Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times

Advertisements

Mobile over Philadelphia any day.

Southern slow time over Philly grime time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM

717 posts, read 898,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Because it's a city.
...of less than half a million people. Where they do that at?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
First of all, 20 g's is not a lot of money. Secondly, most of the people picking Mobile have obviously never lived in a big city. There is no way in the world I would give you the amenities of Philadelphia for Mobile for that amount. Most of you would move back immediately after you discovered that the locals "ain't too tolerant for your types."
I live in a huge conurbation. 8M.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Isn't Philly a relatively cheap city to live in, at least by Northern standards?

I wouldnt call it cheap, its cheaper than most other northern cities, but still more expensive than most of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Mobile over Philadelphia any day.

Southern slow time over Philly grime time anyway.
Philly grime time... seriously...

I would pick philly, more oppurtunity. And just a better area to live in.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
65k in a city. Easy. Mobile itself may be historic and interesting, and people friendly, but God, Guns, Neo-conservatism, and NASCAR taking the place of culture and reason and diversity of thought is a bad thing.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
65k in a city. Easy. Mobile itself may be historic and interesting, and people friendly, but God, Guns, Neo-conservatism, and NASCAR taking the place of culture and reason and diversity of thought is a bad thing.
Why does everyone assume this...OMG ALABAMA! That whole state is filled with backwords, bible thumpin' idiots. Get over yourselves its a damn good area for that much money. Oh if you don't like alabama move to florida and make the commute its not that far. For weekends... New Orleans, Biloxi, Panama city, and Pensacola there really is no downside at all going to mobile. It would be like a permanent vacation and you'd have everything you need within reach if not right there.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times
I am perhaps in a unique opportunity to answer this question as I basically had to make this decision in real life.

Well not exactly but relatively close.

A year ago I was given the opportunity to relocate my job to Raleigh (not Mobile I know) along with a promotion and a raise of nearly 30 grand (I was making a lil over 40 and would have had the opportunity to be at nearly 70).

So yea I know Raleigh is not Mobile. It's roughly twice the size of Mobile, and not as exactly deep south as is Mobile. But culturally speaking I feel like none the less Raleigh may offer even less than Mobile.

Besides I feel like the individual city is less important. It's more of a question of where would you rather live? A vibrant, lively city for less money or a city like Mobile for much more.

In the end I decided Philly... although it was very hard decision. To be fair as well. I was born in Philly and so this question was a bit more complex. Philly wasn't just a lively city. It was the city where I grew up, my family and friends are all located here, as are the family and friends of my long time gf. We weren't just choosing city A over city B, we were choosing "our home" over city B.

Not to mention the fact that heading to raleigh wasn't exactly a clear cut financial winner. While obviously my paycheck would personally look MUCH nicer. My gf makes CONSIDERABLY more than me and has had the opportunity to rise through her company here in philly at a place she loves to work at.

Moving to Raleigh would mean she would have to leave this high paying job. Obviously she would be able to find another high paying job in Raleigh, but it is unlikely it would have paid quite as well and it's doubtful that it would give her the opportunity to climb through the company like she has.

So while in my decision of Philly vs Raleigh, philly won not only because I love the city, but due in a large way to extenuating circumstances. So in this question I would also have to pick philly, it's my home! But again a lot of extenuating circumstances come into play.

If this were between Mobile and another city like Philly that isn't Philly... like say Chicago or San Fran, I'd be much more tempted to make the move to mobile for more money. Especially if I was also guaranteed that my gf would have a job that was just as good no matter where we moved.

I mean honestly it seems very ridiculous to pick Mobile over an amazing city like san fran, but it's not like this is a life sentence or anything. It's not like I have to stay in Mobile forever. I could just go there, make the best of it and try to have fun while I'm there, meanwhile just saving all I can and then leaving after five years or so. Could be a fun experience and a great way to make some serious cash.

So while I pick Philly. If I wasn't from here and didn't have so many things tying me down here I could def see why some people would pick mobile over Philly. 20 grand is a lot of money, i don't care what anyone says.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
You're assuming more in this single post than I've seen anyone assume in the entire thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
Why does everyone assume this...OMG ALABAMA! That whole state is filled with backwords, bible thumpin' idiots.
Why do you assume that everyone feels that way about Alabama. I've seen one or two posts along those lines in 9 total pages of the thread. Certainly not "everyone" by a long shot. In fact, most posts reasoning either way have been fairly rational.

