Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times

Advertisements

Houston/Dallas - maybe.

Houston/DFW - no.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Houston/Dallas - maybe.

Houston/DFW - no.
I agree, those 2 are maybes.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
"but now both lack Urbanity"

How? Do you mean they didnt grow into major cities with millions of people in their metro areas like their earlier peers? If so, gotcha.

I dont know about lacking urbanity though. I've heard many describe Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans as more "urban" than the sprawled, much more populous southern metros that developed much later (Charlotte, ATL, Dallas, etc.)
let me rephrase that then: they lack modernness. they don't have skyscrapers or big mass transits or things that are asscociated with the typical american city. savaana and charleston both have a huge focus on history (ill say ti again, "Old South") and thats what there famous for.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree, those 2 are maybes.
I was saying DFW was a no since DFW consist of two major cities and three major 'city-burbs' with several smaller cities around them.

Houston is just Houston with several much smaller cities around it

Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I was saying DFW was a no since DFW consist of two major cities and three major 'city-burbs' with several smaller cities around them.

Houston is just Houston with several much smaller cities around it

I really think DFW is not trememdously different. FW is a small city with a huge border of which much isnt even developed. I actually really like the DT area in FW, truly but really FW is not a major city in and of it itself.

And understanding there is a bit of rivalry between Dallas and FW the two together are stronger then either alone, why all the animosity? serious question. And it would seem that FW at this point truly benefits from the overall strength of the region - so again why is there this division - the two are stronger together than either alone

As an outsider looking in the construct of both Houston (though more core focused) and DFW really are not that much different. There are many places that if plopped down and asked to choose it would be very difficult to an outsider and there is a lot similarities to the development style overall. Yes not exact but IMHO these two are some of the most similar Metros in the US.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I really think DFW is not trememdously different. FW is a small city with a huge border of which much isnt even developed. I actually really like the DT area in FW, truly but really FW is not a major city in and of it itself.

And understanding there is a bit of rivalry between Dallas and FW the two together are stronger then either alone, why all the animosity? serious question. And it would seem that FW at this point truly benefits from the overall strength of the region - so again why is there this division - the two are stronger together than either alone

As an outsider looking in the construct of both Houston (though more core focused) and DFW really are not that much different. There are many places that if plopped down and asked to choose it would be very difficult to an outsider and there is a lot similarities to the development style overall. Yes not exact but IMHO these two are some of the most similar Metros in the US.
Definetly more at the core.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly. Philly, Boston and NYC feel different than Baltimore/DC because in addition to the large African-American influence in these cities there is a huge influence of Irish/Italian/Hispanic immigrants, so to me there is a more diversified culture. The white people in DC are not from the city and don't share in the same traditions/culture that ALL RESIDENTS of Philly, NYC and Boston do.

You do know that DC's neighborhoods were largely white until the late 50's. Maury Povich from "The Maury Show" grew up in DC and went to all white Cardozo High School. DC consisted of mostly Jewish people and scattered neighborhoods of blacks. Places like Petworth, Brightwood, and Takoma were mostly Jewish. They owned all of the department stores in DT DC. White flight hit DC in the late 50's and 60's. DC just became a very transient city in the last 20 years. Whites have lived in DC for centuries. BTW: Home grown white people from DC have a northeast accent. Just google Maury Povich and DC.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
I second Philly and Baltimore. Baltimore is on a somewhat smaller scale, but they both have a lot of the same culture and landscape.
Yes! Philly and Baltimore are alot alike.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Yes! Philly and Baltimore are alot alike.
My thought, too; Wilmington, DE also feels like a miniature version of these two cities.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 AM

418 posts, read 809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My thought, too; Wilmington, DE also feels like a miniature version of these two cities.
I noticed that too when I drove through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City