Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I'm from Dallas, and everyone I know talks this way (or with that accent at least). The only people I hear with a southern/Texas accent around town tend to be older people.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of the people who grew up in the DFW within the last 25 years have been the children of transplants - we grew up without a lot of the traditional Texan/southern accent. My dad is from North Carolina and my mom is from Mexico, so I certainly didn't get a whole lot of the traditional Texas accent growing up. I imagine this is true of many places in the south that have seen rapid increases in population.

Edit: I'm from suburban Dallas, so my observations might deal with suburban DFW than some of the older, more established neighbourhoods.
Yeah, her talk isn't unusual for a Texan; you have those with Texan accents and than those with a more neutral accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually much of the NYC and Philly metro; especially further away suburbs would sound more like this - the overall American accent is becoming much more generic. Boston however and the metro seem to retain a stronger accent than do the two other cities mentioned away from the core now there are definately parts of NYC/North jersey and Philly that have strong accents but outside of key words many today are becoming more generic
Maybe there's a normalizing effect from all the TV and movies and other media we get these days. In the absence of a strong local accent, the generic American media accent takes precedence. Seems feasible.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
You can't have a neutral accent. A person from the UK would find the Omaha accent very distinct. We all have accents. If you mean which cities have accents that sound the least like the Midwest accent, then that might make more sense.
That's not totally true. There is a neutral accent- major national news networks actually want people to speak with a "Neutral American" accent. The people they do get who have various accents are coached to speak with as neutral of an accent as possible.
That neutral accent is what you find on much of the west coast and central states (Nebraska and Iowa, for example).

Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM

164 posts, read 256,861 times
Is the so-called "neutral" accent in itself an accent?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I have a friend from Miami and he kinda reminds me of a New Yorker but yeah distinct accent in Miami. Not everyone from Miami has the accent though.
Well not everyone in one city has an accent. But the ones that do, have an accent

Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This girl named Sidney is from the Oxygen Network reality show "The Bad Girls Club" and is from Dallas, TX

YouTube - ‪Bad Girls Club 6 - Casting Sydney‬‏

To me her accent doesn't sound southern at all. To me it sounds neutral/urban. I didn't know that there were people from Dallas who talked like this.
I can still hear some Texan in there.

Our state has ALOT of transplants in urban areas and sometimes, you get different accents. But in this case, this is just another type of Texas accent.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I can still hear some Texan in there.

Our state has ALOT of transplants in urban areas and sometimes, you get different accents. But in this case, this is just another type of Texas accent.
Where do you hear the Texan accent? Just listened again and I'm having trouble placing any, but it could just be that I'm not the best judge, what with having the same accent and all.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,353 times
Okay, there is definitely a Miami accent. You can notice it the most in younger people, under 30. It sounds Spanish-influenced at first, but you can also hear it in people that don't speak Spanish, so it is just a Miami accent. It does vary, but you can hear some characteristics, such as drawing out vowels. Here are some pretty good examples I found.

YouTube - ‪LUCY LOPEZ meets LUPE FIASCO‬‏

Pitbull, not George Lopez xD

YouTube - ‪Lopez Tonight - Pitbull Interview - Who Is Pitbull?‬‏

Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Wow, I would really have to throw up if I dealt with that on a daily basis. Southern accents are unappealing to my ears with very few exceptions.
Yes. I, too, have a problem with those accents. Not so much now as years ago. The basis for what people take as a black accent in this county is southern. They sometimes live in ghettos and just keep on talking that way. It is very limiting because often, if you mispronounce a word, you spell it incorrectly as well and people don't think you're very bright. I dislike NY and NJ accents as well. I kind of prefer the media 'neutral' accent, but just wish some people in the media would learn to pronounce words properly.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-21-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Where do you hear the Texan accent? Just listened again and I'm having trouble placing any, but it could just be that I'm not the best judge, what with having the same accent and all.
Listen to the words with 'a' and 'i' in them, listen to here say 'care'.... trust me, it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City