Quote:
Get over yourselves its a damn good area for that much money. Oh if you don't like alabama move to florida and make the commute its not that far.
Here, you assume everyone would love Florida or Alabama.

I've spent plenty of time in the Panhandle. While I have never spent a ton of time IN Mobile, I'm comfortable enough with my own preferences (and my experiences in nearby areas) to make the educated decision that Philadelphia would be a better fit for me.

Quote:
For weekends... New Orleans, Biloxi, Panama city, and Pensacola there really is no downside at all going to mobile.
Here you assume that those places are everyone's idea of fun.

New Orleans is great. Biloxi, Panama City and Pensacola don't really scream "great time" to me. They don't appeal to me at all (I've been to Biloxi, Pensacola and Panama City as well as NO). I was in Panama City as recently as April for a friend's graduation from Dive School for the USN. I'd much rather spend my weekends in New York, Boston, DC, Baltimore, the New Jersey, Delaware or Maryland Coast, rural Pennsylvania or Maryland, etc.

Quote:
It would be like a permanent vacation and you'd have everything you need within reach if not right there.
Here you assume that everyone's idea of "vacation" is the same as your own. You also assume that everyone's "needs" are the same as your own.

I've already said that Mobile and most of those surrounding areas don't appeal to me in the slightest bit. However, it has little to do with me assuming that the area is full of "backwards, bible thumping idiots." I don't feel that way at all. It has much more to due with the fact that I can't stand the climate of that region, I would much rather live in a major city with good public transportation, dense, walkable neighborhoods (not just one or two), and good proximity to other major cities in addition to my family and friends (also concentrated in the Northeast.

It may come as a shock, but not everyone who isn't too keen on moving to the Deep South feels that way because they're assuming that it's chalk full of backwards hicks. Some people just prefer a different environment. I'm one of them.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Philly, I'd rather live there and make less.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You're assuming more in this single post than I've seen anyone assume in the entire thread.

Why do you assume that everyone feels that way about Alabama. I've seen one or two posts along those lines in 9 total pages of the thread. Certainly not "everyone" by a long shot. In fact, most posts reasoning either way have been fairly rational.

Here, you assume everyone would love Florida or Alabama.

I've spent plenty of time in the Panhandle. While I have never spent a ton of time IN Mobile, I'm comfortable enough with my own preferences (and my experiences in nearby areas) to make the educated decision that Philadelphia would be a better fit for me.

Here you assume that those places are everyone's idea of fun.

New Orleans is great. Biloxi, Panama City and Pensacola don't really scream "great time" to me. They don't appeal to me at all (I've been to Biloxi, Pensacola and Panama City as well as NO). I was in Panama City as recently as April for a friend's graduation from Dive School for the USN. I'd much rather spend my weekends in New York, Boston, DC, Baltimore, the New Jersey, Delaware or Maryland Coast, rural Pennsylvania or Maryland, etc.

Here you assume that everyone's idea of "vacation" is the same as your own. You also assume that everyone's "needs" are the same as your own.

I've already said that Mobile and most of those surrounding areas don't appeal to me in the slightest bit. However, it has little to do with me assuming that the area is full of "backwards, bible thumping idiots." I don't feel that way at all. It has much more to due with the fact that I can't stand the climate of that region, I would much rather live in a major city with good public transportation, dense, walkable neighborhoods (not just one or two), and good proximity to other major cities in addition to my family and friends (also concentrated in the Northeast.

It may come as a shock, but not everyone who isn't too keen on moving to the Deep South feels that way because they're assuming that it's chalk full of backwards hicks. Some people just prefer a different environment. I'm one of them.
Hey,before you jump on me i wasn't referring to any of your posts. Definitely responding to a post where someone did just assume the area was filled with the type of people I was referring so slow your damn roll. Im sorry your idea of a vacation isn't relaxing on a beautiful sandy white beach, but yeah it would be like a vacation. I'm also sure you were working and didn't have the time to truly enjoy yourself. Besides god forbid someone describes the area of mobile in a positive light, rather than a negative as I've seen many phily posters do without the proper experiences to back it up. Other than insinuating it wouldn't offer the same things because its in alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City