Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Never noticed anyone in Baltimore with an inferiority complex towards Washington. People in Baltimore are chill, they don't give a hell about Washington. It's called having a life, if your tangled thinking about a place you don't live in to mention it everyday, then you have serious issues and should consider moving.

By that aspect, I would say most people in Baltimore are just fine with what they have.
Agree. I personally don't know of any Baltimoreans who give much thought to DC, Philadelphians to NY, Ft Worth folks to Dallas, etc. These claims are tired conceits hauled out by people who have either not been to any of these places, repeat what they've read on CD, and/or like to pull chains hoping for a reaction.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
SGD - What's up? Although there are many differences, I do agree that Baltimore has more in common with Philly than just rowhomes. Yet, as KP stated, I still think Philly is more similar to Boston than to Baltimore. That said, I'm OK if you disagree since we're just sharing our opinions here.

For me, Baltimore actually has more in common with Norfolk than with Philly. For example:
- Each has ports on the Chesapeake which great influence their character and economy
- Each city has developed a tourist center at their harbor
- There is lots of bridge and tunnel infrastructure in each metro
- Although not as prevalent, Norfolk does have its share of row homes
- Demographics are somewhat similar:
Norfolk: 47.1% White, 43.1% African American, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.3% Asian
Baltimore: 33.1% White, 63.2% African American, 3% Hispanic, 2% Asian

I feel if Richmond and Norfolk had a love child, it would have grown up to be Baltimore.
All I asked for was outside of rowhomes how? Not you, kid or anybody else has given distinct reasoning.. Like seriously I'm not being a smart ***(maybe a little), I'm just asking HOW are they similiar?

That being said, the way you just broke down how Baltimore is similar to norfolk and richmond is exactly what I'm asking, you gave distinct reasoning From their demographics to their tourist attractions.. I'll actually rep you for that because that's what I'm asking for.

And please people don't get it twisted I enjoy Baltimore for what it is and I've defended it on this very website, they have the nicest people and also I've probably said it 1000 times on here between today and yesterday I will be there this weekend to visit friends, and you better believe I will be at the harbor in houlihan's enjoying a drink.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That is the case with Philadelphia as well. People from Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC are all fiercely proud of their respective cities. The only city that may have an inferiority complex on the East Coast is DC toward NYC but even then the cities are far enough from eachother that it is not noticeable.
I never seen or heard anyone in DC with an inferiority complex for any city. If anything, DC has a elitist attitude - It's all about who do you work for, what kind of car you drive, how much do you make, who do you know. If you spent an inkling amount of time in DC, you would definitely know what I'm talking about. NY & DC are the big dawgs on the east coast.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
All I asked for was outside of rowhomes how? Not you, kid or anybody else has given distinct reasoning.. Like seriously I'm not being a smart ***(maybe a little), I'm just asking HOW are they similiar?

That being said, the way you just broke down how Baltimore is similar to norfolk and richmond is exactly what I'm asking, you gave distinct reasoning From their demographics to their tourist attractions.. I'll actually rep you for that because that's what I'm asking for.

And please people don't get it twisted I enjoy Baltimore for what it is and I've defended it on this very website, they have the nicest people and also I've probably said it 1000 times on here between today and yesterday I will be there this weekend to visit friends, and you better believe I will be at the harbor in houlihan's enjoying a drink.

Well I believe I have layed out similarities, maybe not demos or whatever.

I also suggest you get away from the harbor - Well Harbor East has become much more interesting. Also Canton is a nice change and pretty decent area

Although havent been in a few years this place had decent Tapas and a pretty good bar vibe

Pazo

Enjoy your trip

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well I believe I have layed out similarities, maybe not demos or whatever.

I also suggest you get away from the harbor - Well Harbor East has become much more interesting. Also Canton is a nice change and pretty decent area

Although havent been in a few years this place had decent Tapas and a pretty good bar vibe

Pazo

Enjoy your trip
Maybe I missed it, all I saw was "they're similar they're similar they're similar" without any real explanation. Sorry, I come in peace.

Thanks! I'll have to mention this place to them, I only know about places they take me which is normally outside of Baltimore. However I found a home at houlihan's

Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I never seen or heard anyone in DC with an inferiority complex for any city. If anything, DC has a elitist attitude - NY & DC are the big dawgs on the east coast.
You are kind of proving what I'm talking about though. Maybe it's just the posters on C-D but DC is constantly trying to compete and be mentioned in the same sentence as NYC. Boston, Philly and Baltimore don't have this attitude. And sorry, but DC does not compete with NYC. Philly and NYC are the two biggest cities on the East Coast and it will remain that way for the forseeable future.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I never seen or heard anyone in DC with an inferiority complex for any city. If anything, DC has a elitist attitude - It's all about who do you work for, what kind of car you drive, how much do you make, who do you know. If you spent an inkling amount of time in DC, you would definitely know what I'm talking about. NY & DC are the big dawgs on the east coast.

At the risk of sounding contentious I find this post to actually be some attempt at making a correlation to NYC or even propping up to that level. The city itself is by no means at the level of NYC - yes the Gov't factors but somehow it is seperate in viewing the living aspect of the city in a completely different way than NYC, yes a tremndous political power (and is unique to DC) but when viewing the city itself there is a huge disparity between NYC and DC, not even close from my perspective. I do agree there is an elitist attitude but as a city on the East Coast (Probably better stated as the NE)there is NYC then there is the DCs, Bostons, and Phillys - the later are all much closer than any of these are to the "Big Dawg" NYC

And maybe it is just on here but I hear many comments aserting DC and even SF by their residents as being similar on on the level with NYC - but I guess we agree to disagree (BTW I have lived in DC, NYC, and SF)

Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You are kind of proving what I'm talking about though. Maybe it's just the posters on C-D but DC is constantly trying to compete and be mentioned in the same sentence as NYC. Boston, Philly and Baltimore don't have this attitude. And sorry, but DC does not compete with NYC. Philly and NYC are the two biggest cities on the East Coast and it will remain that way for the forseeable future.
This.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:13 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
DC does not try to compete with NYC. I am giving you the obvious. DC is arguably the most powerful city in the free world, like it or not. If you know anything about DC residents, they could care less about NYC. Philly is not even on the same level as DC. When you mention biggest in regard to Philly, you can only be talking about size or population. I know you are not talking about impact, sphere of influence, media power, per capita income, diversity, employment, cosmopolitan, pace of life, transportation, amenities, educated populace, sophistication or any other measurable along those lines. The attitude you speak about is more of an arrogance because I live in DC and I know the city's place in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post

That being said, the way you just broke down how Baltimore is similar to norfolk and richmond is exactly what I'm asking, you gave distinct reasoning From their demographics to their tourist attractions. I'll actually rep you for that because that's what I'm asking for.

Hey - I never got you were trashing Baltimore. I really like it there as well. A few pages back, I thought Denver and KP did a pretty good job of laying out some similarities that covered what I was thinking plus some. Agree with them or not - it's all good.

Have a good time this weekend. Last time we were down there, we ate the best crabcakes ever at a place called Moe's near Harbor East and Little Italy. We're headed to NY ourselves. What's wrong with this picture: the kick-off of summer and neither of us going down the shore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City