Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah seriously, SD's obviously never been the east coast. NYC , Boston, Providence, DC and Philly can get to the shore faster than Cali can say Rancho Cucamonga
This post makes no sense. I have great respect for Boston and New York. I have family and friends there. Perhaps you need to work on your insults .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Actually Miami wasn't in that survey because polls were only for the 35 largest cities in the country.
Last I checked, Charleston, Savannah, Santa Fe, Providence, Salt Lake, New Orleans, and KC are not among the top 35 yet appear in the survey.

I'd say LA and Miami are a dead heat for beach culture among the cities in this thread, if you like that sort of thing. Toss in SD and Va Beach and maybe that would make a good thread?

Gnarly! Hang 10!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Jose guy View Post
LA-NY-Chicago-Miami-Philly

If it were up to me, Philadelphia would not be in this level.

If you look at magazines for representing cities for regional branch headquarters and other essential businesses and cultures, Houston, Dallas, Boston and SF would be on the list, not Philadelphia.

Philadelphia is not on the same tier as the above cities mentioned. Just browse different magazines like Architectural Record, World Trade, Vogue and Vanity Fair. Philadelphia is usually not on the regional representing cities' lists.
Not on the same tier as the cities above? By what metric? DC has been ranked much higher than Philly because of the federal government's presence. But I've been to DC countless times and I honestly think Philly's better. Hell, even my brother agrees (he went to college there). Why should I pay mind to a worthless ranking? All I see is Philadelphia being inferior because of poor perceptions and worthless metrics. In reality, Philly is just as big (if not bigger), as awesome (if not more awesome), as fun (if not more fun), as major and packs as powerful a punch as any of those major cities you listed. Sure, some of those cities may have something over Philly....but Philly deff has something over them as well. GDP numbers, corporate headquarters, and worthless rankings don't always paint an accurate picture. Philly may not have the corporate presence or GDP number as some of those heavy hitters out there, but who cares because it makes it up with the city's unrivaled history, architectural gems, world-class higher education institutions, amazing sports fans, wonderful and fun downtown and so on. Philly is a heavy hitter in a slightly different way. If city-data prefers GDP numbers, corporate headquarters, worthless GaWC and magazine rankings, be my guest.

You want another worthless ranking? Here you go http://www.citymayors.com/economics/...al-cities.html. The only exception is that this worthless ranking puts Philadelphia 18th as world's best financial city ahead of Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, Dallas and Houston. Not that I care, but "tiers" is a stupid thing to talk about.

Last edited by Libohove90; 08-22-2011 at 11:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Default In defense of Miami

I did not mean to say Miami is lacking in culture ... it does have culture, some culture anyways ... but I am with those that say beach leisure activities are NOT cultural.

-- Miami has one of the best tropical botanical gardens in the world: The Fairchild Tropical Garden in Coral Gables. Fairchild has the greatest and most diverse collection of palm trees in the world.

-- One of the most beautiful historic house museums in the US is the opulent Villa Vizcaya, and early 20th Century Italian-style Palazzo built by a super rich industrialist right on the edge of Biscayne Bay. There are other historic homes such as The Barnacle in Coconut Grove and the Coral Castle down by Homestead.

-- For fans of architecture, Miami Beach's South Beach Art Deco District is unique, it has inspired many books about it and visitors from around the world come to see it

-- People interested in nature, environmentalism, and natural history would love Everglades National Park, just an hour south of Miami, which is not only distinct and fascinating eco-system, but a World Heritage Site recognized by the United Nations.

Where Miami is lacking, in my view, are the classical concepts of "culture": fine arts museums, symphonies, opera, ballet, cinema, literature, theater, academia, etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,909 times
Miami and LA are places people from most places will brag about visiting for years upon years when they go back to their hometown.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,613 times
1) New York City
2) Philadelphia
3) Chicago
4) Los Angeles
5) Miami

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Miami and LA are places people from most places will brag about visiting for years upon years when they go back to their hometown.
Depends. I know some people who thought both were overrated.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,935 times
No doubt. They loom large in the popular imagination, few places more than L.A. - as they say about NYC, 'nice place to visit'. How many people would tack on 'and a great place to live', that's the question.

Quote:

Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Guess it depends on their home town. Folks need to get out more.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I shouldn't have included Philadelphia, it's really not that large and is only a Gamma. Personally I would say that Chicago is the greenest city and arguably the most educated. New York the economic center. Miami does have the largest concentration of international banks in the country. I would also say people in Los Angeles have the better lifestyle.
Wellll.... This was a toughie for me..So I chose New York. Huge population, lots of skyscrapers, entertainment,tourist galore, 24-7 environment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City