Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs. St. Louis
Milwaukee 39 52.00%
St. Louis 36 48.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:56 AM

381 posts, read 861,744 times

Advertisements

These cities seem similar in certain ways to me, although maybe I'm totally off base there. Anyway, both are places I'd like to visit.

How do you think these two cities compare in the following categories?

- Bar scene
- Restaurants
- Downtown
- Neighborhoods
- Vibrancy
- Public Transportation
- Walkability
- Architecture
- Weather
- Cost of living
- General Quality of Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
I'll take Milwaukee, since I find that living in Wisconsin is preferable to living in Missouri...

Milwaukee has better weather, and is closer to attractive cities such as Madison, WI and Chicago...

Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
I have found Milwaukee's bar scene to be far superior to the scene in St. Louis. I also prefer downtown Milwaukee over downtown St. Louis. I am not sure if Milwaukee's Third Ward really counts as downtown Milwaukee, but it is a fun area. The Milwaukee Public Market is fantastic. Milwaukee's setting along Lake Michigan and what they are doing along the river is preferred over STL and the Mississippi River, though it is an impressive river. The arch doesn't do anything for me.

As far as neighborhoods, I think Lafayette Square in STL is the best neighborhood between the two cities. Overall, I prefer Milwaukee's east side to the neighborhoods in Saint Louis.

As far as weather, it is a tie. The humidity in St. Louis is awful; but let's be honest, Milwaukee's winter is not ideal. It is a matter of preference; I prefer some moderation.

The public transit in St. Louis is decent enough. I have never attempted to use Milwaukee's, but I think it all bus and no rail.

If someone were asking me to choose one of those places to relocate, I would take Milwaukee without hesitation.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have found Milwaukee's bar scene to be far superior to the scene in St. Louis. I also prefer downtown Milwaukee over downtown St. Louis. I am not sure if Milwaukee's Third Ward really counts as downtown Milwaukee, but it is a fun area. The Milwaukee Public Market is fantastic. Milwaukee's setting along Lake Michigan and what they are doing along the river is preferred over STL and the Mississippi River, though it is an impressive river. The arch doesn't do anything for me.

As far as neighborhoods, I think Lafayette Square in STL is the best neighborhood between the two cities. Overall, I prefer Milwaukee's east side to the neighborhoods in Saint Louis.

As far as weather, it is a tie. The humidity in St. Louis is awful; but let's be honest, Milwaukee's winter is not ideal. It is a matter of preference; I prefer some moderation.

The public transit in St. Louis is decent enough. I have never attempted to use Milwaukee's, but I think it all bus and no rail.

If someone were asking me to choose one of those places to relocate, I would take Milwaukee without hesitation.
Great answers. How about architecture and walkability, though?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
saint louis wins in architecture and walkability in a landslide. it's much older, more dense and the brick makes for a very attractive urban landscape.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
St. Louis is an awesome place to go!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
St. Louis is an awesome place to go!
How does it compare to Milwaukee in the categories specified, though?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Maybe Im just difficult to impress, but Saint Louis has no appeal for me, except for the zoo and museums which are grade A+. There is a reason why the cost of living is so inexpensive in Saint Louis...

Can't comment on Milwaukee since I have never been there. But it does seem like a place I would like to visit.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Maybe Im just difficult to impress, but Saint Louis has no appeal for me, except for the zoo and museums which are grade A+. There is a reason why the cost of living is so inexpensive in Saint Louis...

Can't comment on Milwaukee since I have never been there. But it does seem like a place I would like to visit.
the reason the cost of living is relatively low in st. louis is because it is in the midwest. st. louis is about average for major midwestern cities/metros. milwaukee is probably even less expensive since it's so much smaller than st. louis, although i don't know for sure.

milwaukee: 1.7 million metro
st. louis: 2.9 million metro

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM

292 posts, read 752,315 times
I actually think Milwaukee wins in most of these categories. Not architecture, and probably not walkability (although Milwaukee is no slouch there) - but it has a more fun spirit, much better bars, more vibrant downtown, IMO.

St. Louis has more iconic neighborhoods but Milwaukee's have a better feel. Both have strong neighborhood identities. In general, St. Louis somehow feels a little depressed to me. It's a great historic city, but the times I've been there, there was just a general negativity in the air. Of course, I'm no expert and that's a very limited subjective opinion that could be completely different than your experience. But in my experience, Milwaukee is just a more fun-loving town - and that translates into more vibrant, better bars (not mention more quantity) and a better general quality of life.

That said, St. Louis has some incredible architecture and certain areas are very walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City