Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

I prefer Chicago because its in the states
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:20 PM

266 posts, read 276,323 times
Downtown Chicago felt very sterile, cold, and impersonal to me. Downtown Montreal is far superior. Especially when it comes to nightlife. Go down to Crescent Street on a Friday or Saturday night in the summer, and there are tens of thousands of bar and club goers, countless places to eat open until 3am or later, etc. Rush Street in Chicago doesn't even come close.

I didn't have a chance to see the rest of Chicago.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan2 View Post
Downtown Chicago felt very sterile, cold, and impersonal to me. Downtown Montreal is far superior. Especially when it comes to nightlife. Go down to Crescent Street on a Friday or Saturday night in the summer, and there are tens of thousands of bar and club goers, countless places to eat open until 3am or later, etc. Rush Street in Chicago doesn't even come close.

I like Crescent street, but the best party streets in downtown Montreal (and Le Plateau) are St. Laurent and St. Denis. Intensity is turned up and it's just blocks and blocks of bars and clubs.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Quote:

I'll admit the club scene might go to Montreal, but Chicago is on par and/or surpasses Montreal for the local bar scene. Chicago can give off an impersonal feel in the downtown (especially after hours), but that's only because people underestimate the sheer size of its central business district. Montreal is much smaller and more condensed. In every other aspect- shopping, neighborhoods, food, museums, comedy & theater- Chicago is leaps ahead.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 PM

263 posts, read 567,227 times
Quote:

I am not exactly sure what some the posters mean by downtown Chicago, as that term is used in different ways. The strict definition would the Central Business District (known as the Loop). That is very busy during the day, but mostly empties out after everyone goes home after work. There are some upscale restaurants, but no nightlife of which I am aware. There is not much residential space in the Loop, and it is not really a place I would want to live as it is "dead" on nights and weekends.

However, adjoining or near the Loop are very active neighborhoods (River North, River West, West Loop, South Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, Mag Mile). Those neighborhoods (possibly excepting portions of the South Loop) are full of nightlife and restaurants. Sometimes even local suburbanites refer to these neighborhoods as "Downtown."

The ghetto parts of Chicago are not really anywhere near where a tourist would find themselves, unless they really veer off course or decide to explore.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I'll admit the club scene might go to Montreal, but Chicago is on par and/or surpasses Montreal for the local bar scene.
Not in the downtown (which is all I really had time to see).

Quote:
In every other aspect- shopping, neighborhoods, food, museums, comedy & theater- Chicago is leaps ahead.
Nah....if that's what you think you haven't spent enough time in Montreal, or haven't seen enough areas of Montreal.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
I am not exactly sure what some the posters mean by downtown Chicago, as that term is used in different ways. The strict definition would the Central Business District (known as the Loop). That is very busy during the day, but mostly empties out after everyone goes home after work. There are some upscale restaurants, but no nightlife of which I am aware. There is not much residential space in the Loop, and it is not really a place I would want to live as it is "dead" on nights and weekends.

However, adjoining or near the Loop are very active neighborhoods (River North, River West, West Loop, South Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, Mag Mile). Those neighborhoods (possibly excepting portions of the South Loop) are full of nightlife and restaurants. Sometimes even local suburbanites refer to these neighborhoods as "Downtown."

The ghetto parts of Chicago are not really anywhere near where a tourist would find themselves, unless they really veer off course or decide to explore.

When I say "downtown Chicago" I'm referring to the Greater Downtown area, not just the Loop. We spent time in the "River North/Rush Street" area, and it didn't even come close to downtown Montreal as far as nightlife goes. Go to Crescent Street or St. Laurent on a Friday or Saturday night, and tell me there's anything close to that volume of activity and number of bars/clubs in any neighbourhood in Chicago. There are literally tens of thousands of people in the street, even at 3am. Rush Street was a fraction that activity when I was there.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 PM

263 posts, read 567,227 times
Quote:
When I say "downtown Chicago" I'm referring to the Greater Downtown area, not just the Loop. We spent time in the "River North/Rush Street" area, and it didn't even come close to downtown Montreal as far as nightlife goes. Go to Crescent Street or St. Laurent on a Friday or Saturday night, and tell me there's anything close to that volume of activity and number of bars/clubs in any neighbourhood in Chicago. There are literally tens of thousands of people in the street, even at 3am. Rush Street was a fraction that activity when I was there.
I have not been to Montreal, but I have been to Europe, and the nightlife and general bustle and amount of people on the streets was much greater than in Chicago. IMO that is a cultural thing, whereas Chicago is bustling by American standards, American standards of bustling are not the same as what is found in European cities. My impression is that Montreal is more along the lines of a European city.

Saying that, there is still plenty to do in Chicago and I have not heard of many visitors sitting around bored.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:28 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:

That's because Rush in downtown also has very little nightlife. If you're going to name one street, I at least would have gone with Hubbard or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post

The city of Chicago's government refers to many of those neighborhoods as downtown, not just suburbanites. He's also referencing River North / Gold Coast since he's talking about Rush.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
That's because Rush in downtown also has very little nightlife. If you're going to name one street, I at least would have gone with Hubbard or something.
If I'm back there and Hubbard is within walking distance of my hotel, I'll try to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City