Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
The Empire State (NY) 109 30.11%
The Golden State (CA) 253 69.89%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Weather- California by 10,000 miles, lol

Quality of life- depends

Traffic- I'm gonna say California probably has worse traffic overall

Restaurants/Food and Shopping- Both are great, probably best in the US, but NY takes this solely because of NYC

Career Opportunities- tie.

ML Sports- I'm a NY fan, so I prefer NY, but that's my bias. California has more cities with ML sports

Scenery- Upstate NY is pretty, but California is probably one of the most beautiful places in the world

Cleanliness- I think both states are pretty clean outside the big cities

Entertainment- tossup

Singles Scene- tossup

Cost of living- overall probably NY, outside of NYC and LI

Crime- depends where you are

Location within the United States- Depends. I personally like California's location better for the scenery, climate, and proximity to Mexico and Vegas

Residents- I'm ignoring this one lol

Which is your personal Paradise?- I live in NYC and I love it. I'm a city person and no other city in the US would be good enough for me. But I also love Warm weather + beaches, and I love to surf. I'm grateful to have beaches and good surf spots in NY, but California has it better in that category. And I hate winter, but I put up with it for NYC. I wouldn't for anywhere else.
Also, the only reason I love NY is because of NYC. I don't really care too much for the rest of the state TBH. A lot of these categories I gave to NY only because of NYC. I think that's the only thing that makes this a competitive comparison. Outside of NYC, the rest of the state could not compete against CA. But one thing I think NY State does better than CA is nightlife. Nightlife is also very important to me, and CA last call is way too early.

So I prefer NY just because of NYC. Excluding NYC, California wins easily. As far as OPs criteria goes, my vote goes to California
Downtown San Jose would be good for you for sure! All the urban trappings with good weather. Everything you want: concerts, live music, art, theaters, restaurants, clubs, transportation, museums, parks, Whole foods/Trader Joes and etc. in a 10 block area. Check out Cafe' Stritch, SP2 and Level 44, awesome scene!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
NY is clearly more better and most superiorest, but if you like sprawl, CA wins in a landslide, hands down.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:49 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
NY is clearly more better...
Not according to this poll.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:52 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
I spent nearly a week in Manhattan and over a week in Los Angeles.

In Manhattan my hotel was in midtown, in Los Angeles it was in Anaheim.

In Manhattan I walked everywhere. In Los Angeles I had to take the freeway to get to the grocery store.

Love both cities but I wouldn't dismiss "living on top of eachother" as purely negative.

The best way I would describe Los Angeles is happening and wealthy hubs (i.e. Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Downtown etc...) separated by freeways, and those areas in between the hubs are usually poor and unkept.
If you stayed in Anaheim, you weren't in Los Angeles. Anaheim isn't in Los Angeles County.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Not according to this poll.
After the prez election, we now know polls are no good. Plus it's rigged. Plus you have to adjust based on time zone, altitude, electromagnetic field, & UV variations.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Coming from someone who lived in New York my entire life, but visited family annually in California (Newport Beach/LA)

Weather- California no contest. Unless you prefer sticky summers, frigid winters, and horrible allergy seasons. Fall in New York is perfect though.

Quality of life- Depends on how much money you have. Your money probably goes further overall in California though (except for upstate NY, but that part of the state isn't very desirable outside of Buffalo or Albany)

Traffic-New York takes the edge here. Obviously traffic is an issue when you cram 11 million people in a small metro area, but the public transportation helps a lot. LA and SD both have horrible horrible traffic and pretty crappy metro systems too in my opinion.

Restaurants/Food and Shopping-Tied on shopping. Food depending on culture (NY has amazing Italian, Cuban and Street food, while CA has great mexican, chinese, and korean bbq!)

Career Opportunities- Depending on the field. Finance/Business NY takes the lead, Tech opportunities or acting CA has the lead. Careers are abundant in both states though.

ML Sports- New York

Scenery- California by far imo. NYC does have a great skyline, parts of the outer boroughs, central park, Long Island, and upstate are pretty, but nothing compares to the mountains, palm trees, and dramatic cliffs and redwoods in California. To me California is by far the most geographically diverse state, making it one of the most beautiful.

Cleanliness- Probably California

Entertainment-Tie. Both states are very diverse in this field

Singles Scene-Tie. However it is hard for young single people to afford living in NYC (being specific to NYC because what single person would want to move to middle-of-nowhere upstate or suburban LI), therefore driving a lot of young people out. The nightlife is great in both states though.

