Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

You knew that this day would come eventually, with all the power that NYC has, it takes two great American cities to level out on the same playing field as NYC.

NYC is a great city, but lets be frank, putting any one single city up against it is certainly ridiculous. The city has basically made itself a whole new level that no other US city can reach.

But two cities like Chicago and LA put together can give NYC a fair match up.

This thread is a fair comparison. I don't want to hear any of the following:

"... it takes two cities to compare to NYC, that's how great our city is...."

I personally think that Chicago and LA compliment each other, because they both have what the other doesn't.

No personal attacks, lets have a nice and friendly discussion.

Chicago & LA VS. New York City...

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-20-2010 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM

324 posts, read 669,252 times
Oh, wow. Personally I would still take NY over Chicago+LA.

But, Chicago and LA are fun too.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
Chicago and L.A?! My two homes, granted L.A was less than a year and I was 15, but anyway!

I don't understand the whole premise of this thread. Are we taking the best of both L.A and Chicago and combining them into one city? If that's the case, the L.A-Chicago combination would win hands down!

By the way, this thread is doomed, I can already see the 160 pages of flaming that are going to take place, but what can you expect? This is City-data....

Edit/

you should have included a poll....is it too late to add one?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:21 PM

73 posts, read 132,379 times
No competition whatsoever... New York City.

New York City would still have more highly acclaimed restaurants, New York City would still have more highly acclaimed bars, New York City will still dominate when it comes to art, New York City would still humiliate those lesser cities when it comes to nightlife, New York City would still have a much higher GDP, New York City (Manhattan alone) would still have 3X the amount of billioniares as that entire damn Los Angeles + Chicago combo, New York City would still be the financial capital of the world, and most importantly -- it would still be the most powerful and influential city in the world.

New York City is unstoppable, New York City is and will always remain the beacon of American power, success and prosperity. It's about time you all just accept that and drop these silly inferiority complex ridden threads.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited by Gordon Gekko.; 04-20-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 06:24 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Chicago and L.A?! My two homes, granted L.A was less than a year and I was 15, but anyway!

I don't understand the whole premise of this thread. Are we taking the best of both L.A and Chicago and combining them into one city? If that's the case, the L.A-Chicago combination would win hands down!

By the way, this thread is doomed, I can already see the 160 pages of flaming that are going to take place, but what can you expect? This is City-data....

Edit/

you should have included a poll....is it too late to add one?
The weirdest thing, I actually clicked on the add poll option for two choices, and it just took me here, and never added the poll or let me edit the poll. It's possible it was a glitch.

Yeahh I'm more than prepared for what's to come. But as the OP I do have a responsibility to point out that we should keep it as friendly as possible. Lol.

Also yeahh, take characteristics from both cities and combine them, it could be good things, and for people in NYC who want to make a defense by stating the bad things about both, they can do so.

Other wise, yeahhh it's a go!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
All I am going to say is that this thread is a bad idea.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM

370 posts, read 372,620 times
I think NYC's continued position as the sole global leader is somewhat debatable. LA is more or less the future, having connections to the entire Pacific Rim, Australia, and south to Central and South America (although these are shared with Miami, as well). NYC looks east to Europe and the Middle East, primarily. In the coming decades, LA will be the rising star, if that isn't already the case.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
I'm going with Los Anchicago.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
I'll take Chicago+LA any day over just NYC.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 47,141 times
I may be a bit biased being a born New Yorker, but I have traveled to both LA and Chicago enough times to accumulate an well thought-out opinion.

For this argument, I would still have to say NYC because it offers so much more than the other cities in terms of housing opportunities, tourist attractions, restaurants etc. No city can match NYC's diversity and opportunity. It is symbolic of countless topics such as immigration (Ellis Island), art (East Village, SoHo), finance (a world famous financial district), communications (Empire State Building), theatre (Broadway), I could go on for ages. While other cities might have attractions which cover these areas, none are as symbolic as NYC's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.