Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
I'll tell you this: I've been to Europe four times. The USA has 9X the population of Canada, so you'd expect I'd meet 9X as many Americans as Canadians travelling. Wrong. I've only met 3-4X as many Americans as Canadians travelling in Europe. Canadians and Australians travel around the world at a far greater rate than Americans.
Heh, I wouldn't, because I know that only ~ 30% of Americans have a valid passport / end smartass comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
You lied when you said I was painting the entire American populace with one brush. That right there proves you lie.
Actually, not to interject into this very thoughtful discussion, but your example above is not proof of a lie. A lie would be an intentional mirepresentation of a factual statement. "The Vancouver Canucks won the 2011 Stanley Cup" would be a lie.

It seems your complaint with tmac is that he is misinterpreting your statements. That is a difference of opinion/interpretation, or at worst an over-generalization. But it's not a lie. And regardless, one requires more than a single example before a "tendency" can be claimed. If I am involved with one car crash, I cannot be said to have a tendency to be involved in car crashes. Thus, the foundation used to support your assertion that tmac has a "tendency" to lie is insufficient.

...but anyway, please carry on. This is an enlightening conversation.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 PM

199 posts, read 355,447 times
That's why I'm here. To enlighten the masses.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Once again, angry city hippie throws a tantrum in an effort to make Canada somehow seem superior to the US. Awesome.

Next up we'll be discussing the merits of curling as an Olympic sport.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking to you with that comment. I was talking to the people who suggest we have passports to travel to the United States when we've never historically needed them to travel to the United States.

I'll tell you this: I've been to Europe four times. The USA has 9X the population of Canada, so you'd expect I'd meet 9X as many Americans as Canadians travelling. Wrong. I've only met 3-4X as many Americans as Canadians travelling in Europe. Canadians and Australians travel around the world at a far greater rate than Americans.
well maybe they all have passports because to go anywhere intresting they need to leave their country.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Once again, angry city hippie throws a tantrum in an effort to make Canada somehow seem superior to the US. Awesome.

Next up we'll be discussing the merits of curling as an Olympic sport.
Nope. You're lying. You're the one who's angry, not me. I merely pointed out that it was pathetic that only 30% of Americans hold a passport. YOU are the one who got angry and defensive, and started lashing back at me. Were you not angry you'd have either let the comment go, or proved that I was lying when I said that only about 30% of Americans have a passport vs. about 60% of Canadians.

Now I'm sure you'll prove my point about how angry you are with yet another off-topic response.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
well maybe they all have passports because to go anywhere intresting they need to leave their country.
I've explained at least five times in this thread that we didn't need passports to go to the USA until 2 years ago. Yet we've always had a high rate of citizens with passports. Some people's inability to read is amazing.

On your point though, I've lived in the USA and travelled to many States. The USA is not more interesting than Canada.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
I've explained at least five times in this thread that we didn't need passports to go to the USA until 2 years ago. Yet we've always had a high rate of citizens with passports. Some people's inability to read is amazing.

On your point though, I've lived in the USA and travelled to many States. The USA is not more interesting than Canada.
LOL the northern 70% of Canada is tundra, or pine forests, exciting.
America (canada too) has the Rockies
Just America
Grand Caynon
Desert
decent beaches
summers (lol not really)
more cities
more amusment parks
more everthing you can think of except polar bears.
Also we dont need a passport to go to the tropics, so why go to say Costa rica (as good as American VI's or Hawaii.) when you can go to the american overseas territories without a passport.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Also we dont need a passport to go to the tropics, so why go to say Costa rica (as good as American VI's or Hawaii.) when you can go to the american overseas territories without a passport.
Because Costa Rica is amazing! CR is very different than the Virgin Islands and has a different culture than Hawaii. ...sigh...I miss Costa Rica.

As a side note, I think everyone here is taking this thread too seriously.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 PM

LOL. Yes, because I know that Americans in drove are visiting the tourist hotspot of Guam.

Some people just don't know how to quit while they're just a little behind. They insist on falling even further behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City