Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 AM

104 posts, read 282,936 times

Advertisements

These are the places that I am interested and have heard are nice but still contemplating! Convince me why your city (if on list) is the best!

Seattle, Wa- Safe, Educated, Family Friendly but might be way too much Rain!!! Other than that seems like a great city. Oh yeah and the rent is a little high but do-able.

Portland, Or- Safe, Family Friendly, Notable on many top 10's places to live, but yet I have already lived there! I want to go on an adventure. Great city though.

San Francisco- Safe (kind of), Family Friendly, Educated, Entertainment, Tourist, Notable on many top 10's but yet the rent is way to high! I am afraid to move there and I will not be able to afford the rent. And I can not find any place even close to SF that is affordable and safe. SF has culture and is quite diverse in many aspects.

San Jose, CA- Another great notable top 10, Safe, Educated, Recreation and Entertainment, but the cost of living! Wow, I don't feel comfortable trying to move there, yet there is nearly 1 million people living there that are affording the rent, So why am I hesitant.

San Diego, CA- Also great and has many amazing features! but yet has a high rent prices and high cost of living.

Las Vegas, NV- Ok, So this is kind of a random city but it does have it's notable aspects. Entertainment, I am just afraid it might not be my type of entertainment. I am not a gambler and am not really interested in that area of recreation but it is Vegas. It is cheaper and cost of living is lower. I am afraid though it is not what I am wanting. Beyond the Vegas strip and beyond the gambling is Vegas anything else than what it is known for?

Reno, NV- Another random city. Seems safer, really low rent prices and cost of living but might be too small of a city.

Denver, CO- This place has been notable on many categories and always positive. And I was surprised how much sun Denver gets, I thought it was freezing their, I guess I was wrong. It is notable for recreation, entertainment, arts and low rent and cost of living. It is a bigger city and is cultured. But the con is the public schooling seems not so bueno! Other than that seems like a nice city, but a little isolated.

Austin, TX- Wow, never thought I would be contemplating Texas, EVER! But as I was going through the many cities Austin kept popping up, in several categories. And it was in the top 10, but seemed more often to be number 1 on many of the categories. I couldn't just knock Austin because it is in Texas. I just am afraid of the "twang". I am accepting, it is just the whole country thing. But Austin falls in all the things I am looking for. Austin seems nearly too good to be true. Technology mecca, or the new Seattle. Cost of living is cheaper and rent. Many jobs!!!! Recreation and family friendly and their motto is "keep Austin weird" definitely something I am familiar with since Portland has the same motto. The weather is Sunny and I love sun and it is near huge cities Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and has excellent food. So am I wrong or is this city amazing.

Chicago- Ok, huge city so we know that there is entertainment, art, culture, and we get the hint. So why am I afraid of hesitant. The crime rate, in comparisons to the other cities, is high. So, besides that everything falls in place. I guess though Chi-town is somewhat isolated but I am just afraid of the crime rate!

Raleigh, NC- Is in the same category as Austin, I never contemplated this area but has fallen in many of the top 10 categories. It is growing like crazy, as is all of Carolina, and seems like a great city for families. So, is it as great as it is made out to be?

Charlotte, NC- Also another big city that has fallen in many of the top 10 categories and seems like a nice place to live. Cultured, Food, Safer, and cheaper.

Philly- I just like the idea of Philly steaks to be honest! The city seems a little dirty, from other people's perspectives, not mine. I have no idea, but it is close to NYC and is surrounded by history. Many museums and is a huge city. The crime rate is high but everything else seems good.

Pittsburgh, PA- Just threw it in here. I haven't really researched this city too much but I have seen it a few times mentioned on the top 10's, So I thought it would be interesting seeing people's opinion on this city.

Columbus, OH- It sounds nice but crime rate is high. Also another city that I haven't really researched.

NYC- Everything I love about NYC, but the rent is ridiculous. I hear that Brooklyn has affordable, but every time I search affordable has been around $1200 and that is way out of my price range. I have even looked in decent sized areas around New York and the same thing, it is either expensive or relatively cheap but seems dangerous. I have contemplated areas like Albany, Poughkeepsie, and other areas but they seem a little dangerous.

Albany, NY- Kind of a whelm but I though I would throw it in. Cheaper but crime rate seems high. I like the location though, since it is close to NYC.

Syracuse, NY- Great place for families, friendly, cheap housing and rent, good schooling but the SNOW!!!

Nashau, NH- Everything about it seems great. Except may be a little to expensive and is small but it is close to Boston.

Boston, MA- Great place, family friendly, educated, amazing schools, recreation, entertainment but expensive.

Providence, RI- Culture Mecca, recreation, educated but seems expensive and public schools are going down hill, FAST!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Really?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
Denver is up there...but where is houston.???!!!

Also, Denver has great Schools.! Where did you get your info from.?!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 AM

635 posts, read 1,510,379 times
Atlanta? Where is it? And charlotte is in south carolina

Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 AM

153 posts, read 416,732 times
You need to add Miami.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 AM

80 posts, read 303,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
And charlotte is in south carolina

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Minneapoilis isn't on it even though you value size, education, crime, entertainment, QOL and COL. Maybe you don't like the winters???

"Chicago is isolated"?? Hahaha, compared to WHERE?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Atlanta? Where is it? And charlotte is in south carolina
Part of the msa is in south carolina. The city is in North Carolina!

Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Denver Schools - Denver Colorado School Ratings - Public and Private and a few other articles also were relevant with this rating. Denver got 3/10, which most cities only got a rating of 6/10 or 7/10.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Charlotte is in NC! Come on now. Maybe you are thinking of Charleston. Anyways, Houston is ridiculous with it's crime rating, and Atlanta really isn't mentioned in many top 10 list's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City