Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,977 times

Advertisements

What state/municipality has the toughest DUI laws in the country? I understand some states have a mandatory jail clause in which first offenders are quickly released anyway. Do any states have truely mandatory jail time for DUI even if there was no criminal record?

Also, which state/municipality has the lowest minimum BAC in which someone could be arrested for? What is the general norm for arrest...I know someone that got arrested for a BAC of .075...it was rounded up...that is why I am interested in this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,815,498 times
Colorado has DWAI driving while ablility impaired at .05 percent..not sure of the penalties for first time offenders..Colorado is tough though on drinking and driving..Don't do it...

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM

159 posts, read 532,205 times
Virginia's really hard on drunk driving. We also have a "Click It or Ticket" campaign.

Virginia's really just tough on driving laws all together.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:45 AM

475 posts, read 685,444 times
Georgia's DUI laws became much more harsh on July 1, 2008. I believe 2nd-time offenders have to do, in addition to other things, 17 weeks worth of classes (substance abuse type classes). Jail time is also mandatory for both 1st and 2nd time offenders.

From Georgia DUI - Georgia Drunk Driving Laws

1st time offenders:

Basic Consequences for First Time Offenders
If you are arrested for your first Georgia DUI offense, or your first offense within five years, you can expect to face the following consequences:
  • Between $300 and $1000 in fines
  • Jail time between 10 days to 1 year
  • Community service requirement of 40 hours
  • DUI school requirement
The jail time can be reduced to 24 hours under some circumstances. If you are arrested for your second or third offense within five years, these consequences will be much more strict.

License Suspensions for Georgia DUI
In addition to the monetary consequences, being arrested for a Georgia DUI will result in a license suspension. The license suspension times are as follows:
  • First offenders: 1 year
  • Second offenders: 3 years
  • Third offenders: 5 years
If you complete DUI school, you can get a probationary license that will allow you some driving freedom before finishing the suspension period. However, you must complete the assessment and counseling successfully, and you will be required to have an ignition interlock device on your car when you get probationary license. For second and third convictions you will also have to surrender your license plates for all of the vehicles you own until you have your license back.

Insurance Consequences
Besides having your license taken away and facing steep fines, you will also find that it is difficult to get car insurance after a Georgia DUI arrest. In fact, your current insurance company may drop your coverage altogether. If you are allowed to keep your insurance policy, your rates will go up. If you are dropped, you will find that other insurance providers are hesitant to take you on as a new customer.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
Virginia's really hard on drunk driving. We also have a "Click It or Ticket" campaign.

Virginia's really just tough on driving laws all together.
Virginia has a lot of strict rules, as they should! Drunk driving is very serious and is a major crime.

Radar detectors are not allowed though.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,889,255 times
I dunno, I know plenty of people with multiple DUIs. Not a good thing, but they are about as lenient as they can get in Idaho.

As tough as some states are (I've heard DC is the toughest) they are nothing compared to Europe, last I heard you lose your license in Germany on a first offense.

DUIs are treated very lightly here no matter where you are, yet marijuana is treated like crack in a lot of places.

Are our priorities out of place here?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
DWI's are very common here also, New Mexicans love to drink and drive, the laws are getting stricter now after people with 10-20 DWI's just keep getting busted, and that is not a joke, the news even did a story about how many DWI's some New Mexicans had, its surprising that after that many DWI's they are still driving around drunk.

Now they tow your car,fine you good, make you install a interlock device where you have to blow into it before you can start your car. They are starting to fine the business that sold the alcohol to someone that caused a wreck.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
You're comparing areas vs laws in those areas, so this is being moved to the more appropriate room.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 PM

149 posts, read 412,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I dunno, I know plenty of people with multiple DUIs. Not a good thing, but they are about as lenient as they can get in Idaho.

As tough as some states are (I've heard DC is the toughest) they are nothing compared to Europe, last I heard you lose your license in Germany on a first offense.

DUIs are treated very lightly here no matter where you are, yet marijuana is treated like crack in a lot of places.

Are our priorities out of place here?

WAAAAY outta place

Old 05-10-2009, 11:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,943,229 times
I'd say CA is up there...... I remember a while ago there was a big announcement about how a fatality caused by a DUI can result in a murder charge..... most other states it's only involuntary manslaughter at most....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City