Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Hilo has a population of 43,263, according to the 2010 Census. You are correct that it is very lush, far more so than Honolulu and indeed more so than any other town of any decent size in Hawaii.
Really? Maybe I wasn't looking at the greater metro area, I thought it was just around 10,000 or so. Guess I was wrong.

I would also add Key West to the list. It's got about 50,000 people I think, it's also very lush and is Tropical. It's certainly a contender. Very beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Really? Maybe I wasn't looking at the greater metro area, I thought it was just around 10,000 or so. Guess I was wrong.

I would also add Key West to the list. It's got about 50,000 people I think, it's also very lush and is Tropical. It's certainly a contender. Very beautiful place.
The population figure I gave you is for the Census Designated Place, which basically covers what I would consider to be just Hilo, not a larger metropolitan area.

Hopefully the link will work right, but here's a map showing the Hilo CDP:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The population of Key West is 24,649. (It just feels more crowded with all the tourists!)

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The population figure I gave you is for the Census Designated Place, which basically covers what I would consider to be just Hilo, not a larger metropolitan area.

Hopefully the link will work right, but here's a map showing the Hilo CDP:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The population of Key West is 24,649. (It just feels more crowded with all the tourists!)
Oh, thanks lol.

I've never been to either place, but would certainly love too. I was just under the impression that both Key West and Hilo were small towns. To which by my standards they still are, as Cities to me have several hundred thousand to millions of people.

I would love to see Hawaii and The Keys! Probably Hawaii first because I hear it's natural beauty is breathtaking. I'm sure The Keys are beautiful too, but not on the same scale as Hawaii, and Key West has a bit of a reputation for being a crazy drunk party town, and I'm not really into that. I want to see the Keys for the history and fishing, and Hemingway house.

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2014 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
The Lushest Subtropical US City: Atlanta

Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
florida is sub tropical as well as california and other ones the only US state that is tropical is Hawaii

The map you posted shows the southern tip of Florida as tropical (it is grey, not yellow).

Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
If Miami and Key West aren't considered tropical by some people, then they would have to consider the Bahamas and Cuba to also not be tropical, because they also rarely get low temps in the 30s. Miami and south in Florida are most certainly tropical in climate!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Oh, thanks lol.

I've never been to either place, but would certainly love too. I was just under the impression that both Key West and Hilo were small towns. To which by my standards they still are, as Cities to me have several hundred thousand to millions of people.

I would love to see Hawaii and The Keys! Probably Hawaii first because I hear it's natural beauty is breathtaking. I'm sure The Keys are beautiful too, but not on the same scale as Hawaii, and Key West has a bit of a reputation for being a crazy drunk party town, and I'm not really into that. I want to see the Keys for the history and fishing, and Hemingway house.
I've been to both, and I agree with your assessment. The Keys are indeed beautiful (be sure and drive to Key West via the Overseas Highway, U.S. 1, as opposed to flying directly there), but it's not on the same scale as Hawaii. And you're right about Key West being a party town. Hilo is much, much more low-key. Even though its population is larger, it feels smaller to me, because it's not so crowded in like Key West is.

For people who like parties and an active bar scene and nightlife, Key West is paradise, and Hilo will bore them to tears. For people who like calm, quiet, and peaceful small towns, Hilo is wonderful. To be fair, Key West actually does offer traces of that sort of thing as well . . . but only traces. Both places offer exquisite natural beauty, though Hilo (and its environs, especially the Hamakua Coast) comes out on top, IMO. Both places also offer charming historical properties (e.g. Hemingway house) and a pleasant ambiance.

Though Hilo is far better suited to my own temperament, I've enjoyed visiting both places. I hope you'll get the chance to see them too.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
As someone who lived in South Florida for years, I would venture to say that the lushest tropical area of the U.S. is coastal mainland Miami-Dade County, FL south of the Rickenbacker Casueway.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Hong Kong wins (for sun intensity ) AND winter low temperatures. I am not surprised because it is TROPICAL.

[URL="http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=70054&refer=&cityname=Hong-Kong-China"]Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China - Travel, Vacation and Reference Information[/URL]

[URL="http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=20227&refer=&cityname=Miami-Florida-United-States-of-America"]Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Miami, Florida, United States of America - Travel, Vacation and Reference Information[/URL]

Honolulu, Hilo, San Juan, and Guam are the tropical places in the United States of America, NOT any part of Florida.
I live in New Orleans Louisiana and I can grow Mangoes and coconut palms.... I've been to both Miami and San Juan and in my opinion Miami is prettier and more modern. Spain isn't around the equator but it has zone 12 cities. in Miami I have seen Banyans, coconut palms, bottle palms, mangoes, star fruit, durians, koas, rainbow shower trees, and more. These can all grow there with no protection. New Orleans is a subtropical zone 9b city and I grow heliconias, ixora, seagrapes, Hawaiian ti plants, cannonball tree, pink shower tree, bird of paradise, bottle palms, hibiscus, bananas, philodendrons, and more. The only plant that needs little protection is the cannonball tree. Bermuda isn't close to the equator but is tropical.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:11 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
the US doesn't really have any tropical areas.
?????
Hawaii
Florida
Puerto Rico
Guam
US Virgin Islands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City