Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 AM

287 posts, read 546,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes good to see a global forum back in the states, the last three were in Seoul, Beijing, and Dubai.

YouTube - ‪Experience the Executive MBA Program at Wharton in Philadelphia and San Francisco‬‏

Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

So are you suggesting the Wharton SF is the equal of Wharton in Philly? Am just curious. One thing is either way you recieve the same degree I believe which references the Commonwealth of PA

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
"Bay Area Bay Area Bay Area Bay Area" posters saying Princeton shouldn't be counted for Philly is probably the most ironic thing I have seen on city-data.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
What can I say my man, I told him to knock it off. He continued. What can I do? I'm not a mod.

Honestly the person in question is obviously a troll, if not he's at least someone not smart enough to not fall into the trapings of acting like one. Continuing to reprimand him obviously wouldn't work and would only further derail the discussion in this thread. You seemed more reasonable and so I appealed to you. Obviously that didn't work either.
It did work, as I followed through and now have him on ignore. But if others follow his lead by leaving a bunch of immature slights on here then they will also provoke me. Just as you're level of maturity has devolved when other posters have gotten under your skin. Sure I sank lower, but I was responding to people who also sank lower than anyone you were debating with.

Quote:
I have since the beginning of this thread whole heartily argued the position that while san fran has phenomenal higher educations and is one of the top cities in the country in that respect, easily top five. I just think that Philadelphia is better. Second only to Boston. I tried to show my position using facts and logic. I never attacked anyone. If that's childish? Irrational? fine. I don't see how pointing out facts and stating opinions is either of these things but fine. this has obviously derailed now anyway.
You weren't that bad at all man, but you did lower your level of maturity just like I did when something got under your skin, so you can't really fault me for doing the same. Examples:

Quote:
ben franklin is thought of as one of the most prolific and brilliant men who has ever walked the earth. Who founded stanford? Exactly.

haha well done. Someone seems to have some egg on their face.
And while spending only a month in office before dying, he may not exactly be considered a good president. He still would be viewed by most as a better pres than hoover who is often named among the worst presidents of all time.

fine then. It's yours. Stanford presidents - 1 penn presidents - 0

I doubt you'll find that helps you defend against all the facts that came after that statement. Princeton is not a reach. The area is clearly philly influenced and is just as far from philly as stanford is from san fran. If you want to drop princeton then I guess we'll drop stanford too... I don't think that would go well for you.

regardless of that. Look at all those other schools! What is san frans answer to that? They have none.

still don't hear answer to the fact that philly has about 4 times the amount of quality schools as sf has? I imagine i'll be waiting a long time for that answer.
Like I said, these really weren't that bad. But I'm just saying your level of maturity fell and you responded pettily too - your responses just weren't as bad as mine b/c you weren't dealing with someone as petty as I was. But you engaged just the same, so you are not really in a position to fault me for doing that. Doing this at all is beneath both of us, but when we're provoked we will react. That's all I'm saying. This is already kind of old news, but I just wanted to clarify since I just read this response of yours. I feel I'm being misunderstood here. And dealing with that other poster didn't help things, nor did you responding to my posts that were directed at him/her. Further confusion ensued.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Wouldn't Wharton establishing a school in San Francisco only boost Philadelphia's credibility. If Wharton is so good (it is) that they have demand to open a cross country campus near the tech industry, it obviously says a lot about the actual campus. But you guys want to claim it as your own? I do not see the logic there, many elite schools have satellite schools. Stanford is likely opening an engineering school in New York City soon, should NYC then lay claim to Stanford? No, of course not, it would only boost the merits of the Stanford brand name. I don't care about who is best, I just wanted to point out this error in posters logic.
I tend to agree with you here, but I don't think Wharton being in SF necessarily has to fall under SF claiming it for an ego boost so much as the fact that someone from SF can live here and have the option of attending either Wharton or the other schools that are located here. I don't think we should be claiming it since it is a Philly-based school. I do think it does deserve honorable mention though.

And I do understand why it is being mentioned when we're comparing the education available in these two cities, because you can't really give Philly the leg up for Wharton when it exists out here as well. I'm with you on your Stanford argument, but that is comparing an entire campus to a satellite school vs. schools that are fairly even in terms of enrollment (per Montclair's info posted earlier). The claim of origin is not SF's, but how can you really argue against noting it? It seems pretty relevant to me. It would be like if Berkeley's School of Law had a Philly campus with a comparable enrollment to the main campus IMO. Philly would have a right to mention that as well.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yes they are very similar

Wharton Philly

Wharton SF
Actually i cant find a picture of the building (yes that is singular)

But here is the welcome video for Wharton - seems like a lot of SF exposure in this one, surprised that the Wharton promo doesnt say welcome to our city in reference to SF
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
In honor of the 10th anniversary of Wharton-San Francisco
LOL oh snap! Looks like he found one!

Quote:
Yes good to see a global forum back in the states, the last three were in Seoul, Beijing, and Dubai.
Can we say "sour grapes?" Try just a little harder to be more of a hater.

