Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times

Advertisements

Facebook & Twitter members have picked these below cities as "the world's best cities for summer travel".

Barcelona, Sydney, Montreal, London, Chicago, Stockholm, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Berlin, Lisbon & New York.

http://inside-digital.blog.lonelypla...t-summer-city/

Based on your travel experience, what other U.S/Canadian cities besides Chicago & New York is great to visit in summer? Seattle, San Diego, Honolulu, Toronto, Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:11 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Chicago is definitely a summer city, but that's the only time I've been there. NYC and MTL are the ones on the list i've been to in multiple seasons. I prefer NYC in fall and winter. Manhattan is hot and smells like urine and garbage in the summer. Montreal is nice in the summer, but I'd also recommend going there in the fall.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Chicago? Not for me. The last time I went during the summer, the morning I woke up, we were in the middle of a tornado. Later that day, the electricity blacked out for hours. And that summer heat is no joke. I used to live there and it would kill me to go out.

I vote for Florida or San Diego. Florida because I go there almost every summer and although the humidity isn't cool, the beach is always nice and warm and blue and there are a variety of water-related activities to do. You can also take the opportunity to go to the various Caribbean islands and have a good time.

I also think San Diego because supposedly they have perfect weather everyday of the year so that is definitely a blessing for those who hate the heat and humidity of summer.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I'm just going to say where i live. Denver. Its a great place for a summer vacation. Many biking trails, Great places to hike, Camping at Cherry Creek State Park, "Beaches" at the many reservoirs, 16th Street Mall, Aurora Reservoir, Red Rocks, Boating is popular in the area where i live, Fishing, Sloans Lake is great, Elitch Gardens Amusement park, Lakeside Amusement park, If you want a place to drive for a bit, going to the mountains are fun to shop in.

These are just the things i associate Denver+Summer with. Its really a great summer city.

Other cities i suggest are...Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, LA, Orlando, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Cheyenne, & if you can tolerate it, Phoenix/Dallas.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM

345 posts, read 833,448 times
I agree Denver should be on that list. But Minneapolis is also overlooked. About the same climate as Denver, plus many bike trails and river walks. The Nicollet Mall (all of downtown actually) and the University of Minnesota are also very fun to walk around.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Seattle + Portland

Old 07-15-2011, 05:44 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Seattle and Portland definitely. The cities themselves are fantastic, but couple that with balmy weather and you get a pretty good time.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Chicago? Not for me. The last time I went during the summer, the morning I woke up, we were in the middle of a tornado. Later that day, the electricity blacked out for hours. And that summer heat is no joke. I used to live there and it would kill me to go out.

I vote for Florida or San Diego. Florida because I go there almost every summer and although the humidity isn't cool, the beach is always nice and warm and blue and there are a variety of water-related activities to do. You can also take the opportunity to go to the various Caribbean islands and have a good time.

I also think San Diego because supposedly they have perfect weather everyday of the year so that is definitely a blessing for those who hate the heat and humidity of summer.
I don't have a problem with you not liking Chicago, but the reasons you list and then go say you like those southern cities on the ocean? They have horrid heat and hurricanes!

Chicago also doesn't really experience tornadoes, so you haven't been here recently.

The reasoning for those cities being summer cities is that they come alive in the summer. They have snow and then things completely turn around. San Diego has the same "weather" year round so the opportunities don't change. And Florida isn't a city.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
burlington vt, portlsnd. maine

boston, mass

Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
I think NYC is wonderful in Fall & during X-mas, New Year's. Chicago is great in the summer & fall. D.C is probably hot & humid in the summer but pretty nice during spring season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Chicago is definitely a summer city, but that's the only time I've been there. NYC and MTL are the ones on the list i've been to in multiple seasons. I prefer NYC in fall and winter. Manhattan is hot and smells like urine and garbage in the summer. Montreal is nice in the summer, but I'd also recommend going there in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City