Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF OR PHILLY
Philly! The City of Brotherly Love 48 43.64%
SF! The City of ... well i dont know... 62 56.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
^^ thank you 415!

i think its important for everyone. i don't think someone who visits from madrid or singapore appreciates being kicked out of a bar/lounge at 1:45
eh i mean i'm not against bars being able to be open later than 2. and when i am in dc or nyc i do tend to stay out later. but it's just not a very big deal to me. certainly not a big enough deal to act like a city's nightlife is awful just because the bars close at 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 PM

191 posts, read 214,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, I mean, when I lived in LA I had tons of hookups and all that, and me and a friend could always impress a girl by heading to a club or a house party in the hills where you'd stay drinking into the morning, crash, then wake up and start again.

If you're walking down a main strip at 2:15 with your mates cause you're in town for 3 days from somewhere overseas and can't find anyone to get you a beer... well... there goes your vacation!
Yes THANK YOU.
Someone finnally gets it. ASHER ROTH STYLE -.- LOL

Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I'll never understand why this matters so much to people. Honestly who needs to be out later than 2:30.

Both cities have amazing night life scenes. The fact that bars close at a normal time doesn't change that.
While the idea of being able to get up and go get a drink at 4am(I've done it at home in NYC) is comforting...it's not really that big of a deal for people because nobody is out until 6am the next morning EVERY night.. Also as someone mentioned I'm sure there are tons of spots not including after hour spots open in Philly pass 2:30am.. From a personal expierence I've been out pass 3am and South St alone is still poppin(This was back in March)

I've never been to SF so I can't speak from a personal expierence however I'm sure it's top notch with a lot of great clubs/bars.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
eh i mean i'm not against bars being able to be open later than 2. and when i am in dc or nyc i do tend to stay out later. but it's just not a very big deal to me. certainly not a big enough deal to act like a city's nightlife is awful just because the bars close at 2.
i'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. i can't stay out past 10 pm anymore

like sir green said, its not like i'm staying out til 4-5 am every night. but it would be nice to know that i can if i wanted to

Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 PM

191 posts, read 214,863 times
Ive been to SF before and its good for nightlife,but for some reason the people seem less fun no offense. People seemed to be a little bit bland and uninteresting. Compared to philadelphia where everyone seemed to be having funs, making friends, and had a smile on there faces. People in SF seemed sad depressed, and always trying to be someone there not. when I was in this club, it was filled with a bunch of disrespectful obnoxious yuppies. I had this experience in philly to but there was always brotherly love in the club nextdoor.

SF - Walk in the club looking for friends
Philly - EVERYONES YOUR FRIEND

Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
While the idea of being able to get up and go get a drink at 4am(I've done it at home in NYC) is comforting...it's not really that big of a deal for people because nobody is out until 6am the next morning EVERY night.. Also as someone mentioned I'm sure there are tons of spots not including after hour spots open in Philly pass 2:30am.. From a personal expierence I've been out pass 3am and South St alone is still poppin(This was back in March)

I've never been to SF so I can't speak from a personal expierence however I'm sure it's top notch with a lot of great clubs/bars.
Yeah, SF has some great bars but they are way more strict, probably as a result of our somewhat-mercurial zoning/permitting/regulatory practices. The only way to stay past 2am in most spots is if you know someone who works there and they're keeping you in past closing, while they clean up and close their till... and that's really more hanging out than partying.

SF is still a really fun town and yeah, it has some killer bars and a great scene in general. But it's pretty strict about that 2am cutoff :/

Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, SF has some great bars but they are way more strict, probably as a result of our somewhat-mercurial zoning/permitting/regulatory practices. The only way to stay past 2am in most spots is if you know someone who works there and they're keeping you in past closing, while they clean up and close their till... and that's really more hanging out than partying.

SF is still a really fun town and yeah, it has some killer bars and a great scene in general. But it's pretty strict about that 2am cutoff :/
Oh wow, I didnt know all of that Well when I make my visit I'll be sure to get there early! Lol I'm sure it's still a good time though

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Oh wow, I didnt know all of that Well when I make my visit I'll be sure to get there early! Lol I'm sure it's still a good time though
Yeah, at one spot where a friend was working, they last-called at 1.45 and the lights came on, and I was sitting at the bar with a fresh glass of Death and Taxes at 1.55 when suddenly, the bouncer grabs my shoulder and goes, "time to go home, bro." I knew the bartender and was walking home with her and a few of our friends.

I guess the trick is to get started early.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i'm not stuck in anything. i'm telling it like it is. a dude at a lounge maybe once or twice for his girl isn't that bad, but beyond that, to be blunt, it's just gay. dudes who go to a lounge is almost as bad as two dudes riding a motorcycle together.

whether the bar is a strict bar or half grill doesn't mean anything. the people who went to a strict bar are now going to a bar/grill.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It's almost laughable.

Lounges in Las Vegas are where some of hte highest rollers drop coin. Same in LA.

Bar/grills are some of the nices restaurants and bars in Chicago and Los Angeles. Check out Hub51 in Chicago online or the Library Bar in LA.

I'm not sure you have ever been to a lounge in a major city as the women flock there.

You either need to get out more or stop the act.

I don't know where you live but I do know the Deep South might be different from the rest of the country in this regard. There might be a lot more "corner" taverns/pubs that cater to Southern men and women are looked at as mere objects there versus a lounge which might be considered less masculine.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It's almost laughable.

Lounges in Las Vegas are where some of hte highest rollers drop coin. Same in LA.

Bar/grills are some of the nices restaurants and bars in Chicago and Los Angeles. Check out Hub51 in Chicago online or the Library Bar in LA.

I'm not sure you have ever been to a lounge in a major city as the women flock there.

You either need to get out more or stop the act.

I don't know where you live but I do know the Deep South might be different from the rest of the country in this regard. There might be a lot more "corner" taverns/pubs that cater to Southern men and women are looked at as mere objects there versus a lounge which might be considered less masculine.
I would consider Atlanta the deep South and there are plenty of Lounges here that are really poppin and loaded with gorgeous women. I don't know where he's from to be so anti lounge. Maybe he's more the frat boy type that's strictly into bars. They tend not to fit into a Lounge type atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City