself would leave around 330,000 Asians to be spread out amongst 11 million people (for the whole metro area, it would be 800,000 amongst 14 million people). However, this does get to my point about how rapidly increasing NYC is becoming more Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Did those numbers for LA include Orange County?
Yes, it's the whole combined statistical area (including Ventura, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Orange Counties)

Here are places in NYC that have become vibrant centers of Asian population. If anyone from NYC wants to add, feel free to:

Jackson Heights, Queens

YouTube - ‪Jackson aka Jaikisen Heights, Queens, New York‬‏
Flushing, Queens

YouTube - ‪Flushing New York‬‏
Chinatown, Manhattan

YouTube - ‪Canal Street: Chinatown in New York (for Chinese lovers)‬‏
Sunset Park (Chinatown), Brooklyn

YouTube - ‪An Extensive Tour Of Brooklyn NY On Bicycle Sunset Park Chinatown Part 15‬‏
Koreatown, Manhattan

YouTube - ‪Korean Beacon Tour of 32nd Street K Town in New York - Part 1‬‏

Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 AM

208 posts, read 411,381 times
I know why NY boosters aren't up in this thread, A: California clearly has a higher Asian population than NY state-to-state, and B: Being "More Asian" isn't a good thing.

It's not a bad thing either, it's just one of those random things. It doesn't boost or degrade your city to be more or less Asian. You're just comparing hard facts which is Asian population numbers.

Like those "Which city is more Black" or "Which state is more Latino" threads, there really isn't much room for debate.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
I know why NY boosters aren't up in this thread, A: California clearly has a higher Asian population than NY state-to-state, and B: Being "More Asian" isn't a good thing.

It's not a bad thing either, it's just one of those random things. It doesn't boost or degrade your city to be more or less Asian. You're just comparing hard facts which is Asian population numbers.
Well, if all else fails, at least we can have a nice discussion about what each side offers because I was surprised myself how much Asian stuff NYC/Tri-State Area offers. It doesn't only have to be through population numbers, but also through things such as "feel" or "vibrancy", where there sure could be some room for debate. After all, there aren't very many places in California quite like Flushing, Sunset Park, or Jackson Heights.

Since I was only there for a year, I didn't get to explore it enough.

Don't hesitate to throw in anywhere in NJ in either. It's fine. At least for me, I just want to get an interesting discussion going between the difference between Asians here on the West Coast and Asians there on the East Coast.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:20 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I will say that it is interesting to see Asian businesses on Syracuse's Northside, which to be owned by SE Asians and largely by Vietnamese, in particular. You see some Indian restaurants and businesses on Syracuse's Eastside, as well as suburbs like DeWitt and the Liverpool area

Old 05-21-2011, 05:15 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Actually areas like Flushing aren't very unique to Southern California (Little Saigon, Little Tokyo, Thaitown, Koreatown, Filipino Town, Little Tapei, Chinatown). New Yorkers tend to mention Flushing, but then have their minds blown when they visit the San Gabriel Valley in California which stretches over 200sq miles of city after city of mostly asian populations. It dwarfs Flushing in asian feel and in true numbers. Most new immigrants from china are coming to this area by a larger proportion than all of California.

With New York, the living style tends to be more integrated rather than racially clustered/segregated as in California, southern at least. That's the beauty of NYC but also the detriment compared to the strong ethnic flavor of neighborhoods in Southern California.

Asian foods overall are better in southern california than in NYC. Most foodies and writers have conceded that Flushing has not the breadth or depth of San Gabriel Valley when it comes to Chinese food. That speaks volumes about the vibrancy of the chinese population in LA. And then you have vietnamese, thai, korean, filipino, and japanese foods which are historically known to be stronger in LA.

Even the universities in LA are heavily concentrated. I think UC Irvine has over 50% ethnic asian student body. In fact, Berkeley, UCSD, UC Davis, have a body of over 40% asians. I don't think the east coast has anything as asian-dominant.

Honestly, LA alone has a more asian feel than all of NYC, let alone California.

Last edited by dtran103; 05-21-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
At this point 88% disagree

Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My initial point is that a neighborhood in NYC probably does and is probably as big as Daly City. I know a community in Upstate isn't that high. I think the community with the highest percentage of Asians in Upstate NY is the village of Lansing at around 25%. I did find that the Census Designated Place of Forest Home is 40% Asian. Both are just outside of Ithaca.
In Daly City Asians outnumber Whites. No city in the state of New York can claim that. Outside of Hawaii, very few cities in the mainland United States has more Asians than Whites. Daly City is very unique in that sense.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:43 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
At this point 88% disagree
Disagree with what? Of course, California is more Asian. It has to be, almost by default just due to its location.

