Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
But Valencian, Mexico City has 10m more people, is the center of Aztec civilization and has the most museums (or is it theaters?) in the world. Oh and it also has MUCH better climate and scenery. You don't think that's more important than fluff like finance, transportation and world class educational institutions?
Don't forget almost hosting an Olympiad back in the Stone Age, and being the trucking capital of the U.S.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Don't forget almost hosting an Olympiad back in the Stone Age, and being the trucking capital of the U.S.
Hey now, that's out of context because I was just listing things off the top of my head. Well the hard part is winning the bid to host the Olympics and Chicago got that down, its their decision that came after that to let Saint Louis have it that hurt them, in my opinion. Still Mexico City hasn't even won a bid for the sport yet.

Trucking capital? Those freeways in Chicagoland exist for a reason, they're used for distribution and Chicago's pretty damn good at it too. It's practically undefeated and that's just counting the freight they unload and reload.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM

Mexico City hosted the Olympics in 1968, but that means little; the two cities are pretty even in global importance. As far as the vibrancy and urbanity though, which are so prized on this board, Mexico City kills Chicago. Not even close. Even the crime rate is lower in MC these days! It deserves a little more respect than its been getting lately.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Mexico City hosted the Olympics in 1968, but that means little; the two cities are pretty even in global importance. As far as the vibrancy and urbanity though, which are so prized on this board, Mexico City kills Chicago. Not even close. Even the crime rate is lower in MC these days! It deserves a little more respect than its been getting lately.
ROFLMAO... I guess that's why Chicago is a perennial top 10 global city in virtually every ranking that's ever been published while MC usually doesn't even crack the top 30... yeah "pretty even". Tell us more, Mr Nonsense. Your ramblings as usual are very funny.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
I don't disrespect Mexico City and I'm not really the type of person that engages in a war like conversation. I leave the Batman versus the Joker stuff to other people to go and figure.

What I don't understand are the arguments for it, I haven't seen too many cases where Mexico City is more important than Chicago and never mind the studies, I personally feel like a top tier city doesn't even need those to make its case because it has the credentials to do so without it. Which is why I'm scratching my head here, what makes it more important than Chicago besides what's already been said about size and political power?

What exactly am I missing here? All I want are answers. I'm not looking to tear Mexico City up. I do respect it and its on my short list to see one day.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
ROFLMAO... I guess that's why Chicago is a perennial top 10 global city in virtually every ranking that's ever been published while MC usually doesn't even crack the top 30... yeah "pretty even". Tell us more, Mr Nonsense. Your ramblings as usual are very funny.
Chicago as a global top 10 city is a an even bigger joke than your posting existence. Who in their right mind thinks Chicago a top 10 worldwide city?! Anyone? Its "importance" is all related to its financial industry, which is what all those lists are skewed towards, and Chicago doesn't even top the nation in this category.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM

318 posts, read 467,345 times
Quote:
Chicago as a global top 10 city is a an even bigger joke than your posting existence. Who in their right mind thinks Chicago a top 10 worldwide city?! Anyone? Its "importance" is all related to its financial industry, which is what all those lists are skewed towards, and Chicago doesn't even top the nation in this category.
I do. LA's "importance" is all related to the entertainment industry. See what I did there?

Chicago doesnt top the nation? You dont ****ing say? A nation of 310 million, with three to four bona-fide world cities. How many countries have one, let alone three to four?

Anyway, name 10 more important.

Ill promise not to laugh.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovehockey85 View Post
I do.

Chicago doesnt top the nation? You dont ****ing say? A nation of 310 million, with three bona-fide world cities. How many countries have one, let alone three?

Anyway, name 10 more important.

Ill promise not to laugh.
Dont kid yourself: NYC, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shangai, Moscow.

Debatable: São Paulo, Mexico City, Madrid, Singapore

Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
Let's see:
Lets
Quote:

- Third largest intermodal port in the world right after Hong Kong & Singapore (good cities to be peers with, huh? )
Kid we're talking about international here. Singapore and Hong Kong's intermodal ports affect the shipments and supply of other countries. Chicago's stays within the US because its in the midwest. It's servicing is the US. So that would be domestic influence. Sound familiar kiddo? Just like Mexico City, right bruh?
Quote:
- An economy larger and more diverse than Mexico City's, also happens to be over half a Trillion in output now. How many cities in the world could say this? Oh yeahhh that's right, like less than 10 at best case scenario.
One thing I picked up on after living in the bay is that I will take my chances on not having as diverse of an economy and take a place that diverges with its own trademark industry. For us its tech and for Chicago it's nothing, which is why inflation catapults the bay's GDP soaring passed Chicagoland. Even after that consideration the bay's economy touches a little bit of every industry. Mexico City the same way has a surging GDP which just crossed $410B in 2011, keep in mind not every city in the world has GDP output like the US. Comparing which cities are most important in the US is easy just look at the GDP, comparing them with cities of other countries you have to consider a slew of other things unless you want to argue Chicago is up there with Paris?
Quote:
- Larger corporate hub than Mexico City, also wields some of the most powerful & influential companies on the planet (McDonalds, Boeing, Sears, United, so on and so forth).
k.
Quote:
- The meeting point of SIX, count it SIX of the seven class 1 railroads in the United States. Every major railroad company in North America wants something to do with Chicago.
Domestic kid.
Quote:
- Fourth busiest airport in the world right after Atlanta, Beijing, & London. (Good peers to be with)
How is this relevant? The folks that wind up with layovers in Chicago don't even step foot in the city. You think being one of the layover capitals of the world is important?
Quote:
- Trucking & fracking capital of the United States, the volume of imports & exports moving through Chicago by truck is unmatched by anywhere else. It's the distribution capital of the country.
Domestic.

Chicago is not NYC, LA, Houston, Seattle, Oakland. It does not relate to foreign involvement in anything it ships, imports, and exports. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm drawing blanks how this is affecting the rest of the world?

Mexico City is for the same landlocked reason unable to have international ties by shipping and cargo unless you're talking about cargo planes through the airport. That's the only thing that puts import and export on the map for both of these cities IMO.
Quote:
- Had the credentials to win the 1906 Olympics but gave it to Saint Louis instead for a chance to host the worlds fair.
RCL's already filled in for me here.
Quote:
- Home to branches and subsidies of the Federal Reserve, most major United States banks, insurance companies (like Allstate), & base operations for CME. CME being the worlds leader in commodities exchange. The base for Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago Board of Trade, so on and so forth.
Mexico City is home of ALL the primary insurance, banks, and Mexican Stock Exchanges of Mexico. How's this any different?

CME and CBOT are the only advantages Chicago has here. Chicago is a more important financial center because of CME, if it wasn't for that then no.
Quote:
- Produces some of the worlds leading architects. See Dubai and Shanghai to see the number of Chicago based architects that design the "supertalls" there.
Architecture is a baseless argument against Mexico City. It has several hundred years lead to Chicago and if you've seen the Aztec Pyramids then it speaks for itself. What do architects have anything to do with importance anyway?
Quote:
- One of the three largest manufacturing centers in the United States (by metropolitans) right there with Los Angeles & New York (again good peers to be with)
I'm willing to sign that Mexico City is the undisputed king of manufacturing in Mexico. So how is this any different?
Quote:
- Chicago based politicians are on the Potomac, that's present influence in the United States politics. Rahm Emmnuel (present mayor of Chicago) was formerly in the Obama Administration. A multitude of Obama's cabinet is from Chicago as well.
Same with Mexico City except they actually stay in Mexico City when they take office.
Quote:
- Here's one for you personally since you like "name recognition" topics: Considering its like the 42nd largest metropolitan in the world, I'm pretty sure it's recognition out paces that.
You're kidding yourself if you think Mexico City lacks name recognition. Anholt's brand recognition analysis has both Mexico City and Chicago represented.
Quote:
This is still excluding the fact that it's the 7th largest financial center in the world. Those are a couple of things off the top of my head. Perhaps later I could look at some information and add to it. Some of those things are more influence (architects & politics) but all I know is that architecture firms in Chicago make their revenue from offshore projects.
This excludes being the economic, political, social, cultural, financial, and logistical beast of one of the worlds 15 most powerful nations both by size and GDP while also being a "hypercity" as you put it.

I may have to take what I said back, Mexico City, SF Bay Area, DC, and Toronto maybe the closest peers Chicago has in North America IMO.

btw kid, how many megacities and "hypercities" have you been to underestimate Mexico City's power and influence?

Last edited by scrantiX; 10-08-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 PM

318 posts, read 467,345 times
Quote:
Dont kid yourself: NYC, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shangai, Moscow.

Debatable: São Paulo, Mexico City, Madrid, Singapore

I lied about not laughing.

How are Berlin, Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Moscow, Sao Paolo, Mexico City, Madrid and Singapore more important?

These cities dont match up economically, and that is the only real indicator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City