Cost of living-California takes a slight edge here. NY property taxes are the main killer, but rent, housing prices and car insurance costs are also out of control. Sadly New York is losing a lot of its population to states like FL, AZ, TX and surprisingly CA due to the high cost of living here. However, parts of CA, especially on the coast, are very expensive too.

Crime- Depends. Southampton on Long Island is obviously going to be safer than South Central LA, same with Brownsville Brooklyn vs Malibu. Probably a tie though.

Location within the United States-New York (access to Europe, DC, FL, Canada, etc.) However CA has better access to Hawaii, Mexico and Texas.

Residents- New York. I've always loved the attitudes of my fellow New Yorkers (not taking ****, being blunt, pride in our city)

Anything else you'd like to add- In general, both are great places to live. I've lived in New York my whole live and I consider it to be a great place to raise a family/grow up, but living here on a small paycheck will be HELL.

Which is your personal Paradise? Honestly neither, because high costs of living driving me up the wall and traffic arent my definition of paradise, but it's worth it in NY when you come home to a great slice of Long Island pizza and some Ralphs Italian Ices Also I love Long Island beaches during the summer, and Jones Beach concerts.

Overall, both are great states. But since New York is my home state, I guess it has my vote
New York City has tons of that these days. In fact, New York City has at least three Chinatowns.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
While I think that NY is an above average looking state, it isn't even in the same league as California for natural beauty because of the size and diversity of CA. Only Alaska can seriously compete in my opinion for beauty. I also don't think that NY can rely on the city alone to beat California, since Californian isn't just LA, it has San Diego, San Francisco etc. NYC might beat them individually but not as a whole.

Economically California is much bigger than NY although along with Texas they are on a completely different level. CA has a GDP of over 2.4 trillion to NY 1.4.

I think a closer comparison would be NY and TX. Knowing CD, I'm sure NY would win that poll, but I think that is a better comparison than California.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:36 AM

65 posts, read 55,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
After the prez election, we now know polls are no good. Plus it's rigged. Plus you have to adjust based on time zone, altitude, electromagnetic field, & UV variations.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 AM

65 posts, read 55,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
While I think that NY is an above average looking state, it isn't even in the same league as California for natural beauty because of the size and diversity of CA. Only Alaska can seriously compete in my opinion for beauty. I also don't think that NY can rely on the city alone to beat California, since Californian isn't just LA, it has San Diego, San Francisco etc. NYC might beat them individually but not as a whole.

Economically California is much bigger than NY although along with Texas they are on a completely different level. CA has a GDP of over 2.4 trillion to NY 1.4.

I think a closer comparison would be NY and TX. Knowing CD, I'm sure NY would win that poll, but I think that is a better comparison than California.
No state alone can rival California. It would make more sense for people to compare California to countries instead of other states. Being that it would have the 6th largest economy in the world if it were its own nation. & agreed about the CD comment. I was actually expecting more people to vote for NY knowing CD lol.. A lot of NY/Chi/Philly boosters.

But also something to point out is that NYS is kind of a "One Hit Wonder" so to speak because of NYC. What other city in NYS can compete with even California's 4th/5th/6th city let alone SF & SD. Buffalo? Albany? Considering of course LA & NYC mark eachother out. SF vs Buffalo? Lol don't think so. If you did a region comparison of the Northeast vs California; Maybe LA vs NYC? SF vs Boston/Philly? SD, San Jose, Oakland, Sac, etc. The fact that California alone can compare to the whole Northeast is just mind-boggling

Old 12-03-2016, 11:17 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Candy View Post
No state alone can rival California. It would make more sense for people to compare California to countries instead of other states. Being that it would have the 6th largest economy in the world if it were its own nation. & agreed about the CD comment. I was actually expecting more people to vote for NY knowing CD lol.. A lot of NY/Chi/Philly boosters.

But also something to point out is that NYS is kind of a "One Hit Wonder" so to speak because of NYC. What other city in NYS can compete with even California's 4th/5th/6th city let alone SF & SD. Buffalo? Albany? Considering of course LA & NYC mark eachother out. SF vs Buffalo? Lol don't think so. If you did a region comparison of the Northeast vs California; Maybe LA vs NYC? SF vs Boston/Philly? SD, San Jose, Oakland, Sac, etc. The fact that California alone can compare to the whole Northeast is just mind-boggling
One could argue that NYC alone rivals every big city in California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City