Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's the primary dense job node, in addition to being the cultural capital, the tourism center, and the "face" of the region. I bet a lot of SJ residents say they're from SF when overseas.

Many metros have more jobs and residents outside the central municipality than inside. And they divide up those outer areas in whatever way makes sense as it happens, generally piecemeal. In SJ's case one particularly large zone has agglomerated including both an old regional subcenter and a lot of basic suburbia. That has nothing to do with what kind of center it is.

As for those metro numbers, that's county boundaries and Census Dept. procedure but not really telling about how things work. It's continuous "city" and they simply divided it by county lines. They did that because the developed corridor is narrower than the standards require for a single MSA. Regardless, county lines aren't a surgical method of explaining what's on the ground, just a convenient standard for easy statistics.
I think a lot of people at this point reference Silicon Valley rather than San Francisco for the same thing. It's actually a fairly well known term at this point and translated into multiple major languages, so the San Francisco connection isn't absolutely necessary anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 PM

35 posts, read 30,325 times
A much better comparison would be Downtown Oakland vs. Kansas City - that would be a competitive battle.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Not really. Oakland is experiencing a major Urban Renaissance, the likes of which has only been seen in Brooklyn and Chicago recently. Not quite Manhattan or SF levels, but Brooklyn or Chicago for sure.

Oakland is a whole different weight class.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:10 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
OyCrumbler, I'd say people refer to Silicon Valley as where they work, but I bet San Francisco stands in usually for where they live if they're overseas. In the US they might say "Bay Area" but even then it can confuse people from some regions like Tampa / St. Petersburg (who have the additional probem of people thinking their top city is named "Tampa Bay."

Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
OyCrumbler, I'd say people refer to Silicon Valley as where they work, but I bet San Francisco stands in usually for where they live if they're overseas. In the US they might say "Bay Area" but even then it can confuse people from some regions like Tampa / St. Petersburg (who have the additional probem of people thinking their top city is named "Tampa Bay."
San Jose is very well known through out the world, much more than being known in the U.S. since the rest of the country doesn't know San Jose, the least known biggest city in the U.S.. It's not the case in Europe and Asia. That's surprising to me, too, but that's the case.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:03 PM

166 posts, read 158,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWestObservor View Post
A much better comparison would be Downtown Oakland vs. Kansas City - that would be a competitive battle.
^^^^^This.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Kansas City. San Jose seemed ok and all, but it's fairly minor for what you expect from a downtown.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Kansas City. San Jose seemed ok and all, but it's fairly minor for what you expect from a downtown.
You never been there. It's even better than Chicago's Loop since it doesn't have a full service grocery store(South Loop doesn't count). There's no movie theater in the Loop, too. It's just office/apt. for students with some shopping on improved State Street. Other than theater district, not much else here in the Loop. Downtown SJ is major league since it has everything. Downtown SJ is substantial, that's what I'm saying.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
The Loop is basically a financial district. Bigger cities often work that way, with a big office core that pushes other uses outward. The City of London and Downtown Manhattan are like that too. That said, the Loop does have a decent number of residents and seems to have a decent variety of groceries, including larger formats like Target.

A smaller downtown has the luxury of being able to fit other uses closer in, because it lacks the big office core. SJ is successful that way.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 PM

That's not what the plan is for Loop. They hope to make it mixed used with entertainment, clubs, movie theaters, grocery stores and others. They want it to become an urban neighborhood just like Downtown San Jose. That's the plan by the city of Chicago: turn it into multi-use downtown in the future, not just financial center. The Loop only has City Target for grocery and that's it unless they just added another one that I don't know of. It would be after all this time of nothing but office district. Actually, it's for another discussion in the Chicago forum. I should stick to Downtown SJ vs Kansas City. Chicago has nothing to do with this subject. We should stick to this forum subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City