Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 AM

4 posts, read 19,451 times

Advertisements

First a bit about myself:

28, Male, single

I'm self-employed and work out of my home so job security is no issue. My number one priority is finding a state which can alleviate my tax burden. I got absolutely mauled in my taxes and things will be getting progressively worse. Other than that, I have no preference whatsoever. Obviously a location abundant with single women would be a huge plus as it would allow me to increase the number of restraining orders currently filed against me.

Currently living in Santa Monica CA and I've narrowed the search down to Summerlin, Seven Hills, Henderson (Vegas), Austin (Texas), Jacksonville (Florida).

Vegas appeals to me because the move would be rather low maintenance plus I'd be within driving distance to Cali.

Austin seems ideal from what I've read about it but I despise bugs/insects (almost a phobia) and it seems to be a constant in Texas.

Jacksonville seems to have a big city feel which I wouldnt mind experiencing again (lived in NYC) but I have relatives Im not too fond of living in various places (orlando and miami).

Any feedback would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 06:57 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Retirement View Post
First a bit about myself:

28, Male, single

I'm self-employed and work out of my home so job security is no issue. My number one priority is finding a state which can alleviate my tax burden. I got absolutely mauled in my taxes and things will be getting progressively worse. Other than that, I have no preference whatsoever. Obviously a location abundant with single women would be a huge plus as it would allow me to increase the number of restraining orders currently filed against me.

Currently living in Santa Monica CA and I've narrowed the search down to Summerlin, Seven Hills, Henderson (Vegas), Austin (Texas), Jacksonville (Florida).

Vegas appeals to me because the move would be rather low maintenance plus I'd be within driving distance to Cali.

Austin seems ideal from what I've read about it but I despise bugs/insects (almost a phobia) and it seems to be a constant in Texas.

Jacksonville seems to have a big city feel which I wouldnt mind experiencing again (lived in NYC) but I have relatives Im not too fond of living in various places (orlando and miami).

Any feedback would be welcomed.
Bugs aren't going to be the issue here....property taxes are sky high.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:26 AM

It's pretty much on par with property taxes in SM, about 40-60% higher than in summerlin and 300+% higher than homes in jacksonville.

Im much more concerned about the bugs

Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
I actually have experience with all cities you mentioned. Plus I currently live in LA.

Las Vegas in my opinion is the best of the 3 to be single. There are so many single people looking to get ahead from all over the country. Plus you have a lot of California transplants living there. My suggestion is Henderson or Southwest Las Vegas (called South Strip). Most of the singles gravitate toward the bigger complexes on the South Strip (aptly named the Manhattan, the Park Avenue, the Boca Raton, etc.). Then there is also the Meridian which is just East of the Strip on Flamingo. The mentality in Las Vegas is similar to LA.

Austin to me has not been impressive. It is a huge college town, despite having 700K people. The city is very tied to the University of Texas, it's the main attraction. It is also very Southern. Don't let the "anything goes attitude" fool you. Things are still largely conservative other than environmentalism. We used to call it redneck yuppie. A lot of wealthy Southern kids who move to Austin and act like wealthy rednecks. The downtown area is really small (i.e. 6th Street). Outside of the immediate downtown, there wasn't much going on. Lots of singles, but many of them are fresh out of college and tend to relocate somewhere else after a few years.

Jacksonville is a massive city landwise, the largest in the US. It has a wide variety of neighborhoods. It is a mix of suburban, rural, and urban. The beach are was ok, Santa Monica and the South Bay are MUCH nicer. I did notice Jax had a LOT of white trash (my opinion). The downtown was small, seemed somewhat lively. There isn't a designated young professional area. People just live all mixed together. I wasn't a huge fan. Everything is really really spread out. Driving everywhere is a must. It's not like LA though. There are miles and miles of rural areas within the Jax city limits.

Bottom Line: If you are used to the NYC/LA mentality, go with Las Vegas. Jax is a complete 180 from that and Austin is about in between.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 AM

Much obliged for the response. Your insight into Austin is especially appreciated. And Jacksonville was always a distant third in my mind. So Vegas it is.

I'm familiar with the areas you mentioned but i keep hearing that summerlin, centennial hills should be my destination. I take it Henderson and the SW strip is a younger crowd and the others tend to be older?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 AM

SW strip seems to be single professionals ranging from late 20s thru ealy 40s in my experience. Henderson has some of the same, just less so. Benefits of that are its close to the Strip (at least closer than Summerlin). Before Las Vegas crashed, South Strip was the new in place to be.

Summerlin appeared to be more family oriented and it is a lot farther from entertainment.

There are singles to be had all over LV just like LA. Just matters how easy it is to meet them and the entertainment options around. I just didn't see so many in Summerlin.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM

You've been extremely helpful. Ill expand my home search and focus on the SW Strip and Henderson.

Thanks again for the insight. Im not going to lie, I was leaning towards Austin because of all the great stuff I'd read about it here and a few other sources.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Austin to me has not been impressive. It is a huge college town, despite having 700K people. The city is very tied to the University of Texas, it's the main attraction. It is also very Southern. Don't let the "anything goes attitude" fool you. Things are still largely conservative other than environmentalism. We used to call it redneck yuppie. A lot of wealthy Southern kids who move to Austin and act like wealthy rednecks. The downtown area is really small (i.e. 6th Street). Outside of the immediate downtown, there wasn't much going on. Lots of singles, but many of them are fresh out of college and tend to relocate somewhere else after a few years.
You guys are too cool.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early_Retirement View Post
You've been extremely helpful. Ill expand my home search and focus on the SW Strip and Henderson.

Thanks again for the insight. Im not going to lie, I was leaning towards Austin because of all the great stuff I'd read about it here and a few other sources.
Definitely check more into it if you think it'll be a good fit. Having grown up in Chicago and living here in Los Angeles, Austin didn't seem to have too much. It is a cool city, but there didn't seem to be much outside it being the Capitol, University of Texas, and a few blocks of downtown. And I felt like those blocks of downtown, mainly 6th Street, were about what just Santa Monica alone offers here in LA.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I actually have experience with all cities you mentioned. Plus I currently live in LA.

Las Vegas in my opinion is the best of the 3 to be single. There are so many single people looking to get ahead from all over the country. Plus you have a lot of California transplants living there. My suggestion is Henderson or Southwest Las Vegas (called South Strip). Most of the singles gravitate toward the bigger complexes on the South Strip (aptly named the Manhattan, the Park Avenue, the Boca Raton, etc.). Then there is also the Meridian which is just East of the Strip on Flamingo. The mentality in Las Vegas is similar to LA.

Jacksonville is a massive city landwise, the largest in the US. It has a wide variety of neighborhoods. It is a mix of suburban, rural, and urban. The beach are was ok, Santa Monica and the South Bay are MUCH nicer. I did notice Jax had a LOT of white trash (my opinion). The downtown was small, seemed somewhat lively. There isn't a designated young professional area. People just live all mixed together. I wasn't a huge fan. Everything is really really spread out. Driving everywhere is a must. It's not like LA though. There are miles and miles of rural areas within the Jax city limits.

Bottom Line: If you are used to the NYC/LA mentality, go with Las Vegas. Jax is a complete 180 from that and Austin is about in between.
Everything you said was accurate excpet what is in the red. Uhh, yeeeeah. Pretty poor description of Austin. I know you've been to the South, so this description of Austin as being "very southern" confuses me. You must have it confused with Bryan-College Station. I had no Ideal Austin was a magnet for other Southerners. I agree it's not that Liberal, I agree people overrated that aspect ALOT, but everything else you said is suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City