Quote:
So are you suggesting the Wharton SF is the equal of Wharton in Philly? Am just curious. One thing is either way you recieve the same degree I believe which references the Commonwealth of PA
Lol oh man. Dude now you just sound bitter. And putting words in his mouth is not a good look. You shot down what he was saying by suggesting the smaller/less important/inferior/minuscule SF campus wasn't even worthy of a photo, and then he shut that down. Then you attempt to belittle what he showed, and he comes back with another one. Now you're trying to escalate this by inferring too bold a claim from his responses to you? This is pathetic.

The PA reference on the degree if anything would only validate that it is on equal footing with the Penn campus, not serve as a hurtful reminder that the school's origins are in Philly. Most people aren't this interested in bull-headed civic pride, and if someone coming from say LA or Portland wanted to attend Wharton but didn't want to leave the West Coast they now have that option. No one doing that will give a crap about whether or not the school is based in Philly, SF or Idaho. I wouldn't care.

The claim is all Philly's as it is a Philly-based school. My understanding is that the only reason it is being mentioned here - and feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding - is b/c it is more than just a regular satellite campus, is it not? I believe that is why no one is listing the satellite campuses of other schools that grapico mentioned.

From what Montclair posted earlier it seemed that enrollment in each respective campus was of a similar number. If that is truly the case, then I don't see why SF's campus shouldn't be mentioned, even though Philly is the one who truly gets the oh so highly coveted "claim" for C-D bragging rights. If SF's campus was limited and not at all able to offer students the quality of education that the Philly campus offers them, then maybe it shouldn't be mentioned. Can someone maybe shed some light on this? Because it looks to me like you're just going on the attack here now and trying to make more of Kev's posts than what he had actually said b/c he was proving your initial dismissals as BS. If the SF campus is actually truly inferior then I agree with you and grapico.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I tend to agree with you here, but I don't think Wharton being in SF necessarily has to fall under SF claiming it for an ego boost so much as the fact that someone from SF can live here and have the option of attending either Wharton or the other schools that are located here. I don't think we should be claiming it since it is a Philly-based school. I do think it does deserve honorable mention though.

And I do understand why it is being mentioned when we're comparing the education available in these two cities, because you can't really give Philly the leg up for Wharton when it exists out here as well. I'm with you on your Stanford argument, but that is comparing an entire campus to a satellite school vs. schools that are fairly even in terms of enrollment (per Montclair's info posted earlier). The claim of origin is not SF's, but how can you really argue against noting it? It seems pretty relevant to me. It would be like if Berkeley's School of Law had a Philly campus with a comparable enrollment to the main campus IMO. Philly would have a right to mention that as well.
Didnt respond to Montclair but his stats can be a little misleading in they excluded the vast majority of Wharton including Exec MBA and none of the undergrad population. I believe the ratio of Philly to SF enrollment for Wharton is somewhere around 20 to 1 on total grad students and greater than 50 to 1 on total Wharton enrollments. I also believe this excluded some of the dual majors Wharton Grad offers such as Finance/health Sciences/medicine or Law/Finance etc.

In terms of ranking and again all with a grain of salt the Financial Times once again has Wharton ranked as the number 1 in the world in 2011 tied with the London school of business after Wharton lost this to number 2 in 2010 while holding the number one world ranking from 2000-2009.

In terms of Billionaires in Finance; 90% of all come from one of three schools, Wharton, Harvard, and Columbia
Billionaire Clusters - Forbes.com

Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Wouldn't Wharton establishing a school in San Francisco only boost Philadelphia's credibility.
Not in the least.

And I most certainly will claim Wharton as part of the Bay Area's collection of schools--WHY WOULDNT I? Its located in SF and most of the matriculants are from the Bay Area.

And if New York wanted to claim Stanford's engineering school, then that's acceptable too because it would available to local engineering students living in NY.

Its not very complicated. If you have a physical campus there that serves locals and offers the exact same cirriculum as their other campus, which is the case of SF's Wharton school according to their own website.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Didnt respond to Montclair but his stats can be a little misleading in they excluded the vast majority of Wharton including Exec MBA and none of the undergrad population.
Not misleading in the least.

I could simply state that Wharton offers an Executive MBA which is true.

In fact, the enrollment is identical to Philly's Executive MBA program.

In fact, after all this looking into Wharton, Im now trying to talk my brother into getting off his duff and applying for Wharton SF.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not misleading in the least.

I could simply state that Wharton offers an Executive MBA which is true.

In fact, the enrollment is identical to Philly's Executive MBA program.

In fact, after all this looking into Wharton, Im now trying to talk my brother into getting off his duff and applying for Wharton SF.

Actually I meant you only included the exec MBA as the full time traditional Wharton MBA is only offered at the Philadelphia campus as well as the undergrad and many other Wharton grad offerings not available at the SF campus. It also appears they charge an extra 10K per year at the SF campus but at $163K or $172K per year who cares; though many in the Exec program are hand picked and funded by their prospective employers

Wharton eMBA: Compare Wharton

Based on your numbers of Wharton MBA grads from the SF campus it would be a little less than 9% of the total in any given year not including the co-majors offered as part of program with field specific specilization such as science, engineering, medicine, law etc. which brings the number down to below 5%.

In terms of your brother best wishes as Wharton, Stanford, or Berkeley if he is able to get into would all be very good and lead to many great connections.

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-26-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City