Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
HA! ??????
You kidding????
Let's talk about the 2002 Human Right's Ordinance vote. The ONLY demographic that voted to repeal the Human Right's ordinance for gays was the Latin vote. And, as you know, most of the Latin vote in Miami is Cuban because they have special rights that allow them a quicker legal path to citizenship. Hialeah, a highly Cuban city, is one of the most conservative cities in the nation, not just Florida. It's conservative by almost every (if not all) measures. The second repeal attempt of the Human Rights' ordinance for gay people was fueled by a largely Cuban Catholic effort.

I will say that the younger Cuban generation is rapidly changing its perceptions politically and will supplant their parents and grandparents soon. But, the fact remains that the Cuban community in Miami continues to support very conservative candidates with very conservative social viewpoints.

As to the original question posed in this thread, I think the Durham/Chapel Hill metro has to be among the most liberal areas in the South due to its smallish size and the dominance that UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University have over the culture. At ~1.8 million, The combined Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA is also among the most liberal "larger" metro areas in the country.
When you factor in the overwhelmingly Cuban vote, how does Miami continue to go blue in elections? What demographic in Miami caries the blue vote? Blacks are the minority to Latinos in Dade County. I guess it's the Liberal Miami Beach crowd? Are whites in Miami-Dade Liberal leaning? I've always thought so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
When you factor in the overwhelmingly Cuban vote, how does Miami continue to go blue in elections? What demographic in Miami caries the blue vote? Blacks are the minority to Latinos in Dade County. I guess it's the Liberal Miami Beach crowd? Are whites in Miami-Dade Liberal leaning? I've always thought so.
Very good question. Let me see if I can give you my perspective/answer.

The thing to remember is that non-citizens can't vote and there's a huge number/percentage of non-citizen Latin-Americans in Miami. Interestingly, the latins that can't vote are typically more liberal than the ones that can.

While non-Latin whites and African Americans are clearly in the minority of total population in Miami-Dade, their percentage of the voting population is considerably higher. Among non-Latin white voters, I'd say that they are clearly liberal leaning as a group in voting patterns. The same is true for the African American community. The communities along the water on either the mainland or barrier islands are overwhelmingly "blue" voters from the Northeasterner and Jewish retirees in Aventura all the way to party crowd and gays in Southbeach. Miami proper is also very blue in its densely populated 36 square miles. South Dade County and the older Cuban suburban enclaves make up the majority of the conservative vote in the county.

As time marches on, you'll probably see the county get bluer as non-Cuban Latin Americans attain citizenship. Additionally, younger American born Cuban-Americans, who don't typically shape the political beliefs on the same experiences of their parents and grandparents, will also continue to trend more liberal.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
WOW rnc2mbfl - Several excellent posts in a row. You nailed it on both Miami & RDU.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
WOW rnc2mbfl - Several excellent posts in a row. You nailed it on both Miami & RDU.
Thanks John. To clarify one of my posts, I meant to say that the greater Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA) is among the most liberal larger metros in the South, not the nation. While it's more on the progressive side, it's certainly not among the most liberal in the nation. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Very good question. Let me see if I can give you my perspective/answer.

The thing to remember is that non-citizens can't vote and there's a huge number/percentage of non-citizen Latin-Americans in Miami. Interestingly, the latins that can't vote are typically more liberal than the ones that can.

While non-Latin whites and African Americans are clearly in the minority of total population in Miami-Dade, their percentage of the voting population is considerably higher. Among non-Latin white voters, I'd say that they are clearly liberal leaning as a group in voting patterns. The same is true for the African American community. The communities along the water on either the mainland or barrier islands are overwhelmingly "blue" voters from the Northeasterner and Jewish retirees in Aventura all the way to party crowd and gays in Southbeach. Miami proper is also very blue in its densely populated 36 square miles. South Dade County and the older Cuban suburban enclaves make up the majority of the conservative vote in the county.

As time marches on, you'll probably see the county get bluer as non-Cuban Latin Americans attain citizenship. Additionally, younger American born Cuban-Americans, who don't typically shape the political beliefs on the same experiences of their parents and grandparents, will also continue to trend more liberal.
Pretty much what I thought. I forgot about the White Northeastern and Jewish votes along the coastal communities.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,279 times
Austin is a pretty liberal town. Definitely more liberal in comparison to the rest of Texas. Any city with a university is going to be pretty liberal.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormick spice View Post
Austin is a pretty liberal town. Definitely more liberal in comparison to the rest of Texas. Any city with a university is going to be pretty liberal.
no, that is not definitely. Austin city is no more liberal than inner loop houston.

and that is ridiculous about any city having a university is going to be liberal. some of the more conservative cities HAVE universities.

you act like UT is the only uni in Texas

Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
no, that is not definitely. Austin city is no more liberal than inner loop houston.

and that is ridiculous about any city having a university is going to be liberal. some of the more conservative cities HAVE universities.

you act like UT is the only uni in Texas
Agreed. Knoxville, home of the original UT , is most definitely not a liberal city by any stretch of the imagination. While the city is more libertarian than anything else, the Knoxville MSA is overwhelmingly conservative.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Agreed. Knoxville, home of the original UT , is most definitely not a liberal city by any stretch of the imagination. While the city is more libertarian than anything else, the Knoxville MSA is overwhelmingly conservative.
there are schools in Texas just as large as UT that are NOT in liberal areas.

University of FLorida, Arizona State, Texas A&M, Liberty University (Jerry Falwell's pet project), Brigham Young, etc are all schools as large as UT that are NOT in liberal areas

Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormick spice View Post
You must be new here. I should have warned you for saying Austin is Liberal, people here don't take too kindly to that phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City