Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM

520 posts, read 730,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Any city in Colorado. Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Pueblo, etc. There's nothing distinct about the way people speak...I think sometimes people define it as "mid-American". Boring!
I kind of agree, but theres alot of transplants from all over the country living in Colorado, so you hear alot of different accents. But people I've meet here that are actual natives don't seem to have any distinct accent. Im from Northeast Ohio and they think I have a southern accent out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The black population in the DMV has a very distinct accent.

Maryland is Murland
Area is Urea
Berry is Burry
Everybody is Urybody
Here is Heea
Regardless is Regawdluss
Wow, I would really have to throw up if I dealt with that on a daily basis. Southern accents are unappealing to my ears with very few exceptions.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:04 PM

316 posts, read 559,895 times
-Miami.
-Seattle.
-Portland (Oregon).
-Denver.
-Des Moines.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Boy how can you not hear the accent??? It's pretty strong too. She sounds like an average black dallasite.
This girl named Sidney is from the Oxygen Network reality show "The Bad Girls Club" and is from Dallas, TX

YouTube - ‪Bad Girls Club 6 - Casting Sydney‬‏

To me her accent doesn't sound southern at all. To me it sounds neutral/urban. I didn't know that there were people from Dallas who talked like this.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,353 times
You can't have a neutral accent. A person from the UK would find the Omaha accent very distinct. We all have accents. If you mean which cities have accents that sound the least like the Midwest accent, then that might make more sense.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:58 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Yeah overall DC has no distinct accent outside of the black population.
Not true at all. I went to school in D.C. and the a lot of local born residents have a slight drawl, even some from Maryland. The whole Mason- Dixon Line is like that and even up through the Ohio River Valley. If you go a couple hours south of Chicago further down state or in Indiana it is noticable there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Cities that are full of people from somewhere else IE west coast cities. The more people from different places moving in and out of your city all the time the harder it will be to develop a distinct accent.
California has some very distinct accents. Pac NW not so much...

Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
-Miami.
-Seattle.
-Portland (Oregon).
-Denver.
-Des Moines.
This list is fairly accurate in my experience. Except I don't know how Miami would NOT have an accent....

Some places where people don't think they have an accent, but do:

Columbus
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
D.C.
Pittsburgh

Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
It's called a "broadcaster" accent, and it is most common in the central plains, pacific northwest, and most parts of California. Chicago is part of the equation, but on occasion you will hear that midwest twang sneak in, even in the loop.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM

141 posts, read 381,666 times
^Whaaaaat? Chicago has a very distinct accent. Not even like a twangy kinda accent, but like a "daaaa Bears" kinda accent.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:17 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
-Miami.
-Seattle.
-Portland (Oregon).
-Denver.
-Des Moines.
Miami does indeed have a distinct accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City