Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 AM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
In Chicago it's all about Chicago, NY, LA, and to an extent Boston or Miami. No one knows or cares about Dallas, Houston, or Philly.

In LA, people are more cognizant of other places, but you still don't hear much of Houston, Dallas, or even Philly.
I'm not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
If you follow sports, you hear about Philly all the time. More than L.A., more than Chicago, about as much as Boston and almost as much as NYC. Just pointing out, sports are popular and sports fans think about the cities with good sports teams all the time. Miami would not have been in the news nearly as much over the last year were it not for Lebron, and Cleveland is no longer in the news for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
In Chicago it's all about Chicago, NY, LA, and to an extent Boston or Miami. No one knows or cares about Dallas, Houston, or Philly.

In LA, people are more cognizant of other places, but you still don't hear much of Houston, Dallas, or even Philly.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM

63 posts, read 274,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I shouldn't have included Philadelphia, it's really not that large and is only a Gamma. Personally I would say that Chicago is the greenest city and arguably the most educated. New York the economic center. Miami does have the largest concentration of international banks in the country. I would also say people in Los Angeles have the better lifestyle.

IMO New York is the greenest city in America. It has the lowest automobile to public transportation ratio in the country (something like 70% of the city's population do not drive cars and rely on public transit, LA was about 30%) Many other factors play into it of course, but as far as dependence on fuel, NY is as green as they come.

File:USCommutePatterns2006.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I shouldn't have included Philadelphia, it's really not that large and is only a Gamma. Personally I would say that Chicago is the greenest city and arguably the most educated. New York the economic center. Miami does have the largest concentration of international banks in the country. I would also say people in Los Angeles have the better lifestyle.

IMO New York is the greenest city in America. It has the lowest automobile to public transportation ratio in the country (something like 70% of the city's population do not drive cars and rely on public transit, LA was about 30%) Many other factors play into it of course, but as far as dependence on fuel, NY is as green as they come.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Sorry, posted twice on accident. I'm new!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:40 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBletch-PortlandOR View Post

Not on Sat-Monday this week NYC will have 0 public Transit, more if something happens to it.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBletch-PortlandOR View Post

I think public transit is awesome, but I wouldn't want to RELY on it...I'd like to have a 50/50 choice in the matter.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I think public transit is awesome, but I wouldn't want to RELY on it...I'd like to have a 50/50 choice in the matter.
When is Miami going to get its act together on public transit? It's far behind the others, with the exception of maybe L.A. and Philadelphia.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times
I don't understand you, that is a random and false claim.

Quote:
When is Miami going to get its act together on public transit? It's far behind the others, with the exception of maybe L.A. and Philadelphia.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I don't understand you, that is a random and false claim.
Par for the course. Check the posting history - full of inaccuracies, doesn't read threads, has had threads shut down, etc. Not worth responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City