Having said that, there's more than enough Asians in the NYC area to have plenty of Asian neighborhoods and Asian diversity.

There's way more Asian cultural diversity in the NYC area than there is European cultural diversity anywhere in California. Think about that. ;-)

Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
As far as colleges in NY, Baruch College in the City University of NY system is 31.8% Asian and has the highest percentage in the state for at least public colleges. I believe that the CUNY system is the only public system that has at least one college that is pluralistically or predominately more Asian, Hispanic, Black and White, in the country.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
It's funny because I've had plenty of friends from the East Coast who were absolutely surprised that California had such a large Asian population. It freaked them out when we were driving in the Central Valley to see Japanese and Filipino owned farms, with some Hmong farmworkers (not that really is the norm either but it can be found). When I moved to NYC when I was 14, I was shocked myself to find so many Asians out in NYC.
Yeah, I had a coworker from Ireland who was out here in SF and hadn't been anywhere outside the city, so I took him out to Sacramento via Vallejo (where we shot a gun and he bought a Stetson), then down to Stockton and back. On the way back through the Central Valley, we stopped at a Ross so he could get some sunglasses, and we were the only white people there other than those at the register... as we were talking, the teenaged Asian-American gals behind us started giggling and asked where we were from (I have a Boston accent, he has an Irish one) before asking us why in the world we were there of all places. In that little complex with the Ross, there was a Hawaiian barbecue, a Chinese buffet, a Filipino joint and a taqueria. Out in the middle of nowhere, between Sac and Stock, surrounded by farmland.

California's Asians are a hell of a lot more than urbanized immigrants and their suburban ivy-league hopeful progeny. They live out in the boonies, they run farms... after three, four generations of Asian-Americans, they're nearly totally integrated into the social fabric of California. Of course, there are cultural influences that will continue to run that many generations deep, but again: in many communities with a larger Asian presence, that's just part of the local diaspora now.

Quote:
Diversity, ain't it wonderful sometimes?
Hell yeah it's awesome. The dating pool here in CA is f'in awesome.

Quote:
This is so true. I can say the reverse is true: there are also plenty of Asian and White people who shop at Hispanic stores in the LA and Bay Areas, like Vallarta or Superior (SoCal Hispanic chains) or Mi Pueblo (NorCal Hispanic Chain) because spices are more readily available, along with fruits and vegetables being MUCH cheaper. I'll reiterate: sometimes its harder to find American fare food around LA and the Bay than it is to find various ethnic foods.

That's the one issue I remember my mom had in NYC: it was sorta difficult to find a local Asian grocer, never mind the typical Filipino type grocery store (think Seafood City) that seem to be everywhere in California. Since we lived on Staten Island, we had to make trips to New Jersey for a Filipino grocery store, or go to Brooklyn's Chinatown or Manhattan's to buy vegetables and fruits. I'm sure that access will improve as time moves on. Besides, Costco did the job! I'm sure if we lived in Queens, things would have been a LOT different.
I was born in Seattle and spent much of my childhood in and around there, as well as on military bases all over the US. There were a few Asian supermarkets in Seattle we'd go to (now there are way more), and plenty down in the Auburn area when we moved there - due to my partial Asian ancestry, we had a fair amount of Asian cooking around the house... plus we were poor, and you can't beat the prices on Asian produce When we moved to Boston/Cambridge, it took about a week of me riding my bike around to find a Korean grocer in Central Square and a Japanese grocer in Porter, both of which were tiny, but you could get the staples at least.

After I moved out to LA at 18, I was about equidistant to Hankook Super (Korean), Seafood City (Filipino), Ranch 99 (Pan Asian), California Super #1 (Korean), and California Super #2 (Mexican), plus a bunch of smaller carnicerias. Up here in SF, I have dozens of Asian grocers near me, and I drive out to the closest Mi Puebla to load up on fresh salsa by the pound, spices, and all the necessary produce for taco night

I don't know if I could go back to Mass or NY after having spent nine years back out West now. Totally different speed and substance of life no matter how you swing it (not saying one is better than the other, just sayin').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City