Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
65k in a city. Easy. Mobile itself may be historic and interesting, and people friendly, but God, Guns, Neo-conservatism, and NASCAR taking the place of culture and reason and diversity of thought is a bad thing.
Is this what's being taught in those big fancy cities?? If that's the case; go for Mobile. Less ignorant people and ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 PM

407 posts, read 388,726 times
The posters who mentioned India are on to something. That is a place where you can really maximize disposable income, way better than Mobile or anywhere in the U.S. If money is your primary concern, try to get a job in India or China.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Hey,before you jump on me i wasn't referring to any of your posts. Definitely responding to a post where someone did just assume the area was filled with the type of people I was referring so slow your damn roll. Im sorry your idea of a vacation isn't relaxing on a beautiful sandy white beach, but yeah it would be like a vacation. I'm also sure you were working and didn't have the time to truly enjoy yourself. Besides god forbid someone describes the area of mobile in a positive light, rather than a negative as I've seen many phily posters do without the proper experiences to back it up. Other than insinuating it wouldn't offer the same things because its in alabama.
jeeze man. all he said was that some people don't want to live in mobile and it isn't due to ill founded prejudices. it is due to personal preferences. i don't think it was so much the fact that you showed mobile in a positive light that he took issue with. it's the fact that you can't seem to fathom the idea that living in mobile alabama isn't ideal to everyone in the world and a lot of people wouldn't consider it a "vacation". good for you if you do. not everyone thinks like you though.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 PM

12,846 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Hey,before you jump on me i wasn't referring to any of your posts.
My mistake, when you said "everyone." I just thought you meant... well... everyone.

Quote:
efinitely responding to a post where someone did just assume the area was filled with the type of people I was referring so slow your damn roll.
Easy now. I am well aware of the post that sparked your rant, but again, you did say, "everyone." And that particular poster was one of maybe two or three in 9 total pages that had made some sort of ignorant remark. For that reason, I don't see why "everyone" needed to be called out or educated on the wonders of the Mobile area. Most of us aren't ignorant enough to assume that everyone in the area is a "backward bible-thumping idiot." It's a little ironic (and even more hypocritical) that you would call everyone out for making assumptions when you are, in fact, assuming things yourself.

Quote:
Im sorry your idea of a vacation isn't relaxing on a beautiful sandy white beach, but yeah it would be like a vacation. I'm also sure you were working and didn't have the time to truly enjoy yourself.
More assumptions. I never said my idea of relaxing isn't on a beautiful sandy beach. However, I can get those within an hour or so of Philadelphia too. In fact, I've always preferred the Atlantic to the Gulf Coast. Pensacola, Biloxi, and Panama City aren't big selling points for me because I don't find their beaches any more appealing than I find those of Southern New Jersey or the DelMarVa Peninsula. In fact, I prefer the latter.

Quote:
Besides god forbid someone describes the area of mobile in a positive light, rather than a negative as I've seen many phily posters do without the proper experiences to back it up. Other than insinuating it wouldn't offer the same things because its in alabama.
Did you even read what I wrote? I never said anything was wrong about you describing Alabama in a positive light. What I said was that you were criticizing people for "making assumptions" about Mobile while you were making assumptions about all of those other people yourself. I also said that you were assuming that everyone has the same interests and needs that you do.

What's more is that most people were only insinuating that Alabama wouldn't offer the same things because, well, Alabama is different! Is it really bad to acknowledge the cities are different? It's not a bad thing that they're different. I said it before, but I'm sure most people in Alabama are thrilled that their area isn't exactly the same as Philly.

By all means, tell us how wonderful Mobile and the area is. However, there's no need to make assumptions about what everyone else would like or want, and there's certainly no need to get upset that many people prefer one city to another. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:55 AM

191 posts, read 215,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I am perhaps in a unique opportunity to answer this question as I basically had to make this decision in real life.

Well not exactly but relatively close.

A year ago I was given the opportunity to relocate my job to Raleigh (not Mobile I know) along with a promotion and a raise of nearly 30 grand (I was making a lil over 40 and would have had the opportunity to be at nearly 70).

So yea I know Raleigh is not Mobile. It's roughly twice the size of Mobile, and not as exactly deep south as is Mobile. But culturally speaking I feel like none the less Raleigh may offer even less than Mobile.

Besides I feel like the individual city is less important. It's more of a question of where would you rather live? A vibrant, lively city for less money or a city like Mobile for much more.

In the end I decided Philly... although it was very hard decision. To be fair as well. I was born in Philly and so this question was a bit more complex. Philly wasn't just a lively city. It was the city where I grew up, my family and friends are all located here, as are the family and friends of my long time gf. We weren't just choosing city A over city B, we were choosing "our home" over city B.

Not to mention the fact that heading to raleigh wasn't exactly a clear cut financial winner. While obviously my paycheck would personally look MUCH nicer. My gf makes CONSIDERABLY more than me and has had the opportunity to rise through her company here in philly at a place she loves to work at.

Moving to Raleigh would mean she would have to leave this high paying job. Obviously she would be able to find another high paying job in Raleigh, but it is unlikely it would have paid quite as well and it's doubtful that it would give her the opportunity to climb through the company like she has.

So while in my decision of Philly vs Raleigh, philly won not only because I love the city, but due in a large way to extenuating circumstances. So in this question I would also have to pick philly, it's my home! But again a lot of extenuating circumstances come into play.

If this were between Mobile and another city like Philly that isn't Philly... like say Chicago or San Fran, I'd be much more tempted to make the move to mobile for more money. Especially if I was also guaranteed that my gf would have a job that was just as good no matter where we moved.

I mean honestly it seems very ridiculous to pick Mobile over an amazing city like san fran, but it's not like this is a life sentence or anything. It's not like I have to stay in Mobile forever. I could just go there, make the best of it and try to have fun while I'm there, meanwhile just saving all I can and then leaving after five years or so. Could be a fun experience and a great way to make some serious cash.

So while I pick Philly. If I wasn't from here and didn't have so many things tying me down here I could def see why some people would pick mobile over Philly. 20 grand is a lot of money, i don't care what anyone says.
could've gave releigh 7 years... I would've went... That's my opinion

Old 06-29-2011, 05:02 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Philly grime time... seriously...

I would pick philly, more oppurtunity. And just a better area to live in.
But...rude urban Northeasterners, depressing and cold winter weather and a grimy inner-city Philadelphia are not my thing. Granted, Mobile can be pretty run-down also, but you can also be out of and away from it and enjoying the Bay in ten minutes.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
65k in a city. Easy. Mobile itself may be historic and interesting, and people friendly, but God, Guns, Neo-conservatism, and NASCAR taking the place of culture and reason and diversity of thought is a bad thing.
Stereotype much? And as far as God goes, I believe that I saw churches and synogogues the last time I was in The City of Brotherly Love.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
I can understand why people would choose either. Personally, I'd take Philly for two reasons - I like dense, urban 4-season cities (yes, I've already lived in the sunbelt so know it well) and Philly will offer me better opportunities down the line as its economy is more robust and diversified.

In either case, I would hope I do not encounter uninformed stereotype and prejudice such as:
Quote:
Mobile itself may be historic and interesting, and people friendly, but God, Guns, Neo-conservatism, and NASCAR taking the place of culture and reason and diversity of thought is a bad thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
...rude urban Northeasterners, depressing and cold winter weather and a grimy inner-city Philadelphia are not my thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Married with children? Mobile.

Single and ready to mingle? Philly.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Tough one, but would probably take Mobile, but would be looking while I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City